OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.338 win data

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 21:10
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i just checked  the hodgdon web page and the 200 gr load in the .338 will give me the same recoil numbers as your 200 gr load for your 300wsm, so you tell me whats a surprise??
...................................You`d better get that 338 Win. in the Kimber then; ASAP! Slap it on credit card!................Can`t cheat with a muzzle brake now!!!Happy shootin!.............
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 21:22

I've shot a lot of .338s over the years, and for some reason they just don't seem to kick as hard as they should.  It's probably just a weird mental thing on my part, but most have not been uncomfortable for me to shoot.  (....shrugs....)
 Muzzle brakes, on the other hand, make almost any rifle obnoxious, in my opinion.  I'll take stout recoil over ferocious muzzle blast ANY day...
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 23:30
I've never had a problem with muzzle brakes, particularly on stout calibers.  My reasoning is this; we as shooters and hunters use evey means of modern technology to make us better, I feel the brake falls in this catagory, just like the newest powder, bullets and calibers.  If a break gives you confidence and comfort, by all means use one.  All rifles are loud, break or not and some breaks especially the boss can greatly improve accuracy.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 07:24
i shot one mule  deer with my 300 win mag with the boss on board, after an hour of being basically deaf i tore it off and promptly ordered a boss cr, i wont do another break like that again.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 08:39
Maybe I'm already deaf, but i've never noticed that great of recoil blast, granted its louder but not that much, to me at least.  What I have noticed is that if your standing next to the shooter, it is quite a bit louder, but not too the shooter. Just my thoughts.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 09:00
the difference here isn't the recoil in ft/lbs. its the recoil velocity. all things the same two guns having the same configuration but in these calibers will accelerate differently and the apparent recoil will be different. In the case the 300 wil appear to kick more because the the recoil velocity will be higher. ( less mass accelerated to the same muzzle energy needs a squared amt. of velocity). the last antelope I shot with a 338 fell apart in the middle. To me the 338 really shines is with 275-300 gr. bullets. this gives a push rather than a really sharp recoil and quite managable. ( I use an m70-older than my kids.). and save the high velocity stuff for the 300 and 7mm
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 09:58
i agree with the velocity part which i why i still think the .300wsm is worse than the .338 and 300 win  the wsm is a speedy sharp kick
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 11:59
I have a tough time shooting more than 20 rounds or so with my 338 win with 250 gr bullets.  I guess it's not too bad offhand, but off of a sandbag, kind of hunched over, I start to take a beating after a while.  It's not painful, but I definitely know when it goes off.  The next closest caliber I have is a 270 win, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it's definitely a big step up in recoil from that thing. 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 13:03
 Some guides will absolutely refuse to guide hunters who use muzzle brakes.
 I don't blame them, either. They can and do often mean the difference between loud blast and permanently-ear-damaging blast.  Use them with extreme caution, especially in regards to bystanders.  Hearing loss is permanent and irreversible.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 16:47
i know that when i first had my 300 with the boss on it, it was very annoying to shoot, when you would sit at the bench and touch one off the muzzle blast was so fierce it would kick up dust in front of you really bad, standing behind it wasnt to bad but standing at one side or the other was very disturbing to say the least, i know that some of the muzzle brake manufacturers today claim that there brakes do everything you want except make it louder, im not sure how that works the energy has to go somewhere else in some other form other than recoil.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 20:43
dying to start a storm of arguements I'll through this out-- muzzle brakes don't brake anything-- acceleration and its opposite decceleration are second order derivatives that occur during the acceleration cycle. No where during the firing cycle is there a negative derivative applied to the unit/ thus the term break is more accurate. the ejecta mass composed of the solid and the hot gases go into the formula to calculate recoil. a break or brake redirects this gaseous ejecta mass, and if the unit was a theortical 100% efficient (which no machine can be 3rd law of thermo) the resultant vector would be the calculated mass using only the solid. Since sound would travel in the densest part of the gas the loudest would be the most efficient. There biggest advantage is a reduction in recoil velocity (and recoil) which allows a faster follow up shot or the use of a scope having less eye clearance. Sound suppressors are a better way to go, as they do all the work of a break/brake in addition to db reduction.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 20:53
i wont argue with that
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 07:09
Won't argue the math on this Dale and perhaps the naming convention could have been better but they do work to reduce felt recoil in my experience with various calibres.  Not sure if your statment was confirming/denying or neutral on this. 

Louder, yes, no free lunch here but they work.
God save the Empire!
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 09:35
the reduction in recoil is due to the redirection of a significant portion of the ejecta mass, so that it doesn't contribute to the recoil figure. there isn't any braking going on. more of a clarification. the amount of recoil reduction is that portion contributed by the powder charge mass. thus a 200 gr bullet with 70 grs of pwd. would have 270 grs of mass and the reduction in recoil would be 70/270 or about 25%, take a compensator or brake on a 45 with a 200 gr bullet and 5 grs. or 5/205 or about .02% hardly with the effort.
this forum is more concerned with hunting rifles, thus the focus is more narrowed, but try bringing this up in a handgun forum.!!!!
a much more interesting question when getting into this is the contribution of pressure (if any) to the recoil subject. If pressure is contributable whynot insert the brake into the barrel further up to take advantage of the higher pressure and its supposed jet or rocket effects???
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2008 at 09:51
Thanks for the clarification, was wondering about the effect with gas velocity entered into the equation as well.
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic