OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Under ground range

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 14:22
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Pyro- use the time you're  planning to spend on building this plywood contraption, to work  for profit for somebody else, instead.
 Use the money you make doing that, to buy (used ?) concrete pipe. Even 24-inch would work just fine.
  That way you won't need to worry about it caving in on some kid playing on top of it fifteen years from now.

we are in the process of that right now, figure we can market it to be a part of our dirt outfit, selling them to people who have money and like to shoot and have enough land to build one on, we thought hey if it works we could start advertising these things.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 17:08
Originally posted by nsaqam nsaqam wrote:

Pyro6999, I live in MN too and my family is heavily involved with Logix ICF as well as home construction. I really like your idea. I would go with the treated plywood covered with the rubber membrane that is used for wood basements and the outside of ICF basements. If wood basements can support entire houses and remain leak free for 15 years guaranteed I'm sure it can support 2 feet of sandy soil and an annual snow load of 6 feet and remain leak free.  Since my father is the Midwest representative for Logix ICF I could get returned and damaged blocks for next to nothing so I was seriously considering building a range of my own out of the back of my barn. If you go with plywood and studs you may want to consider going with an A-frame type tunnel. You'd use less material and waterproofing would be easier because any water would immediately run down the sides instead of sitting on top and possibly pooling there. Backfilling would be easier I would think too.
As for lead contamination, if this became an issue then restrict the range to Barnes or the new Nosler E-tip unleaded bullets. More and more of these types of bullets are going to be emerging in the future. You could have a leg up on everyone else as far as these unleaded bullets go.
I say you go for it and keep us informed. I'd love to see the range in person.
Good luck.

There's a big difference between supporting a house around the perimeter, with the load transferred straight down onto a footer,  and supporting a load across a span.
 I agree that an A-frame configuration would go a long way, though
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 17:13
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Pyro- use the time you're  planning to spend on building this plywood contraption, to work  for profit for somebody else, instead.
 Use the money you make doing that, to buy (used ?) concrete pipe. Even 24-inch would work just fine.
  That way you won't need to worry about it caving in on some kid playing on top of it fifteen years from now.

we are in the process of that right now, figure we can market it to be a part of our dirt outfit, selling them to people who have money and like to shoot and have enough land to build one on, we thought hey if it works we could start advertising these things.

You could have a real niche doing that.  I don't think I've ever seen a contractor specifically advertise underground ranges.  I hope you succeed, and get rich doing it!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 18:33

You could have a real niche doing that.  I don't think I've ever seen a contractor specifically advertise underground ranges.  I hope you succeed, and get rich doing it!
+2 Then he can build us all one for a very low low price.... right buddy?  I hope it works out.It would be way cool to walk into the basement open a door sit at the bench and blam blam blam  and never step out side.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 20:19
well thats what were hoping for here, but ours will be a test run, after we get it right we will offer several options to go with it, if you want a pipe setup that would be an option we are also talking about exanding to doing a 50yd pistol range of the rifle range as well, we could also turn this into a storm shelter for tornado's if needed. the options for this could be limitless really. i forsee us putting some provisions in for a reloading bench right there. and if you guys would like us to come build you one at your place we will fly or drive if you live close enough an gladly build one for you.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 22:17
Sounds like something I saw in Iraq. The fastest thing is concrete pipe but expensive. When they built long tunnels they would dig a trench two feet or more deep depending on if they expected traffic to cross or not and just over 8 feet wide. Then depending on funding they would either pour reinforced concrete or lay wood sheeting down with 2x6 studs about every  foot with blocking. Then they would drive a nail through about every ten feet at the center line of the trench. Then they nailed down 3/4 plywood and rolled a rubber cover on it. Once that was done they would cover it up and grade it so after a month or so you couldn't tell anything was done. While that was being done they would again depending on budget hire some locals to go in and dig under the concrete or wood a 3 foot wide and about 5 foot deep tunnel using the center nails for a guide. As they were digging they would spray a water based sealer on the walls to help strengthen the sides. Thus I discovered that Iraq is a wonder land of tunnels. And they are fast and profecient, and alot of our commanders are still clueless as to how so many IED's are set undetected. Loco
God please help our soldiers. Amen

Edited by Sgt. D - April/19/2008 at 22:20
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
nsaqam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsaqam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 01:57

There's a big difference between supporting a house around the perimeter, with the load transferred straight down onto a footer,  and supporting a load across a span.
 I agree that an A-frame configuration would go a long way, though
I totally agree with you about the load carrying capacity and that's why a steep sided A-frame was suggested. The membrane would have a much easier job of shedding water as well because there wouldn't be anyplace for the water to pool up. Far less risk of collapse than a roof over a span too. Plus using standard 8 foot studs with a 4 foot wide floor would make a height of around 7' inside, enough to walk to the other end.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 17:11
Good luck on your project, Hunter!  What construction method are you planning for the shooting bench room in front of the tunnel?  What are you planning for your bullet trap as well as access to the trap and shooting room? 

Once you get finished with yours, let me know.  I will pay all of your travel and equipment expenses, plus a reasonable profit for you to build me one of those $5000 underground shooting ranges, as I can't buy building materials sufficient for the job that cheaply, or even 5X that much.  Excellent
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 17:43
in your soil i dont think i could either!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 19:53
 So sell him some of your soil!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 20:31
good idea $4.20 a gal diesel fuel to texas thousands of times that would be cheap
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 20:52

good idea $4.20 a gal diesel fuel to texas thousands of times that would be cheap

That's not your problem as long as you save the receipts....Wink
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 20:54
yeah thats true, but i dont think ted would wanna pay $1000 for ten yards of minnesota sand when he would need about 1000yds of it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 21:03

Ya never know. Some of those Texas fellas burn their extra money just to be rid of it.  It appears that there can be too much of a good thing...

Don't worry about Ted. You're the one trying to make a tidy profit here!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 21:04
i would still make an hourly wage my boss might make a buck or two though
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 11:27

Ya never know. Some of those Texas fellas burn their extra money just to be rid of it.  It appears that there can be too much of a good thing...

Don't worry about Ted. You're the one trying to make a tidy profit here!

I appreciate the fact you've "got my back" there, Ron!Wink
Loco
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 17:01
Sorry   I thought you were done with this thread...
                         Boy, is my face red!                                             Big%20Grin               
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 20:48
ever heard the saying dont mess with texas??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 20:52

ever heard the saying dont mess with texas??

There is a different quote that is coming to my mind! "There are two things that come out of Texas........." Whistling
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 21:03
swfa and how bout dem cowboys???
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic