OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Springfield M21 - best scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Springfield M21 - best scope?
    Posted: March/23/2008 at 21:12

I have been researching on this site for a few months now and I need a little help from you experienced guys.  I am fairly new to long distance shooting, but so far I very much enjoy shooting my Springfield M21 Tactical rifle.  I have the Springfield government 6x40 scope on it with the Springfield scope mount.  I got those items reasonable priced with coupons when I bought the rifle.  The scope is not too bad with the range finder built in, but I don’t like the adjustment knobs, or lack of.  I am looking for a scope that is more fitting to the M21 and better for target shooting at long distances.  I plan on shooting distant targets 300-600 yards a way and further some day.  Here are my thoughts on suitable scopes, but I am open to other ideas as well.

Zeiss 4.5-14x50 mil-dot, target knobs for about $900

IOR 4-14x50 illuminated MP-8 for about $1,100

NXS 3.5-15x50 mil-dot for about $1,400

Zeiss 6.5-20x50 mil-dot, target knobs for about $1,000

IOR 6-24x50 illuminated MP-8 for about $1,300

NXS 5.5-22x50 mil-dot for about $1,500

I am leaning towards the IOR 6-24x50 since I think it’s well rounded and a good value.  Also, is my Springfield scope mount sufficient or is it recommended to go with another type?

OBTW, this site has been great and the information helped me decided on a Pentax PF-65 ED II 20-60x spotting scope and a Nikon Monarch 1200 laser range finder.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brad

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 21:27
I am selling an IOR 6-24x50 in the for sale section for $1050.  It is in like new condition.  I had in on my rifle for 70 rounds and then I sold the rifle. 
http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10102
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 16:52
Looks like any  of your consideration would be good picks. On your mount I would go with a Smith enterprise 3rd generation M14 mount. It is the sturdiest mount I know of for the M14/M1A. It's not cheap but it doesn't make since use out dated or cheap mounts with such a nice rifle and scope as you are considering. If your M21 has the McMillan stock with the adjustable comb height, you would be good to go; if not you will need a leather cheek pad. Thats MHO.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
M21 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 20:00
supertool,

I noticed it in the for sale section along with another one which recently sold.  Are there any issues with these scopes?    Thanks for the heads up, it's a contender, just looking to hear some comments from others.

Beltfed,

Thanks for the lead on the scope mount.  Yes a $300 mount is expensive, but as you say on a nice rig like this it makes sense.  I have the real nice wood stock with the adjustable cheek pad.  It's the standard M21 from Springfield.  Any other comments on the best scope choice?

Thanks guys.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 20:06
Originally posted by M21 M21 wrote:

supertool,

Are there any issues with these scopes?   

Not that I know of.  This one passed the box test and the glass looks great.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic