OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Kimber's for 08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Kimber's for 08
    Posted: March/25/2008 at 09:22
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 12:42
Nice looking rifles.  Do you own any Kimbers and what is your experience, if you do?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 14:35
Yes, had an 84M in 7-08. I like them very much.  Every once in awhile you can get one that doesn't shoot real well that can drive you bonkers. I think all the way around, they are excellent light weight rifles.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 16:50
WELL! I'm so glad Kimber has decided to make some rifles that have a little weight to them! That 300 Win Mag Sonora looks neato.  I could live without the fluted barrel, but that's not anything to worry about.  They look really nice.  Now if I could just win the Powerball............ 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 16:55
Yep, Kimbers are real beauties.

Even have a "tactical" rifle now....Didn't know that.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 18:38
The Senora looks real interesting to me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2008 at 20:35
  I've worked on a couple 8400 synthetics in .325 WSM for a couple buddies of mine. ( Mounting scopes, slings, etc.) They are pretty nice rifles, but for the money, I don't find them extraordinary.
They put some fine wood on some of the other models, though.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 22:36
im pondering the thought of buying a kimber, not sure of the caliber yet, but the damn thing will get a vx3 on it i know that much, .338win .338 fed 7wsm something like that looks good to me, how do they compare to a sako 85 as far as looks and action quality??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 01:19
Good to have you back Hunter!

Looks is a totally subjective thing.  Personally, I'd probably get the Kimber.  It's hard to compare the actions, because they are two totally opposite schools of thought in action design, and both are very well executed and high quality.  The Kimber is the classic Mauser or more properly, the Winchester M70 style action, 2-lug controlled round feed, long claw extractor, standing ejector, 3 position safety design.  It is a scaled down, lightened M70 clone.  The Sako 85 is a modern 3 lug semi-CRF, standing ejector, short bolt lift design.  It is extremely smooth operating, much smoother than the Kimber by design, and has several innovative features.  I would call the action quality between the two a draw, though the Sako 85 action has a rather wierd recoil lug design, but it doesn't present any real functional disadvantage.  I think the Sako factory trigger is a little better, but Kimbers as a whole generally seem to come with nicer wood.  In the basic Classic model, the Kimber is less expensive.

The Kimber is a more trim, compact, lighter package, whereas the Sako is a typical mid-weight sporter.  If you were buying a rifle for mountain hunting, the Kimber might be a better choice, but if you prefer the handling qualities of a typical 7.5 lb hunting rifle, the Sako might be more suited to you.  I personally really like the changes to the Sako 85's walnut stock about as much as I like the Kimber stock, even though they are proportionally different, yet both of the "American Classic" design.  Stock shape and ergonomics is an "eye of the beholder," personal preference thing.

Look at and handle both and decide for yourself, because there is no right and wrong answer and you'll get differing opinions.  Either way, you'll be getting a nice rifle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic