OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1st Focal plane reticle question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 10:14
Jon A.
You bring a lot of valid points to town, and what you state is well known.
I just speak for my self, the way I hunt, the way my aging eyes work.

Last fall I used two rifles on moose hunt in bear infested areas.
One Ruger in 35 Whelen with S&B Classic 1,5-6x42, reticle #4 FFP, and a Ruger 338 Winmag with Leupold VXIII 2,5-8x36, reticle #4, SFP.  
Not comparable scopes optically I must admit, but this was mostly daytime hunting in woodland  on relatively short ranges.

And without doubt, I felt moore comfortable with the Leupold set up, than the S&B in close cover.  Optically the S&b was in another league than the Leupold, but the way I hunted, the difference in optical quality did not matter that much.

Even though the way you discribe the FFP pros, they dont work as such for me.
I guess old habits plays a major role, one likes what one gets used to ( ref a good single malt from Islay for instance  Smile ) 

The point is the way I see it,  that each must determine by himself what feels most comfortable and logical regarding scopes.
But one can also avoid some traps learning about others experience.
And as such, this is an unique site.

I never ment to banter the FFP set up if anybody got that impression, there must be something right about it the way the Central Europeeans cling to it Wink

Technica.
Thanks for the input, I will defenately look around for a #1 and try it out.
Seawolf
ADKHunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADKHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 12:13
Thanks everyone, you've given me a lot of information.

I still have a couple questions:  When I look at the pictures of the different reticles available, would that picture be representative of the lowest or highest power setting? I had been assuming it was at the lowest, and that, if a #4 was OK for my purposes at low power for low light, then it should  be fine at higher power in low light also since the reticle would be even thicker and easier to see.

Second, can anyone tell me if the reticle on the Zeiss 4a is the same as the #20 Z-plex without the top verticle post? Also, is the thickness of the heavy sections on the 4a, the #20, and the #1 all the same as they appear in the pictures?
Lee
doctor duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 19:48
 You should try to look at all the reticle choices you can firsthand. I assure you no one can describe them for you well enough for you to decide on such an important part of  the scope package. I made that mistake once. I personally can not see the need for FFP. SFP works fine enough. If it is too dark to see the reticle it is more than likely past legal shooting time. FFP reticles are not conducive to target shooting. My .02c.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 18:16
NO WAY THIS WILL DISAPPEAR IN LOW LIGHT AND YES ITS 2nd focal plane
I won both FFP and SFP and the scope below is my go-to scope
conquest 3-9x40 #4

Measurements 40 and 44 mm Conquest
A (horizontal thick bar spacing) is 50,4-17" @ 100 y,
B (= Thickness of horzontal bars) is 10,8 - 3,6" @ 100 y,
C (= Thickness of thin - aiming - cross) is 1,1 - 0,4" @ 100 y.

So with 17" spacing @ high X you are 17/2 = 8 1/2 inches into the game body silhouette when the still visible edge of the horzontal bar touches the brisket.

Edited by SAKO75 - November/18/2008 at 18:18
SGT_Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGT_Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2008 at 21:20
My favorite scope happens to be a sfp scope made by zeiss, 3-12 x 56 w/ no. 40 illuminated reticle.

no line is as visible in the dark as a small red dot.

I shoot a lot of long range (1k +) and do not like ffp scopes. I understand the idea for ranging, however we all have laser range finders anyway and even though I went to public school I can multiply and divide.

I simply do not like the idea of my small target being totally obscured by the "swelling cross hair"

My suggestion, get some friends together and go to a place where you are likely to be able to view the various models and determin your preference. As you may have noticed this topic alone keeps many different companies in business.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 05:16
Originally posted by SGT_Shooter SGT_Shooter wrote:

I understand the idea for ranging, however we all have laser range finders anyway and even though I went to public school I can multiply and divide.

If ranging is the only application you see for them, it is understandable you don't have much use for them.  My wife doesn't have much use for a welder either.       Wink 
Quote I simply do not like the idea of my small target being totally obscured by the "swelling cross hair"

Out of curiosity, what is it you shoot from 1000 yds that is "totally obscured" by a P4F, GenII XR, etc?
SGT_Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGT_Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 12:02
6 - 8" steel gongs at about 1k meters.

I use a sfp Zeiss 6-24 x 56 on a TRG 41 in .300WM I am good to rouglhy 1300 meters without going to hold overs

paper targets up to about 600 - 800 meters after that they are all sttel to keep from having to walk to them

I hope your curiosity is satisfied, I also hope we can determine that the reason people still make them both is not everyone sees them the same. I have my preferences as you have yours.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 14:14
Originally posted by SGT_Shooter SGT_Shooter wrote:

I hope your curiosity is satisfied, I also hope we can determine that the reason people still make them both is not everyone sees them the same. I have my preferences as you have yours.

Of course, using what we like is the name of the game.  I'm just trying to keep the information accurate--the two reticles mentioned above as an example, will not "totally obscure" a 6" target at 1000--not even close.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 10:06
Open iron sights never obscure the target...
(introduction of a little levity in the conversation)
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 14:04
I shoot from the hip, so my sighting system never obscures the target when I close my eyes and pull the trigger  Naughty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic