OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best load for Savage 10FP 308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 12:56
Update! With much experimenting. I got some new unfired Winchester brass, primed them with Federal large rifle match primers, and used both Varget and Winchester 748 powder to find my most accurate load for the 175gr SMK.
Starting with Varget; I started my testing with the most accurate load I had using the military brass, and worked up to the maximum load in the Sierra manual in .2 gr. increments. The groups that I got were pretty consistant, they were all about 1 1/4" give or take a 1/4", with no sign of excessive preassure.
I tried Win. 748 starting at my most accurate load in military brass and working up to the maximum load in the Sierra manual. Since the weight differences between my starting load and the maximum load were so great, I moved up in .5gr. increments to see if there were any signs of excessive preassure and what might be the most accurate. I had no excessive preassure signs, and my groups shrank between 42.5 and 43.5gr.s with 43.0gr.s being the smallest. I then tried moving up in .1gr increments from 42.5 to 43.5gr.s. Again 43.0gr. was the most accurate at about 5/8 to 3/4 inch groups.
I was supprised to see that Win 748 has shown to give me the smallest groups over Varget in both Winchester and military cases, at least in this rifle.
I have velocity info in my notes, but there not here now.
My next experiment, I'm going to try Hornady 178gr AMAX and 43.0gr.s of Win748.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 14:47
This my 100yd target. The group on the right is my fouler shots, and the group on the left is my current load.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 14:56
This is a 4 shot group from 200yds. One of the lower right shots (not sure which one) was from sighting in at 200yds.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 15:10
This is my 300yd target. The group is still under 1 MOA. The 100 and 300yd groups were 5 shot groups, while the 200yd group is only 4 shots.
I shot a 5 shot group with 175 SMK and 178 A-MAX yesterday, changing only the bullet in the load. I hope to post those two groups as they show no difference between the two.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 15:20
Nice that the groups stayed consistent even with a bullet change.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 16:29
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Yeah, I didn't get very good results with 175gr SMK's.
I only tried them with Varget, but it was a bust for me.
You have a 1 in 10 twist barrel, so they may well work for you. (Should)

Most the .308 shooters in my AO are using Varget too.

I run 168gr. SMK's and 45.5gr. of Varget with CCI BR-2 primers.
I have shot this same load for quite awhile with good results.

Here's a 5 shot, 100 yd group with that load.

Very nice, Mark.  (Looks like one shot was a little low and left, though...)
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 16:33
KB this is a Savsge 10FP we're talking about, not Black Betty. But I'm working on it.

Edited by BeltFed - July/09/2009 at 16:34
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 06:29
Black Betty IS a Remington.  He only has a savage.  Roll on Floor Laughing   
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 09:27
That will give you something to strive for.  Imagine you are the little engine that could and keep saying "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can".  Laugh  Sorry, that was the bedtime story Abbie wanted read last night.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 11:24
This has turned into the mad reloaders quest to stack bullets.
I went to the range to group and chronograph some loads using 178gr A-MAX bullets, but it got to dark to chronograph, so I decided to compare two loads. I shot a 5 shot group each using the 175gr SMK and 178gr A-MAX, everything else was the same, powder, primer, case, etc.. The group on top is the SMK, and the bottom one is the A-MAX. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the two at 100yds.
What do you think?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 11:28
Pictures aren't postingHead Banger
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 11:29
Looks good to me.  Bucky

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 11:31
Cencored
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 04:50
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Black Betty IS a Remington.  He only has a savage.  Roll on Floor Laughing   

Remington leg humpers........Big Grin

I've seen a couple of Savages at my range that were as Rifledude would say "spooky accurate" too. Savage builds a good gun!!   

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 10:35

Pics aren't working today, for some reason.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 14:52

Been posted here before, but these absolutely SICK groups were shot by Mr. Mike McDonald using a new Savage 10FPLE and 2 different loads, one of which was factory ammo.....while prone in the dirt.
Thats just plain FILTHY!!! Shocked

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 14:53

Been posted here before, but these absolutely SICK groups were shot by Mr. Mike McDonald using a new Savage 10FPLE and 2 different loads, one of which was factory ammo.....while prone in the dirt.
Thats just plain FILTHY!!! Shocked

boy i guess
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 18:42
Well, today the nut behind my remmy came loose.  I shoot horrible. Sad

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 13:22

Same for me last weekend, Mike. My groups sucked!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 15:25

Same for me last weekend, Mike. My groups sucked!

why did you try to  shoot from the other side of the bench?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic