OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scopes: not too big, not too small, just right

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 10:34
I'm with ya, Koshkin.  The 1.5-6X, 2-7X, and 3-9X class is my favorite for a general hunting scope.  They offer the best compromise between great low magnification FOV, decent high end zoom, and nice compactness.  I too view the now discontinued Kahles 2-7X36 as an ideal scope, and it is one of my all-time favorites that I will never part with.  I have both the 2-7X36 AH and CL, in fact.  Wonderful little scopes!  I also am quite fond of the 2.5-10X configuration in a 30mm scope, and 10X is personally the upper limit for magnification I'm interested in using on any big game hunting rifle.

300S&W, it just so happens that my favorite Leupold scope is the VariX / VX-III 1.75-6X32.  A wonderful, optically excellent little compact scope that is ideal for a lightweight rifle.  I have 2 of those scopes, but mine are the VariX III models with the shorter tube length.

I hope the "mid range" class of scopes don't get ignored by manufacturers as shooters subscribe to the "more is better" point of view. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 13:06
             Flame     I dare ya to gas me again, Squeezer!!  Flame%20Thrower
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 14:28
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Flame     I dare ya to gas me again, Squeezer!!  Flame%20Thrower
..OK then!!!!...................................Squeezer!FarterED!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 16:46
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

........However, the lower powered variables have a great market place, especially when mated with DGR`s, low to moderate/medium range calibers like the popular 338 Fed., 350 Remy Mag., on the lever carbines chambered in 45/70, 450 Marlin and 30-30`s............

Not quite sure I would put the 338 Fed in the "Popular" category.  I'm not sure I've even seen a gun in that chamber yet!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic