OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1st impressions! New Marlin XL7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 11:07
Great advise.  Get him started now and he will have something to do for a lifetime.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 09:09
My Grandpa bought me a shotgun.... Remington 1100..... and I will never forget!  God bless Grandpa's.
take em!
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 07:51
Ok... I got the new rifle home last night. Out of the box, it seems put together well. It came with a one-piece weaver style scope mount rail already screwed to the action with slot-head screws. The rail has a cutout over the loading-ejection port for easier access loading and ejection. The bolt shroud is metal, it appears only the stock, trigger guard and magazine follower are made of injection molded plastic.

Took the barreled action out of the stock to wipe it all down good with EezOx. Action screws are Allen-head, with the front screw shorter than the rear screw. There were no real surprises obscured by the stock, the design appears very similar to a Rem 700 action. but borrows from all the popular action types in use today. . .  the action doesn't seem quite as robust as a 700, but that may just be a perception. The stock is typical injection molded with a bit of a hollow sound if the buttstock is rapped. When the rifle is assembled it all feels rigid enough though. It is quite light in feel to me, LOP feels on the short side (but I am rather giraffe-like, long arms and neck), and the pistol grip is a nice compromise in size, not too small or fat. There is no palm swell, and the molded checkering is well done and feels nice and grippy.

I think the full-size rifle will work quite well for a big pre-teen or teenage youngster ergonomically, but a grown man may feel the set-up is a little too compact. It feels much more compact to me when shouldered than an A-Bolt Stalker or a 700 SPS/XCR.

I have been kicking the scope plan around in my head all week. I have been rethinking using the 3.5-10x40 Vari-X III, as I have a Denver Redfield 4-12x42AO that would work well also. Do any of y'all have ideas on this? The only caveat with mounting the Redfield scope is that it is quite long and it might look kind of big on this rifle. I have to order rings anyway, so there is time to ponder the choice. I intend to put whichever scope on with Warne Maxima PA rings. I'll put up a picture when it is all put together, and I'll give a shooter's report after I get it to the range to zero the scope.

All things considered, I think my grandson is going to be smiling big on his birthday next month!

Edited by Texas - February/05/2010 at 07:54
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 11:37
I vote the VXIII for the reason you mentioned. It will fit the rifle better and the added benefit is he will have a good lasting match for the rifle. He won't have to quit early on an evening hunt because of low light and it should help him appreciate quality optics. Also, if you haven't already get him a pair of binoculars or suggest another family member to do so.
And Preferably something of med to high range quality. The cheap Tasco, Bushnell, Simmons and off brand stuff will not hold up and cause him to stop useing them. I hate to see a new hunter learn the terrible habbit of identifying a object or animal with their scope. Check the sample list for Nikon, Burris or some of the high end Bushnell and other brands bino's that are available. And then stress the importance of carrying them everytime he goes to the field. That way they become second nature and not a burdon. Plus he will pass on the benefit and wisdom to his friends and his kids down the road.
To add, I have been lookin at these rifles also. I am working a deal with a local shop to sell a shotgun that is still new in the box and I have determined I probably will never use and let the sell cover one of the Marlins in 30-06 camo. That will be my daughters own hunting rifle.
Ain't it great having a loved one enjoy the same things we do?
Happy Huntin!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 09:56
Is this rifle any good???

I held the camo version in a shop last week and it seems pretty good for the price. The rifles looks one part Savage, one part Weatherby and one part Remington.

Definitely better quality than a Stevens 200.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic