OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.17 Fireball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 11:10
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

we use the 55gr sierra varminter and have minimal sewing to do on our dogs, as soon as our kids are old enough to go to school we will get back into that, what fun!

How are you guys hunting them? Hounds, calling, spot and stalk?
 I would love to start serious predator hunting.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 11:47
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

The reason I asked is that I know guys who have shot deer with Matchkings in 30 calibers and they found them to fragment too violently, in most cases.
 A high neck shot on a doe almost completely decapitated the animal!
  (I personally wouldn't use them on deer, just relaying info...)
   Would'nt ever try them on large game for obvious reasons that you have stated, although I've never seen or heard of one coming apart enough to take a deer's head off.  I don't hunt big game for pelts, but I hardly ever recover a bullet from a dog. They almost always pass through.  The ones that don't from head on or quartering to shots do enough internal damage that I don't have to track'em.

Edited by yellowdog - April/27/2008 at 12:05
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 12:11
 Yeah, the .22 caliber ones probably act very differently than the .30s under similar circumstances. Par for the course, really.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 12:46
   When I say small exit hole,  It's not perfect, you still have some sewing to do obviously. I'm comparing it to a v-max or a ballistic tip type bullet. I know of guy's who use v-max's on dog's. Lets just say I woud'nt recommend them for saving pelts.

Edited by yellowdog - April/28/2008 at 02:55
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 14:11

we use the 55gr sierra varminter and have minimal sewing to do on our dogs, as soon as our kids are old enough to go to school we will get back into that, what fun!

im just a rifleman, my bro in law and father in law are the bait (callers) they take turns doing it, they use a reed style mouth call and its pure magic when a couple come in, someday i will call you and tell you to meet us some place in say north or south dakota and we will go.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 18:30

im just a rifleman, my bro in law and father in law are the bait (callers) they take turns doing it, they use a reed style mouth call and its pure magic when a couple come in, someday i will call you and tell you to meet us some place in say north or south dakota and we will go.
 You have a deal there, Hunter.
 Just P.M. me with as much advance notice as you are able to when you're planning to go and I'll meet you!  I love the Dakotas and would really love to go out there again for a vacation.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 18:31
it would be a winter hunt hope  you dont mind, our summers are a little busy
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 21:23
 No that would be the time to get the nicest pelts, anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic