OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

bore cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bore cleaning
    Posted: March/30/2008 at 09:39
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 09:53

Looks like I've been using the wrong bore guide all these years according to the post, because a barrel brush will and has gone through my Stoney Point bore guide. Guess I need a Lucas two piece.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 12:26
wanted to post this one- some stuff here I've never seen before-- I sure its one of 5000 out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 12:38
Thank you for posting this, Dale.

Nobody like Barnes CR-10??  
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 16:00
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Looks like I've been using the wrong bore guide all these years according to the post, because a barrel brush will and has gone through my Stoney Point bore guide. Guess I need a Lucas two piece.

Wow, did I make a bad choice long ago getting Dewey bore guides?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 18:29
Any bore guide is better than no bore guide.  All you're trying to do is line up the jag with the bore center so it doesn't use the chamber shoulder as a ramp and dig a hole in the bottom of the neck, which it will do over time.

I love cleaning technique threads, the witches and warlocks come out of hiding!
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 22:01
yes and the alchemists and magicians also
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2008 at 22:19
Isn't that thte truth.  I help run a 1 day event with about 60 bench shooters.  These guys shoot 10 rounds and clean to bare metal.  Each year thre's one or two guys that are using a "new" method of cleaning.  The next year everyone is using it, but one or two more guys have a "new" method they swear by.  Last year it was peroxide after shooters choice then acetone to dry.

I imagine this Saturday the range is going to have a real peculiar odor to it as 58 shooters get out the chemicals.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 12:45
Looks like I've been using the wrong bore guide all these years according to the post, because a barrel brush will and has gone through my Stoney Point bore guide. 
I'm sure thats tongue in cheek.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 15:26
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Looks like I've been using the wrong bore guide all these years according to the post, because a barrel brush will and has gone through my Stoney Point bore guide. 

Big%20Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 15:32
amazes me how so many different people get excellent results, using which seems at times, to be using methods that are at complete odds with one another

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 16:10

More tongue than cheek, Dale. Wink 
No smartassery inferred, nor implied.

I pride myself on having clean weapons and buying a claimed superior cleaning devise is not out of the question for me at all. I try to buy the best gear my budget (and wife) will allow and have no problem picking up a 2 piece Lucas bore guide if it does a better job than my current guide. 
My cheap and very old Stoney Point guide works loose too easily when in use, so maybe the Lucas is indeed the answer.
I use a Dewey bore guide for my AR which I like better.  
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2008 at 16:32
I'll bet your methods works great--- no need to change -- if a parts worn out thats another matter.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 06:51

amazes me how so many different people get excellent results, using which seems at times, to be using methods that are at complete odds with one another
   No kidding, just when you think your finally using the "correct methods", and getting good results, two years later your reading something somewhere that you have basically been damaging your guns all along. Too many opinions on proper gun care & barrel break-in for me. A guy could drive himself insane trying to follow everyones opinions on the best procedures.  I just stay with what I've been doing for years, and with no issues.

Edited by yellowdog - April/06/2008 at 06:52
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 14:46
On the topic of bore cleaning.  Is that bore snake any good?  I see that you have to buy a different one for each caliber, though.  It seems like it would be an easy way to clean a bore.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2008 at 15:17
About all a bore brush will do is get out loose carbon and some powder residue.  It works good for a quick brush out but don't use them to replace a proper cleaning.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Charlie-bolted View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie-bolted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 07:39
Mike is a pretty good guy and is prompt in getting you his bore guide. Its a very good tool .. does its job well, but I'm still spending lots of time cleaning. I spent 4 days cleaning my gun after 35 rounds and still feel I can get more copper out of it..  -factory rifle, dangit.! I guess I'm gonna have to do the speedy method .
some days we just get stuck and bogged down, Some days all u can do is smile and wait for someone to kindly remove your butt from the hole you find it wedged into.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 09:14
Originally posted by Charlie-bolted Charlie-bolted wrote:

Mike is a pretty good guy and is prompt in getting you his bore guide. Its a very good tool .. does its job well, but I'm still spending lots of time cleaning. I spent 4 days cleaning my gun after 35 rounds and still feel I can get more copper out of it..  -factory rifle, dangit.! I guess I'm gonna have to do the speedy method .

Clean less + shoot more = Enjoy your rifle and shooting more.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 18:24
Good go 8's. Pull the trigger and it all gets blown out the other end. If the theory of only shooting a clean bore is true, then you should never shoot a second shot. I like to shoot a lot, so a partialy fouled bore is more consistant to all shots fired from the average rifle. Consistancy is the answer to hitting the target more often. Too much of a good thing is usually a bad thing whether it is water, wine or women. all can be a good thing but to much is bad more often.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 03:06
3-tens, agree with you on that one. I went into a cleaning frenzy after Forsters bore foam came on the market. Shooting became a pain in the butt, because it was followed by an hour of cleaning. My rifle started shooting worse and worse, and I cleaned more and more. Eventually I saw the connection. Now, I shoot, run a copper brush through it with shooters choice, a few jags and I am done. 15 min tops. And my rifle is back to its old self.
Each rifle is unique, each shooter is unique and therefore I cannot prescribe how others must do it, but less cleaning works for me. My main objective is to prevent barrel corrosion and pitting, not removing copper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic