OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

25-06 for long range shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulle3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 25-06 for long range shooting
    Posted: December/09/2004 at 07:34
I am looking for advice on using a 25-06 for long range shooting. Pros and cons of the round for long range and everyones opinion on the round. Any advice on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 08:54
The 25-06 is real versitile, a big heavy for varments but it can run the gambit from varmints to deer sized game.  If I remember the wildcat's "-06" refers to its roots as a necked down 30.06.

A 1:10 twist will stabilize popular 75-120gr bullets.
Is has a good BC, wind characteristics, its fast, accurate, th recoil is pleasant. It would certainly fit the bill for long range shooting.  Exactly how far out do you wish to shoot?

I remember reading that the 25-06 functions best in barrells 24" or less. I honestly never understood that.  My dad had a 700 in a 25-06, other than his 22-250, its my favorite rifle to "borrow". Probably because because the thing is real accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Edited by Boomholzer
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 09:00
The 25's as a group do not make for good long range guns simply because the ballistic coef. of the bullets for that caliber are not high enough. Usually at around .35, while this is high, why use this when .270 are around .45 and in the extreme a .50 can run over 1?
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 09:17
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

The 25's as a group do not make for good long range guns simply because the ballistic coef. of the bullets for that caliber are not high enough. Usually at around .35, while this is high, why use this when .270 are around .45 and in the extreme a .50 can run over 1?

I have seen many 120gr BTs with a BC of well over .40.  BCs for shelf ammunition for the 270 is in the same ballpark as with the 25-06. 
Comparing data in my book here for Remington Core-Lok SP's, the 25-06 is higher.  BTs are about the same as far as BCs but the 270 has more choices and the highest ones.  The 277 is capable of very good BCs so its not a real fair comparison.

Edited by Boomholzer
Warhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Warhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 09:48

My brother owns one centerfire rifle, it's a Savage varminter in .25-06 with a 6-24x scope, one of the better Bushnells I think.

He shoots Federal Premium ammo with 100 grain Nosler ballistic tips in it exclusively.

It is roughly 300 yards from his back porch to the near side of the pond and 425 to the fenceline beyond that. Anything the size of a crow on up is dead all the way out to the fenceline. I saw him shoot a possum one evening, early the next morning he zapped a skunk that was eating the possum, and 30 minutes later he zapped coyote that was checking out the carcasses. One shot apeice.

I was nearby when he killed a very nice 12 point Kansas whitetail with the .25-06, catty corner across a 40 acre wheat field. That field is 440 yards to a side, diagonally it's quite a bit farther. He said he missed the first shot low, corrected, and dropped the buck in it's tracks. I know it was a damn long shot since I helped drag that heavy SOB out of that muddy wheat field! <G>.

My brother is not especially "into" guns, and he doesn't shoot a lot. But he definately fits the "beware of the man with only one gun" philosophy. And his .25-06 is the near perfect "do it all" rifle for everything up to deer.

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 13:19
I had a Winchester model 70 in .25/06 for many years.  It was my favorite deer rifle and would shoot 120 grain Speer handloads between 1/4" and 1/2" consistently if I did my job.   I was able to squeeze out  just over 3,000 feet per second out of  those loads  and they have accounted for a lot of deer on the meat pole!

A friend of mine took a .25/06 into the Wrangell mountains here in Alaska after Dall sheep once.  He ended up getting a decent ram but said he was a little undergunned.  Said the shot was probably farther than he should have taken, but he took it anyway; had to chase the ram for a while and was finally able to put it down.  Told me it didn't have the penetration he was hoping for. 

I feel the .25/06 is about as good a DEER round as you may find; especially if you're a handloader!  I would limit my shots on deer sized game at 400 yards as it really starts pooping out at that distance.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 14:40
The comparison of course is in general, the statement was long range shooting- which to me is about 1000 yards (or more), 450 is as you mentioned off the back porch. Don't get me wrong 25-06 are great, a lot of local elk hunters around here use them with great success year after year, it is just not a good choice for long range target shooting.
samhill79 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samhill79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 15:28
A 25 caliber bullet for elk?  Sure if you hit them in the head.  You could use a .17 mach 2 in the head if it was close enough.  I am not a magnum advocate, but I would distance myself from those who use .243's and such on elk.   They are either stupid, non ethical, dang lucky or all of the above.  I have shot several elk with 30.06 and at range penetration can be an issue.  For a coyote gun I think the 25-06 or a 6.5 swedish are great.  Shulle3 have you considered any of the SAUM rounds?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 16:01

If you use a good bullet and place your shot well 25-06 seems to be quite reasonable for an elk (granted I've never shot an elk, so my opinion may not be especially viable).  6.5x55 has been used extensively on moose in northern Europe, and it is certainly perfectly adequate for elk.  The emphasis, as always, should be on shot placement and proper bullet above all else.

For hunting it would be hard to find fault with a 120gr Nosler Partition (BC=0.371) or Swift A-Frame (BC=0.382) or Barnx TSX 115gr (BC=0.429) moving at about 3000fps.

As for long range shooting with 25-06, Berger makes a 115gr VLD 0.257' bullet with a BC of 0.522  At 25-06 velocities it should be perfectly adequate for 1000 yd shooting.  115gr Ballistic Silvertip has a BC of 0.453

Ilya

LongShotz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongShotz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 16:07
I agree with koshkin, bullet placement is 90 percent of the kill.  I would use the Nosler BST for not only the long range stuff but hunting as well.   I have had Great success with that bullet in 180gr .30 caliber and in 140gr. .270 wby. (BC = 0.501)!!!!!!!
samhill79 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samhill79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 16:48

Shot placement has everything to do with it, unless you are using a grenade.  Just to further explain my anti 25 caliber for elk philosophy.  This year I stood and watched a big bull elk at 208 ranged yds get drilled with a 30-06 180gr CXP 3 high in the neck just in front of the shoulders.  If it would have been a complete miss if it were an inch and a half higher.  The bull was at a slight angle moving at about 220 degrees to us, or in other words coming towards us with a left ward angle.  The bullet entered and penetrated about 4 inches of flesh and then stopped on the hide before exiting with test book mushrooming and retention.  Ya, your right he would have recovered from that.  It was truley incredible that a hog like that could take such punishment.  The next shot hit right behind the front shoulder, penetrated the hide and found itself lodged in the spine.....no exit.   The bull was killed instantly.  Some would say that this is yet another case for magnums.  Not so.  This is the biggest elk I have ever seen.  it came down to bullet placement.  Why blow a huge hole in both sides of an animal not only wasting meat but letting all the retained energy in the bullet exit?  Usually the 06 punches through both sides especially in cows and certainly in mule deer.  So I say let the .25's stick to long range varmit hunting and whitetails.  Let the .30's do the talking in the Rockies,

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 08:30

what boom said.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
wtmarti2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtmarti2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 16:52
The 30-06 bullet is moving too slow, especially with the 180 grain bullet.  As for leaving the hunting out west to the 30 calibers i have to disagree.  I went to western colorado elk hunting 3 years ago and i took my trusty remington 7mm mag.  162 grain hornady shot right through him at 400 yards...6x6 went 50 yards and pilled up!
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 17:25
i load the nosler accubond 110 grer and they fly great have a good bc 438 i believe and they pulverize deer,saying its good for yotes well thats a little overkill but im confident it will kill an elk  under 300 yds of course my 25 is a savage model 112 hvy bbl its a tack driver it had a 26 in tube but i cut it down to 24 and picked up velocity ,go figure
Cooper25 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 22:40
The 25-06 is a good round if you use the proper bullet for the task at hand.  I have killed a few deer with mine and don't think I would shoot beyond 350 yds or so.  Under two hundred for elk, but for paper punching why not long range.  Use good bullets. The accubond has a bc well over .4 if i recollect right.  like.453 or something like that.  Mine has a 1/9 twist and shoots the lighter bullets better for some reason, probly havn't found the right load in the 120's yet but still close to moa.  the 85 bts are cloverleafs.  I have owned it for a year and half so haven't really got that many rounds through it but I love it.  I like that the recoil is light enough you can see the shot through the scope and see the animals reaction to the hit if it doesn't drop. 
Jeff
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 22:44
Originally posted by samhill79 samhill79 wrote:

I am not a magnum advocate, but I would distance myself from those who use .243's and such on elk.   They are either stupid, non ethical, dang lucky or all of the above. 

Oh boy  Whacko
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 07:17
Hey lets wake up a 6 year old thread?!?!?!?
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 07:41
SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!! Might be a good place to push a new super high b.c. .257 bullet! Roll on Floor Laughing

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 09:04
Back-from-the-dead thread.
-Matt
porkchop401 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2012 at 20:44
Well fellas I realize this is an old thread but I have shot a bull elk with a 100 grain nosler partition traveling at 3200 fps just below the rim of a canyon in Colorado GMU 521 16 year's ago at last shooting light during the second rifle season. The shot wasaimed behind the right front shoulder, at the 75yd.When  shot the elk traveled straight down the canyon slope. The next morning there was 16" of fresh snow and the Elk was never seen again. Later that day my hunting companion shot a Bull a few hundred yd. from that location with a .270 at about 200yds.  He being quite the shot he is put 3 slugs in the elk with none of them exiting . they were some sort of green box remington cor-lokt  I don't recall the grain bullit  but it killed the elk none the less.
Fast forward 2 years, I vowed to return ! this time I was packing a 8mm rem mag. I only killed a mule deer buck this year with my arm cannon 8mm.
But in our group 2 guys while walking back spotted a bull crossing a opening and started to blast at about 300yd , the elk bit the dust. Up on examining the elk, one 7mm slug to the neck dropped him but only after one slug passed through the gutts and one 25-06 slug hit the shoulder, both fellas got off 2 shots with the 7mm being  the last . The only slug that was recovered  a 120 grain cor-lokt from the 25-06 burried in the fore sholder about 6-8 inches deep midway through the blade.   
I will be carring a 300win this year for elk and probably it as well for the bear tag  but I will be carring a 25-06 as a back up rifle.
I believe you can kill elk with a 25-06  in patient ,skilled and calm hands that I don't always have when dealing with an animal  like elk that is a once in every few years event for me so my nerves are going wild with excitement.
Probably a little more than what is necessary is a good idea providing you can shoot it accurately.
The unprepared are the most likely to suffer;    Teddy R.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic