OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper 6x42 (I wish)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper 6x42 (I wish)
    Posted: May/15/2008 at 12:59
Thunbs%20UpNow this is just a wish list idea but who else out there would like to have a Super Sniper in a 6x42 version with a 7mm exit eye pupil.  I think it would be awesome. The other 6x42 scopes out there are like twice the price of Super Snipers and a 6x is a very useful scope.  Oh well if we  ever get a variable Super Sniper that will most likely cover the need but I have not heard much about that variable lately, my fingers are still crossed though.Thunbs%20Up

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 13:26
sign me up - i definitely would go for one of those.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 13:27
in FACT - i would pre-order one if that would help w/ production.

Chris? Brady? Want prepaid investors? Wink

J
Remington700VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 15:27
Thumbs up for the 6x Excellent SS
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 16:29
I'll take at least one, and pre-pay it!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 16:33
The 6x Super Sniper has been on Ufriends wish list for some time, huh Wes? Sharp%20Shooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 17:19
Shouldn't be hard: take the 10X magnifying lens, make it 40% smaller, or thinner, or something, BAM, 6X; see, engineering is easy!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 21:22
How many thousand scopes would you guys buy?  I think that, is what may be holding Chris back...

I'd like the choice between a mil-dot and a 4a.  A wide field of view and a big sweet spot on the ocular.  Think something for a 527 cz, inch tube and a 6x40 would work well.

The other wish I have is for a good 4x rimfire.  I think there is a better market for one of those.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2008 at 14:28
Yes I would like a Super Sniper 6x42 scope, but if I were SWFA, I probably would not make one. 

Current Super Sniper 10x42 is just about the only truly robust and well supported 10x scope out there for under $500 bucks (well there is Millett TRS-2, but I havn't really played with it much, but I think Super Sniper is better).  The next step up is either a $650 Burris or an $800 IOR.  There really isn't anything else for less money out there.  There is a clear business case here since Super Sniper is practically the only game in town.  Elite 3200 10x40 is a decent little scope, but not in Super Sniper's league.

Now, let's look at 6x42 scopes. On the high end, there is the IOR 6x42 Tactical which has recently gone in price, but is still cheaper than 10x42 IOR.  There is also  >$1000 S&B 6x42.  I have also seen a Docter 6x42 around, but never played with it.

There there is the gazillion of well made and comparably priced 6x42 hunting scopes that Super Sniper would end up competing with: Leupold FX-III, Meopta Artemis 2000 (availabel with a rangefinding reticle), Sightron S2 Big Sky, Burris FFII, and I think there other cheaper ones too.

What is the business case for a 6x42 Super Sniper?  Would I buy one? Yes.  Five other people would.  Maybe six if stars align right, but that is about it.

Variable Super Snipers totally make sense. Fixed 6x42, not so much.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2008 at 16:17
Dream: dashed
Hopes: gone

Next are you going to tell my kids there is no Tooth Fairy?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2008 at 16:27
Sob Sob Whatever yes we do need the variable SS and it would do nicely in place of a 6x but I have not heard anything about it ariving anytime soon so I'm guessing that there are issues preventing it - you know little things like not having a half ton of gold in the back room to bank roll the venture - its got to be expensive to set up.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BSA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 10:45
Schmidt & Bender makes a 1.5-6x42mm & 6x42mm Sniper scope.  But neither model is available in the USA. Only the hunting version of the 6x42mm & 1.5-6x42mm available here.  If you really wanted one and had the $$$, you could order one from a dealer in the United Kingdom....but, NO USA warranty

Schmidt Bender PM 1.5-6x42
Schmidt & Bender Sniper 1.5-6x42 only £862 with free postage
Price: £733.62 ( £862.00 Inc. VAT)
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 11:02
I have a 6x42 Leupold Tactical and it is an excellent scope for the money. The M8-6x42mm Adj. Obj. Target scope looks to be very similar.
I need another gun to put a 10X SS on, though.
A 6x42 would be a great addition to the SS line up. It would definitely be solid, good looking and being fixed would have good optics at a reasonable price.

Edited by tahqua - May/20/2008 at 11:16
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 11:28
I just realized that the leupold custom shop will put M1 knobs or target knobs on almost any of their scopes special order. While I may not be able to get a 6x42 tactical Super Sniper I'm going to have to explore what I might be able to put M1 knobs on, or just6 break down and buy the IOR 6x42 which is less of a bargain now than it was a few months ago.  A lot of the imported stuff has really taken a jump with the dollar turning to worthless paper. 

Silver Certificates - remember when paper actually represented something of value.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 12:45
The jump in the price of IOR scopes this year has little to do with the value of the dollar.  Since Romania is now a part of the European Union it lost the 17% brak it was getting from the US customs, hence the increase.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 18:06
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I have a 6x42 Leupold Tactical and it is an excellent scope for the money. The M8-6x42mm Adj. Obj. Target scope looks to be very similar.
I need another gun to put a 10X SS on, though.
A 6x42 would be a great addition to the SS line up. It would definitely be solid, good looking and being fixed would have good optics at a reasonable price.

I love that rifle/scope set up, Doug. Just looks so right!! Wink 
Death in black!!! Sharp%20Shooter 

What reticle in the Loopie?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 18:14
Thanks, Mark. It has the standard Duplex.

Doug
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 00:28
I figured out that for about $120. more you can put the M1 knobs onto several interesting scopes like a 1.5-5X20 VX III german#4 reticle with M1 knobs $579.98 (it doesnt show the illuminated version)  or a FXIII  6x42 Wide Duplex with M1 knobs $509.97 or an FXIII 12x40  adj objective Long Range Duplex with M1 knobs $689.97  Now think of them with Kenton Knobs on them - How useful would that be. (prices are Leupold Retail - I'm sure SWFA could get these if we wanted to order some.  What would be cool for an AR-15 -- the VX III 1.5-5x20 with illuminated #4 reticle and tactical knobs --  now were talking.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 00:39
Tahqua how could you cut the horns off that deer with that photo - was it a doe?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 01:47
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I figured out that for about $120. more you can put the M1 knobs onto several interesting scopes like a 1.5-5X20 VX III german#4 reticle with M1 knobs $579.98 (it doesnt show the illuminated version)  or a FXIII  6x42 Wide Duplex with M1 knobs $509.97 or an FXIII 12x40  adj objective Long Range Duplex with M1 knobs $689.97  Now think of them with Kenton Knobs on them - How useful would that be. (prices are Leupold Retail - I'm sure SWFA could get these if we wanted to order some.  What would be cool for an AR-15 -- the VX III 1.5-5x20 with illuminated #4 reticle and tactical knobs --  now were talking.

With all these options you start getting into the price ranges where there are other alternatives, such as IOR and Meopta 6x42, IOR 1.1-4x26, Meopta 1-4x22 K-Dot, Trijicon 1,25-4x24.

There are also going to be some new entries into the low range variable market reasonably soon, such as 1-6.5x Elite 6500.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic