OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.22 mag scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apwood88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .22 mag scopes
    Posted: April/03/2008 at 14:39

I'm looking to buy my father a Marlin .22 mag for Father's Day and I just wanted to get some feedback on BSA scopes, specifically what scope would work well on a .22 mag and concerning the the effectiveness of BSA scopes in general.  All comments are appreciated.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 14:56
My experience with BSA is to stay away.  You would be much better off with something like a Bushnell Legend.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 15:09
Agreed
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 19:21
Welcome to The OT.

I just put a Nikon 4x Prostaff Rimfire from SWFA's Sample List on my .22 and it works well enough for me. I think I paid $89 for it.
Do you have a budget in mind?  
apwood88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apwood88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2008 at 19:24
probably around the $100 range, no more than 150
chev385 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chev385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 03:07
just get the pride fowler scope. 4 the 22mag it is the sh*t, just got mine zerod @100 killed a tree rat @281yards on the first shot! also stay away from the bsa sweet series they dont work to well on the mag, but they do work for the LRExcellent 
shane
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 11:54
I have a Sightron S1 with mil dot reticle on a 22 and for the price I dont think you can beat it. The mil dots work well for known hold over marks.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 12:23
 I'd go with cheaptrick's advice .... but I kind of like the mil-dot ... my favorite .... if the sightron's in that price range . Staw away from BSA's ... yuck ... or hammers ! I have no experience with sightron's so I'm lost on that advice . 
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 14:51
If you do go with a BSA scope I would get a fixed or low powered variable. BSA and others I have tried get pretty fuzzy when cranked up to 10X and beyond.
I like the scopes already mentioned and the Weaver rimfire scopes.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 03:57
Stay away from BSA. I picked up a Weaver Classic 4x32 shotgun scope recently that I'll be putting on my Winchester 9422 in 22mag. Shotgun scopes work fine because for the most part they, like a rimfire scope, have their parallax set for 50yards. I haven't tried the Sightron S1 3-9x32 that someone suggested but it has a stellar reputation. Either would make a great hunting or plinking scope.

A step up, but out of your budget would be a Weaver Classic Rimfire 3-9x32 with an adjustable objective (AO). AO is a must mainly for fine target shooting. Any of these would look good because all are relatively small.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic