OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Boost your post count

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 445>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 13:48
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I've fallen asleep in a tank a couple of times.Tank
AAHHH, likewise! a fellow armor man are you?
No. A friend of mine had a WWII light tank (M5A1), and I crewed on it at many a machinegun shoot and WWII reenactment. I have a real soft spot for armor, and I loved that tank, but they are work, so sometimes I'd catch a nap in the driver's seat.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 15:53

Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

I've fallen asleep in a tank a couple of times.Tank
AAHHH, likewise! a fellow armor man are you?
No. A friend of mine had a WWII light tank (M5A1), and I crewed on it at many a machinegun shoot and WWII reenactment. I have a real soft spot for armor, and I loved that tank, but they are work, so sometimes I'd catch a nap in the driver's seat.
Got some interesting friends there Lynn!  I am afraid to ask what his wife drove!

I never got the opportuniy to drive around in a tank but a did get to play with the fire control system in an Abrahms at Aberdeen Proving Grounds while servicing a laser based swedish targeting and training system.  They would mount a laser in the cannon bore and put corner sensors on  the tank then do mock warfare. Pretty wild!  The laser system was accurate to within 10cm  at 1000 meters. all this while cruising at top speed, incrediable!

I bet you had a blast with the M5A1!  Lucky Dog. Wink
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 16:45
The M5 was a sweetheart to drive, but you had to have some strong biceps (brake steering). It had an automatic transmission, which made it easy to operate, and it was quite nimble and fast with its' two Cadalac flathead V-8s.
I had to drive another friend's M4 Sherman to a nearby airfield for an airshow and WWII tank battle. The Sherman has a manual 4-speed transmission that had to be double clutched to shift from 2nd to 3rd (something I never learned to do), and this one had a dragging left steering brake. I was driving down the highway trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd with no success. I decided I was going to give it another determined try, so I focused my attention to shifting before my speed dropped off to much, when I heard the guy up in the turret yelling at me. I looked up outta the hatch, and to my horror I saw this Nissan econo-box coming straight at me blowing its' horn (this could get ugly I thought). With my attention on shifting and not on where I was going, I had drifted into the opposing lane (thanks to the dragging brake), this was a fight I was going to win but I was going to be wrong on the accident report. I jerked the tank back into my lane and just left it in 2nd till we got off the highway. The driver of the Nissan's eyes were about the size of sausers. I refused to drive the Sherman anymore.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 17:20

The M5 was a sweetheart to drive, but you had to have some strong biceps (brake steering). It had an automatic transmission, which made it easy to operate, and it was quite nimble and fast with its' two Cadalac flathead V-8s.
I had to drive another friend's M4 Sherman to a nearby airfield for an airshow and WWII tank battle. The Sherman has a manual 4-speed transmission that had to be double clutched to shift from 2nd to 3rd (something I never learned to do), and this one had a dragging left steering brake. I was driving down the highway trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd with no success. I decided I was going to give it another determined try, so I focused my attention to shifting before my speed dropped off to much, when I heard the guy up in the turret yelling at me. I looked up outta the hatch, and to my horror I saw this Nissan econo-box coming straight at me blowing its' horn (this could get ugly I thought). With my attention on shifting and not on where I was going, I had drifted into the opposing lane (thanks to the dragging brake), this was a fight I was going to win but I was going to be wrong on the accident report. I jerked the tank back into my lane and just left it in 2nd till we got off the highway. The driver of the Nissan's eyes were about the size of sausers. I refused to drive the Sherman anymore.

Wow, close call!.....I'll bet the Sherman didn't smell too sweet inside after that....nor the nissan truck LOL.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:30
Wow, anyone watching 24 tonight??? Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - March/02/2009 at 20:31
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:34
                                               NO!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:38
H*ll yea two hour special!!!!!!!!
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:42
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

H*ll yea two hour special!!!!!!!!

Got your blood pumpin' huh??
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:44
O yea 24 is probably my favorite show of all time.....
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:53
I kind of like "House" myself. He's such an ass. Reminds me of someone..........

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 21:35
Who are you thinking of?
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 21:57
24!!!!!!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 22:08
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

24!!!!!!!

Talk about leaving ya hanging!! Can't wait until next Monday.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 22:39
What how did you see it already Im still in the first hour?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 11:13

i AM GOING FOR MY 2ND STAR TODAY!

--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 11:13
I will get it without trying hard!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 11:15
Jumping Gehosaphat?  ssp?
--Thomas Jefferson

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 11:15
What is for lunch?
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 11:16

Go for it!!!!!     Thunbs Up
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 11:25
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 445>
  Share Topic