OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how many bullets?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9-point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how many bullets?
    Posted: April/18/2008 at 10:33
I'm going to be sighting in my new enc 300 win mag pretty soon and was wondering about the bullets I should do this with (weights and tips) there are so many different types and brands ,I was wondering what you would or do use. This rifle will be for deer,elk and hogs,thanks for the advice
Its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 10:46
i feel that with the 300win accuracy drops off when you shoot anything that weighs less than 165gr i use 180gr bullets with mine, i usually try to sight my rifles in with the rounds i plan to hunt with which is why i take a box of factory ammo to the range after i buy a new rifle and get my scope close and then i test handloads until i find an accurate handload then i sight the rifle in for real.
when i was trying out factory ammo just for the brass i found the federal ammo seemed pretty good, but at $50+ a box aint none of it cheap
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 11:48
+1 on what pyro said.  I recommend the 180 gr.  I shoot the Hornady heavy mag 180gr BTSP when I am shooting factory ammo.  You don't need to spend a ton of money on the factory stuff to go do your initial sight in.  Spend the money you save for reloading supplies. When loading, I use Hornady 180gr Interbond.  Have very good result with both of these setups.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 11:56
the federal fushion is a cheap option that works
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 12:49
Originally posted by 9-point 9-point wrote:

I'm going to be sighting in my new enc 300 win mag pretty soon and was wondering about the bullets I should do this with (weights and tips) there are so many different types and brands ,I was wondering what you would or do use. This rifle will be for deer,elk and hogs,thanks for the advice

I would start with something like SST and work up a load with them. they are a good bullet to hunt/learn with. you can get 100 for around 30$ i would start with them. After you get all the correct steps down for reloading them you can get a nosler Accubond or the hornaday IB. I would start with a less expensive bullet first.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 12:53
i like sierra pro hunters myself they are hella cheap and very accurate and deadly on game
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 20:08
I also like what I'll call the "vanilla" style bullets, pro-hunter, inter-lock, core-lokt, ect.  I've never had a failure with these type bullets, as long as you choose a heavy for caliber bullet or game appropriate weight bullet.  Sure the premium bullets are better and if I were hunting dangerous game or on a hunt of a lifetime, I would no dought choose a premium bullet
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 20:17
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I also like what I'll call the "vanilla" style bullets, pro-hunter, inter-lock, core-lokt, ect.  I've never had a failure with these type bullets, as long as you choose a heavy for caliber bullet or game appropriate weight bullet.  Sure the premium bullets are better and if I were hunting dangerous game or on a hunt of a lifetime, I would no dought choose a premium bullet

++1, I'm with that all the way. The large cased cartridges are optimized with heavier bullets, whether premium or not.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 20:35
I wanted to add that in the 300 win mag., I really like the 190gr. hornady interlock. Sectional density .286, ballistic coef. .491 and can be pushed to about 3000 fps with a number of powders all at a price of about $ 30.00 per 100. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 20:43
$30.00 per 100 i assume you are talking about the bullet only, not about completed ammo, i think i can load ammo at about $10 a box for the magnums
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 20:50
Yes, just the bullets. You know me better than that.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 20:55
i was like damn where is he getting his powder so cheap, and then it dawned on me, he's only talking about the bullets not the whole loaded completed round my bad!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Blue Armadillo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Armadillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 04:27
I know there is a predominate school of thought that heavy is better on the large 30's..but let me offer an alternate view.  I shoot a .300 Remington Ultra Mag..yes I know its way overbore...but I enjoy being able to reach out there with confidence.  I started out with 150gr Scirocco's and Barnes XLC's and Triple Shocks.  They work.  But then I decided to push the envelope a bit and went down to the 130 Barnes XLC's.... WOW !!  I realize that not all rifles will "like" the little 30's..but mine does...and is rather impressive with them.
3750+ fps is dangflat !!! and is still moving 2000fps at around 500yds..(according to the Norma online ballistics calculator).  The 130 Barnes has taken numerous whitetail and pronghorn at 400+ ...the bullet is devastating.  I don't get super groups but 1 1/2 inches is pleanty good for a hunting rifle.  It's a Browning A-bolt II with a 26in barrel...(a little short..but the right powder makes up for it.)  The 130's made recoil less noticeable...lol   Good luck and yes the 165's are more conventional...and 180's even more so.  I am no expert... but I do know this works for me.  Good Luck with your new .300.
Old guy....but still learning
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 09:35
Barnes and Swift make excellent bullets and yes with premium bullets you can drop bullet weight and still get penetration,
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 16:41
Hey 9 point

I would stick with the heavy bullets either a 180 gr or 200 gr.  If you looked at the ballistics of a light for caliber bullet the only thing you gain is a little less drop.  Usually that amount of drop difference is less than the wind drift advantage of the heavier bullet, not to mention the higher sectional density for penetration and greater retained energy. 

Personally I would buy a box of 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to search for the load.  They are cheap and very accurate.  I would be surprised if around 75.5 grains RL22 and Fed 215 primers with the 180 gr NBT didn't shoot pretty good. 

After finding the best load just switch to Nosler Accubonds.  They have the same profile, the same ballistic coefficient and almost the same length.  They are not too expensive either but the NBT's are cheaper.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic