OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

7mm rem mag length action... which scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7mm rem mag length action... which scope
    Posted: May/08/2008 at 09:53
will a VX-3 2.5-8x36 fit on a mag length action? it lists 5.1" mounting length
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 09:56
Why Leupold?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 10:06
i like themWink
lightweight 11.5oz- going on my lightweight hunting gun
great eyebox and eye relief
good looks
clear and bright

why not?Thinking

Edited by SAKO75 - May/08/2008 at 10:08
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 10:15
They won't fit on my M700's in Talley's. An offset mount will work, though.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 10:16
UGHHHHHHHHHHHH
will the 3.5-10x40? in talleys
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 10:31
      Leupold catalog shows the 3.5-10x40 with a mounting length of 5.8" @ 13oz. Should fit! Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 has a mounting length of at least 6" @ only 13.75oz.

til later
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 12:07
Originally posted by SAKO75 SAKO75 wrote:

.............................It should! As I recall there was another poster on here (don`t remember who), who had the same scope mounted on a 300 Win, a 338 Winny or the RUM, don`t recall which..........I don`t know if he was using any off-setting rings or not............With a 5.1" of mounting length, I feel that it will work ok without the use of offsets, assuming of course you will not require alot of forward or backward adjustment for the best eye relief potential................Offsetting rings IMO, are ugly and look too busy!!Thumbs%20Down... If it were me, assuming the 2.5-8x36 does not work properly, I`d find another scope with a longer length mounting tube.    
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 14:37
 Does'nt sound good ...... you may want to take their advice and try another ...
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 16:01
I had that scope on a Tikka 25/06 that I recently sold. It fit well and was just the ticket. I took it (the 2.5-8 X36) off, when I sold the Tikka, and tried it on my Sako 75 30-06. It physically fit, but there wasn't enough space to slide the scope forward and backward to get the correct eye relief / sight picture. It then came off and was replaced by a 3.5-10 X 40. It was fine, but I was a bit disappointed in the low light performance so I sold that scope too. The Conquest (listed above) may be a better choice or an Elite 4200 which is what's on there now. Optically the 4200 is great, but I don't particularly like the reticle. I guess I'll try a Conquest next.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 16:43

It depends entirely on the action it's mounted to.  Even with the same cartridge family length, some action types have slightly longer or shorter mount spacing than others, depending on the mounting method. 

Do you have the rifle already?  If so, it's a simple matter of measuring the distance between the centers of the screw hole pattern from the bridge to receiver ring (assuming it is a drilled and tapped instead of grooved receiver).  Call the manufacturer of the mounts you plan to use and ask them the widest point outside to outside of the rings when installed on the bases, giving them your screw hole spacing.  In many cases, by simply telling them which rifle you have, they can tell you the ring spacing over the phone.  Or, if you already know what rings you'll be using and you already have the rifle, install the rings and measure the distance.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 18:09
My Winchester Model 70 has just a speck over 5 inches of spread through both rings in Burris two piece mounts, which is the longest mounting situation.  I would imagine most rifles ought to be close--except maybe the Savage long action.  The Sakos should be real close.  Just measure the top of your receiver with a tape measure....you'll get the general idea of whether it will mount up. That scope is not a compact, for sure, but it will only fit ONE WAY--Ring to ring!!.  The eye relief is enough, however, even if you pull the trigger from down the street.  Bucky

( I couldn't help myself!..... actually, I like that particular scope myself.....Wink )  --Ed

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 18:44
If you want Leupold rings and base(s), yes, it appears they have a solution for you.

Here's the link to Leupold Mount Selector

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MountFitChart/default.asp

plug in Rem700 RH LA or LH LA & VX-3 2.5-8x36

Rem. 700/721/725 (RH, LA)
Select a Scope:
VX-III 2.5-8x36mm Submit Selection
Selector Results:
BASE RINGS
STD - 700 (2 pieces)
Gloss: part #50015
Matte: part #50016
Silver: not available
STD 1" - Low
Gloss: part #49897
Matte: part #49898
Silver: part #49899
STD - 700 Long Range RH-LA (1 piece)
Gloss: not available
Matte: part #51732
Silver: part #51733
STD 1" - Low
STD - 700 RH-LA (1 piece)
Gloss: part #50003
Matte: part #50004
Silver: not available
STD 1" - Low
STD - 700 RVF (2 pieces)
Gloss: part #50017
Matte: part #50018
Silver: part #50019
STD 1" - Low

VX-III 2.5-8x36mm max. ring spacing = 5.1"

Edited by mike650 - May/08/2008 at 18:44
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 18:46
If it does fit, which I don't think it will w/o extentions, you will have very little room to adjust it foward or back for eye relief. You might get lucky and have it fit right from the get go. If you like Leupolds, get the 3.5-10 VX3. Thye last two 2.5-8 Leupys I had were on a Husky 06 (shorter than the 70) and it allowed no movement for/aft for eye relief. The other was on a Kimber 7-08 and worked just fine.

BTW, are you talking about a 700, 70, Sako 75/85, Ruger????? I didn't see you mention the actual rifle.

Roy

Edited by Roy Finn - May/08/2008 at 18:51
nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 23:59
I have the varix 3  3.5-10 on my 700 7mag with leuy rings and mounts
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 00:34
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

If it does fit, which I don't think it will w/o extentions, you will have very little room to adjust it foward or back for eye relief. You might get lucky and have it fit right from the get go. If you like Leupolds, get the 3.5-10 VX3. Thye last two 2.5-8 Leupys I had were on a Husky 06 (shorter than the 70) and it allowed no movement for/aft for eye relief. The other was on a Kimber 7-08 and worked just fine.

BTW, are you talking about a 700, 70, Sako 75/85, Ruger????? I didn't see you mention the actual rifle.

Roy

Roy, I thought he did with the title of the post  "7mm rem mag length action... which scope" but now that I look at it again, I could be wrong.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 04:56
yes....I'm just assuming 30/06 length magazine...............Stare   
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 07:14

Why not switch over to a Picatinny set-up?

With the "Tactical" rage these days, there are at least ten companies making rails and rings- best of all: they all interchange with each other, so you are not stuck buying so-and-so's rings because you have their base.

I am working on a Remington 700 P (short action, .308) as a target rifle right now. I have a Badger Ordnance 20 minute rail on the way, and some VERY inexpensive Leapers rings on the way as well. These were so cheap, I had to buy two, assuming the price was for one ring! I have not received them yet, but I got the medium (which should work fine) and the high (just in case) because they were so damn cheap. Extruded aluminum, four clamp screws, 1/2 inch nut to attach them to the rail. They look the business; time will tell if they are. If not, I will replace them and be out $10.00 rather than $100.00... I will not be dropping this rifle out of a helicopter at 100 MPH, so I do not need rings that can support a mid-size pick-up truck (neither does any other non-professional, but don't get me started).

Extended rails are available too- the worst case I could see is that you may have to get a 6" blank rail and have a gun smith fit it for you. Once the rail is in place, the world of optics are your oyster...

Since you likely will not be working out past 500 yards, and (I asume) you will have a 30mm tube on the optic, you can use a flat base (0 MOA) with no problems. On that magnum cartridge, I would expect it to reach 700 yards or more easily without running out of elevation. (the 30mm Leupolds have 90 minutes total typically)

My slightly more than two cents...Wink
Hmmm... It seems he's suffered from acute lead poisioning...
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 08:04
It is actually an Ed Brown Damara that has a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest on it that I like but @ 15oz, i was thinking a 2.5-8x36 @ 11.5 would shave off  3.5oz... the 3.5-10x40 VX-III isnt enough of a difference in weight to switch...

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 08:06

UGHHHHHHHHHHHH
will the 3.5-10x40? in talleys

Yes.
Very nice rig you have there, BTW.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 08:09
thanks
havent decided if I wil lleave the brake on it or not but it sure does reduce felt recoil.. it kicks like a 25-06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic