OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.17 Fireball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urban-Grunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .17 Fireball
    Posted: April/23/2008 at 10:01
Hello everyone im new to this forum.

Does anyone else have a Rem 700 .17 Fireball VSF ?(Nikkon 4.5x14x40)
For such a small round it does a hell of a job on small game/varmits.

A 20 grain Accu tip made by Remington did this damage( this morning)i'm more than happy with this rifle.I know most are going to say it's useless in any kind of wind which is untrue imo light wind it's fine.
This rabbit was taken at just over 100 yards.( hope i don't get in trouble for picture)

yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 08:10

Eek Shocked Uh....so much for eating the rest of my breakfast.   Rabbit anyone?

Edited by yellowdog - April/24/2008 at 08:15
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 12:00
There is no picture to be seen.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:23
there was an article about the .17 in rifleshooter, i believe it was early last year or late 2006 but there was an intresting story about what was back then called the 17 mach iv, and some crazy guide in alaska wanting someone to shoot an alaskan bear with the 17 and be able to kill it with one bullet, i think only one person took him up and shot a massive bruin with that rifle with one shot, no thanks.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:44
If that's a true story pyro (and who knows these days with all the net crap going on), then that is really stunt shooting at its worst.  Not fair to the game at all.  Might be great for pest destruction but should be linited to strictly that.
God save the Empire!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:47
My shooting buddy has one of those calibers.
That son of a pup is WICKED accurate too!!!! Shocked

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:48
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

If that's a true story pyro (and who knows these days with all the net crap going on), then that is really stunt shooting at its worst.  Not fair to the game at all.  Might be great for pest destruction but should be linited to strictly that.

Amen, Dogger.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:51
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

there was an article about the .17 in rifleshooter, i believe it was early last year or late 2006 but there was an intresting story about what was back then called the 17 mach iv, and some crazy guide in alaska wanting someone to shoot an alaskan bear with the 17 and be able to kill it with one bullet, i think only one person took him up and shot a massive bruin with that rifle with one shot, no thanks.
    Wonder what point he was trying to make?  Totally foolish. Loco

Edited by yellowdog - April/24/2008 at 19:17
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 19:31
i will go find the story on rifleshooters web page and post the link, the story was in the jan/feb 2007 issue. i cant find it on there web page but it is in there i was wrong it was a rifle maker that gave out the challenge not an outiftter, layne simpson did the story and even layne said this had to be the stupidest stunt i had ever read about.

Edited by pyro6999 - April/24/2008 at 20:36
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 20:38

you say the .17 is fine in a light wind, but how far out there can you say that for certain?? i hunted coyotes with a guy who liked his .17 rem and he wouldnt stand a chance outside of 200 yds with a cross wind. on a calm day wiley was in trouble from 500 and in.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 21:04

I read that, too years ago in some publication other than Rifleshooter. I think the guy's name was Vern O'Brien (?) perhaps. Not sure, though.
 Foolish stunt.

(Unless he used a premium bullet!)     Devil

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 21:06
thats right ron, it was indeed mr. obrien
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 07:03
The .17 Fireball is "rated" for game / varmits up to coyotes.
Ideal for the pelt hunter, small entry hole with rapid expansion using the 20 grain accu tip bullets.
Why the heck would you try and shoot a bear with, that's just asking for trouble.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 06:36
Originally posted by Average Joe Average Joe wrote:

The .17 Fireball is "rated" for game / varmits up to coyotes.
Ideal for the pelt hunter, small entry hole with rapid expansion using the 20 grain accu tip bullets.
Why the heck would you try and shoot a bear with, that's just asking for trouble.
    By the looks of that rabbit pelt on the first post, I woudn't say that bullet is to pelt friendly. Shocked

Edited by yellowdog - April/27/2008 at 11:37
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 07:28
i would take my chances with my 22-250 over any .17 all day long, if i only hunted pdogs i would care obviously. using a .224 fmj really works to save pelts.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 07:56

i would take my chances with my 22-250 over any .17 all day long, if i only hunted pdogs i would care obviously. using a .224 fmj really works to save pelts.
        Ditto   Some would not agree with my choice of bullets when it comes to pelt savers, but I like to use 52gn. Sierra SMK's. When we aren't using shotguns. We save every coyote pelt we get. This winter we collected 119 if memory serves me correct, and we sell them, so we don't want any damage. You give up no accuracy, small hole in...small hole out, dead dog, no pelt damage.

Edited by yellowdog - April/27/2008 at 01:31
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 23:25
Originally posted by yellowdog yellowdog wrote:

Ditto   Some would not agree with my choice of bullets when it comes to pelt savers, but I like to use 52gn. Sierra SMK's. When we arn't using shotguns. We save every coyote pelt we get. This winter we collected 119 if memory serves me correct, and we sell them, so we don't want any damage. You give up no accuracy, small hole in...small hole out, dead dog, no pelt damage.

You find that the Matchkings generally punch through without any expansion, Yellowdog? What cartridge?
BTW, that is a fantastic number of coyote pelts!
 Are the pelt prices pretty decent lately? I think around 20 bucks here the last I heard.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 01:26
      Every once in a while you'll get one that will expand a little, but 95% of the time they don't. They aren't designed to expand. I use a 22-250.  At the beginning of winter the pelts were bringing between $15 to $20 depending on the condition of the pelt, thickness, color, short or long hair, etc.

Edited by yellowdog - April/27/2008 at 01:29
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 07:33
 The reason I asked is that I know guys who have shot deer with Matchkings in 30 calibers and they found them to fragment too violently, in most cases.
 A high neck shot on a doe almost completely decapitated the animal!
  (I personally wouldn't use them on deer, just relaying info...)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 08:33
we use the 55gr sierra varminter and have minimal sewing to do on our dogs, as soon as our kids are old enough to go to school we will get back into that, what fun!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic