OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help me for geting rust of my rifel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meat head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help me for geting rust of my rifel
    Posted: March/16/2008 at 12:25
hi i have a reminton 30-06 modle 700 adl an it get wet lots when i hunt an i use wd40 on it an it still rust some on the barel an somtimes on the bolt my frind tol me to us carb clener to take of the rust then us reglar oil u buy in a store walmart is close by to me they have difrent oil wich do i us an will the carb clener help thanxSmile
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 14:07
 If you have rust in places where you can't get at it, the best way to remove it is probably by electrolysis. 
  This is done by suspending the barreled action, minus the scope and stock, in a plastic bin with a special solution covering it. I think soda or some type of salts are used to make this solution, with distilled water.
 A lantern battery is connected to it with one wire and the other is connected to a chunk of scrap iron in the container. Leaving it connected for a few hours will cause every speck of rust to migrate from your gun to the scrap iron.
 Somebody here probably can fill in the details on how to do it right, or provide a link.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 15:22
I think RONK has watched too many Universal horror movies on late night TV.....

(  "The Son of Frankenstein" .....)   Electrodes---pulsations----scrap iron---LIGHTNING!!  Yikes

Wink  --Ed
meat head View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meat head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 16:19

hi and thanx ronk that sound like good advise but i dont unnerstan anyting u jest sayd is ther somthin i can get to spay on the rust to mak it go away insted of rigin up a electrcal cotrapshon im no electrican thanx?

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 16:30
 You're right about that being a fairly complicated undertaking.  There used to be a product known as Naval Jelly (as in U.S. Navy), that was good for removing rust on ships and such.  I don't know if it's still available.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 17:27
Option C would be to send your gun to Walter Birdsong for a Black-T finish.  Rust problem solved for ever.......

Roy
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 20:59

Now don't get Naval jelly and KY jelly mixed up......... your better half will be madder than a bothered Hornet!

take em!
Fbuckshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fbuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 21:19
By U self some 4 ought steel wool at the Wal-Mart. Take dat der can of ole WD-40 an spray down dat ole smoke pole reel good. Sop up that WD wit that steel wool and rub that thing like Granny's good silver ware. Hit wont hurt the blue'en none atol. Rub hit till the rust is gone and keep her greased up from now on. It'll shine like a butter nife licked clean afore hist stuck back in the butter.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 22:42
Use a copper wired brush dowsed with oil and gently rub the rusted area until the rust is gone, after that use a silicone impregnated gun and tool cloth to protect your rifle. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 23:13
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Use a copper wired brush dowsed with oil and gently rub the rusted area until the rust is gone, after that use a silicone impregnated gun and tool cloth to protect your rifle. 

This works pretty good too for protecting guns and fly reels.

http://www.corrosionx.com/

Edited by mike650 - March/16/2008 at 23:15
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 23:17
Is this a new product Mike?

Cyborg
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 23:27
No, it's been around a long time and is very popular out here in the West. It's excellent to use maintaining saltwater reels as well.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2008 at 23:30
AH yes I recall that stuff, I had a brain fart there.

Cyborg
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 17:41
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Now don't get Naval jelly and KY jelly mixed up......... your better half will be madder than a bothered Hornet!

( you also don't want to get loaded----I mean, AT A PARTY!!----and then come home and stumble into the bathroom looking for Vaseline and accidentally [ stupidly] grab Vicks Vapo-Rub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )      don't ask me how I know.....................Bucky
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 17:52
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

( you also don't want to get loaded----I mean, AT A PARTY!!----and then come home and stumble into the bathroom looking for Vaseline and accidentally [ stupidly] grab Vicks Vapo-Rub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )      don't ask me how I know.....................Bucky
 I know a guy who thought Vicks Vapo-rub might be an acceptable alternative to Preperation H at deer camp one year.
 Apparently it is not, and his hunting buddies still talk about how old Tim came flying out of the out-house, screaming in the most unearthly manner...
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 17:55
OOOOH!!!!!!! OUCH
I hope ya'll take every opportunity to remind him.....Just in case, you wouldn't want him to go through that again.   LOL

Cyborg
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 07:15
meat head, there are numerous ways to get the rust off as described above.  The bottom line is, how do you keep it from coming back.  That is what old Roy was eluding to and is not a bad idea.  That or some other type of protective coating.  Remember, wd40 also removes bluing and those areas should be touched up after removing the rust, at a minimum.  Birchwood Casey or products from Brownell's, cold blue, both almost identical in composition, an acid based solution, should be fine.  But, still bluing is not a great protective barrier, in contrast to popular belief.  Yes, it is better than untreated chromaloy steel, but given your problems, I would go with Roy's advice.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 11:31
That's exactly what I was eluding to in a nice way. Unless you spot rust at a very early stage, it will be an exercise in futility.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 12:15
Excellent point and idea.  Too many people wait too long before the problem gets out of hand.  My future son in law while we were bear hunting developed a little rust on his
Wby. Vanguard after a rain.  I told him multiple times to take care of it now.  Well, he kind of took care of it and by the next day, the rust had re-emerged.  I hope he has taken care of it again, because I have not seen the rifle since.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 13:24
I have been using Johnsons floor wax for years. Wood Barrel and all. This will not darken the wood and it gives the barrel water resistant finish Where the oil will put a film over any water drops making them slower to dry. The wax will not collect grit like oil and the action stays cleaner.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic