OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1st impressions! New Marlin XL7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 18:06
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 14:40

take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 14:40

take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 14:43
Was hoping to get to the range today..... but doesn't look like we'll make it!  Will post some pics of the target if we get it shooting nice.

Pretty impressed with both the rifle and the scope so far.  Only had a chance to look thru the scope in the backyard... but I like what I see.
take em!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 19:11
Unbelievable!!  The price is incredible!!  I want one for $279!!!   Pig
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
dowby77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dowby77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 18:45
can you post pics even if you dont get it shooting nice?
gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 14:55
Hi Big;
For the price, a very nice rifle;

ferrett
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2009 at 22:13
I did get to shoot it last week.... I have to adjust the trigger!  I haven't had a chance to put it on the pull guage, but it seems kind of heavy.  I think it's got some potential.  But I'm no expert.... it's probably better than I am.  We'll see.
take em!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2009 at 23:28
well somebody throw up a target and take some photos of the way it groups.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jayd4wg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayd4wg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 13:37
how's this for ressurecting an old thread with style?

the target was shot in the first 50 rounds this rifle ever fired.  It has since been thru about 200+ rounds, cleaned rarely, and the groups are only improving.  I have enough brass to begin hand loads now, but I need to get the hardware.  I'm going to get a Lee Hand Press (not the hammer and block of wood Lee Loader) and a set of neck size only dies, a tub of (hopefully) Varget and a variety of bullets to see what it likes.  Probably going to stay in the 150 or 165 range, and after this summer my barrel will be cut to ~20 inches, maybe a bit less.  Something about a carbine length .308 and the accuracy increase to be seen with a shorter barrel...I can't wait!  But first...a new scope, and a CHEAP one too...looking for input on a mildot that can be had under 100 bucks.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 14:42
Looks like it/you shoot well.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 16:32
Why would you cut the barrel?  It's already a short rifle, and it's already an accurate rifle.  Cutting the barrel will just make it louder, increase the muzzle jump, and cost you velocity.  Plus, you'll have to re-crown it and hope that you do a good job.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 16:36
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

Why would you cut the barrel?  It's already a short rifle, and it's already an accurate rifle.  Cutting the barrel will just make it louder, increase the muzzle jump, and cost you velocity.  Plus, you'll have to re-crown it and hope that you do a good job.

If only Squeezer was here, his ears must be burning as we speak.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 04:46
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

If only Squeezer was here, his ears must be burning as we speak.

I'm sorry, I don't follow.  Enlighten me?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 08:09
He was a big proponent on short barrels and we all had alot of heated discussions regarding such.

Edited by lucytuma - January/19/2010 at 08:09
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 13:36
Heavy Recoil<--------- Bigsqueeze and his Ruger compact
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 07:47
I just ordered one of these rifles in 270 Winchester (sorry Pyro!) for my grandson, to be his first real hunting rifle of his own. He will be 10 in March and really has a want on for his own "deer rifle," and he is a big boy so the full-sized LOP should work for him ok. I got a black stocked one for 279.99 + 15 shipping. Do any of y'all know what scope mount base is shipping with the long actions? I intend to mount up an old Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 I have in the safe, but I may need rings. I also have been trying to discern if the bolt shroud is metal or plastic? I know the trigger guard is plastic, but can be replaced with a metal guard from Marlin that is a part for their rimfires, it is pretty much a drop in.

What else do we need to look out for on this rifle?

Edited by Texas - January/29/2010 at 07:49
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 08:07
my grand dad had bought an early 80's m70 30-06 xtr with full intention to give it to me when i turned 14 ( in wyoming at that point in time legal hunting age was 14 that has since changed to 12yrs of age) he died before my 14th birthday, so i used his pre 64 m70 .257 roberts my first year. after my dad and my grandmother figured out what the 30-06 was for they gave it to me. as far as caliber goes your grandson wont care, he will be totally blown away by the fact that grandpa bought him a deer rifle. put a decent scope on it and he will have something to remember you by for a long time.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 10:03
I hope it works out that way. Gage hunted with me for his first ever deer hunt January 9 this year. I got to help him take an 8-point buck for his first deer ever that Saturday, and I let him use one of my rifles. Hopefully he will always remember that day and how proud he made his Grandpa. I hope he keeps this rifle from now on, too!
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 10:26
Dont stop there now hes going to need a coyote gun too (.22mag, 17hmr, .223, 22-250).  Devil and then there is camo and calls and a good bow like a Hoyt Protec and some hunting DVD's so he builds his skills especially preditor hunting which can be done all year around.  Keeping him totally involved in hunting will keep him out of drugs and keep him busy - he's at that critical age, once he finds cars and girls your opportunity to shape his interests are over. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic