OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need some fitment advice...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some fitment advice...
    Posted: March/30/2008 at 18:30
Hello everyone.

I'm new here, but working with an instructor who is not new to the game.

Anyway, I have made some selections from the SWFA offerings, mainly driven by the fact that SWFA is the current place to get this great scope (SS10X42M). The Tasco version was issued to the US Military for sniper use, and my Instructor has one of these, and was duly impressed with the quality in actual "real world" use. Once I learned that Tasco was not making them any more, I thought I might have to troll eBay until I found one (he won't part with his). Once I learned SWFA had them, I was here!

Back on topic, this is to be mounted onto a Remington 511 bolt-action .22 rifle. This is simply to hone my breathing and other rudimentary skills with very cheap ammo at short (100 meter) distance. The wind effect and bullet drop for a .22 at this distance will be fun to work around as well. I will build my own ballistics chart based on that rifle's performance, and really learn the game well that way I think.  I am working toward a .308 (possibly the Savage 12TR single-shot, or a Remington 700) for actual use, but for now, I have this rifle, and the trigger time is needed to get me back up to par.

So, here's my SWFA shopping list to make this happen:

PRODUCT SKU COLOR SIZE QUANTITY PRICE
Butler Creek Lens Caps 026K -- -- < id=Quantity_474540 maxLength=4 size=4 value=1 name=Quantity_474540> < =".Cart.Quantity_474540.value='0';.Cart.submit;" =submit value=Delete name=delete> $15.95
[URL=http://www.supersniper.com]SuperSniper[/URL] 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope SS10X42M -- -- < id=Quantity_474541 maxLength=4 size=4 value=1 name=Quantity_474541> < =".Cart.Quantity_474541.value='0';.Cart.submit;" =submit value=Delete name=delete> $399.95
[URL=http://www.supersniper.com]SuperSniper[/URL] 42mm Sun Shade SHDHO44 -- -- < id=Quantity_474542 maxLength=4 size=4 value=1 name=Quantity_474542> < =".Cart.Quantity_474542.value='0';.Cart.submit;" =submit value=Delete name=delete> $14.95
Mil-Dot Master MD1 -- -- < id=Quantity_474546 maxLength=4 size=4 value=1 name=Quantity_474546> < =".Cart.Quantity_474546.value='0';.Cart.submit;" =submit value=Delete name=delete> $29.95
New Warne Maxima 1 Piece Base A994G -- -- < id=Quantity_474552 maxLength=4 size=4 value=1 name=Quantity_474552> < =".Cart.Quantity_474552.value='0';.Cart.submit;" =submit value=Delete name=delete> $9.95
B-Square Sport Utility 30mm Rings 27064 -- -- < id=Quantity_474565 maxLength=4 size=4 value=1 name=Quantity_474565> < =".Cart.Quantity_474565.value='0';.Cart.submit;" =submit value=Delete name=delete> $5.95

This scope is way nicer than it needs to be for this use, but also way under-priced for what you get. Moving to an IOR or Schmidt & Bender on the 'real' target rifle will not be a big stretch, as moving from a typical cheap typical .22 scope would be.

My main question is: do you think this arrangement of parts in my list above will work to mount this cope on the Remington 511? It is a round-top receiver (I will drill it). Do I need to consider an angled mount for example? The rifle is so old that there is very little mounting data that I can find for it.

I don't want to spend a ton mounting the optics, but I don't want to buy the wrong parts either.

Naturally, the mount will be lapped to the receiver, and the rings will be lapped before the scope is mounted.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

J!m

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic