OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good .50 cal scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Duty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good .50 cal scope
    Posted: May/18/2008 at 13:26
                            Hi all, new to the forum but not to shooting.  I have a Barrett 99 with a Bushnell Elite 3200 on it, came that way .  According to all the info I've gathered the past 2 years the only scopes that will hold the recoil ( for a while any ways) are Nightforce NXS, Leupold MK4, Swarovski, Super Sniper, Burris Black Diamond, and the Bushnell,  And U.S. Optics, but for how long.  So here's the question for all the experts here.  How many rounds do you think the Bushnell is good for?  I could Buy 8 of the Bushnells for the price of the MK4 or the NXS.  I'm really leaning toward the MK4 though.  Any input will be helpful.  Everyone on the Barrett forum says the same thing.  "Pay $3600 for a rifle and put a $200 Scope on it: whats the point. "  Anyway how many rounds do ya think I'll get out of it and what should I replace it with?  I will not ever have the chance to shoot over 1000 yds so I wont need more the say... 16X      

Thanks for the help.
                                       Jay
Because it's fun! That's why
Sendero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 14:11
Just because it starts with an L doesn't mean it'll help your rifle. If you feel better slapping a 1,400.00 scope on your 3,600.00 rifle to achieve peace of mind, by all means go for it. There are some fine scopes out there for half the price and your rifle won't know the difference. The rifle came with that scope for a reason, it simply just works and keeps on working. I have several Elites now, the 10x tactical is one of them and it is as good as some scopes that cost a LOT LOT more, well to my eye anyways.

The 4200 6-24x50 with tac knobs is the best scope I have ever personally had and after comparing sight picture with some Leupolds that cost twice x as much, I'll keep my Bushnell thank you :) Same goes for the Super Sniper I have, wouldn't trade it for another brand that costs a lot more because it works no matter what and cost a 3rd of the price. I have no doubt I'm in the minority with my opinion but it sickens me to know people *think* they need a $1,500 scope just because their rifle was pricey. Perfect tracking, great light transmission, and rock solid dependability far outweigh the cost ratio of rifle to glass.

*That cheapo $200.00 3200 scope you have will keep on taking a beating, your eyeballs may come loose before that scope dies.
One shot is all ya need!

Heavy Duty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Duty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 14:22
Keep it comin' that's just what i need.  I'm trying to convince myself that it's worth a try to get to 16X SS  for the price CANT BEAT IT!
Sendero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 14:47
Get the 16x SS, if ya don't like it, you can sell it for 100% of what you paid, maybe even more, they hold their value very well. I have a feeling you won't sell it though :)
One shot is all ya need!

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 15:07
If you have not played with a super sniper you should, I swapped with Cheaptrick for a couple of weeks and am very impressed with the quality & value for the price. In the same price range The Millett TRS-1 is a variable 4 to 16

if price is no object go for the Ziess it will impress the guys at the range how much you spent.

DuceShocked
Duce
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 15:47
Regardless of what has been said.  There is a reason these expensive scopes cost more.  I have a couple of the "expensive scopes" one of them costing me nearly $1400 and yes it is better than my bushnell 4200 in every way.  When you start spending money for a specialized scope that is designed for a specific purpose like long range tactical shooting the extra money spent is going to make a difference.

I went through all this and started out buying cheap scopes thinking they would do the job but for the long range tactical shooting I do they just were not up to the task and the glass just was not what I wanted.  I did not want to have to use something else to identify my 600 or 700 yards targets and then go back to my scope.  I wanted to be able to look through my scope and know exactly what I was looking at.  My expensive scope is 10 times better in my eyes for that task and I am glad I spent the money and would totally do it again. 

All that being said, if you want to stay cheap I would go with the Super Sniper.  The ones I have looked through they looked pretty good and the guys using them liked them and said they were consistent and repeatable. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 15:56
Just to add on a bit more.  I know you said you never plan on shooting past 1000 yards (why then do you have a .50 is my first wonder, $4 per round or $.60 for a .308, hmm? ) but if you ever choose to go beyond that which I am sure you will want to some day because it is a .50 after all.  Then a cheap scope is really going to be a hindrance at longer ranges.  I know a guy who has one who never shoots his under 1500 yards.  He had a Leupold MK4 8-25x or something and said at those distances the glass was just not good enough to be able to see the targets well and see through the mirage well.  So he put on a Nightforce that had a 25x or close to that top end.  I shot it with that scope and even with a nice Nightforce at 1500 to 2300 yards it is still tough to have a good image of your target.  I could not imagine trying to do that kind of shooting with a scope with just okay glass.  So again there is definitely a reason for these expensive scopes and yes they do make a difference.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 16:41
It is all what you are comfortable with spending and what you will use it for, if your life depends on it by all means spend the money. The old flip a coin and if you like the way it came up go for it if you don't like the way the coin landed do the opposite. A 50 cal does punish a scope though, somewhere on the site there is a video of the scope flex during firing a 50 cal. I would check to make sure the scope has a good long warranty before buying.

Duce Smile
Duce
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2008 at 20:08
Well, I myself am a 50 shooter so I'd like to offer some of my knowledge, not that I know much but.....
First off, why don't you join FCSA, on there forum there is TONS of 50 only info, it's well worth the few bucks and heck, you even get a nice magazine subscription with nice shiny pictures in it.Also, I agree with sendero, keep that scope on until you practice a bit and get used to shooting that fifty and you'll learn what you like and don't. It IS kinda pointless shooting a fifty at short ranges, unless it's just a "sometime" toy, and if that's the case then that Bushy on it is fine.However, you'll probably find that you WANT the challenge of shooting it at 1000yds, and thats when that scope wont cut it.Neither will some of the other cheap scopes.Things like resolution and strength become real important.....which is why most (90%  ?) of all serious fifty shooters end up with Nightforce or Loopy Mk4.Personally, I have a Nightforce NXS on mine and it was worth EVERY penny.Try shooting what you have and you'll sort it out in time...
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
Heavy Duty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Duty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2008 at 22:42

Dont get me wrong I would love to go to Arizona where some of my family is and shoot up to a mile or so, thats just not in the cards for me right now.  What is possible is 1000 yds which I have shot a number of times.  Dont we all wish we could just go around the corner and shoot "never less than 1500 yds" as someone else responded.  Well some of us dont have that chance. For me its only gonna be 1000 yds.  Now at that range I did note that when it was about 68*F 70% humidity,  My Bushy 3200 was maxxed out on the adjustment and the mirage was not bad at all , but the clarity was just not there like it was in my friends Loopy,  I am looking for some non-partison ideas on a good scope, everyone on the Barrett forum seems to think that "A MK4 came on it and the BORS works with that so that must be the only way."  well that's not my feeling which is why I'm here now.  According to the FCSA the Super Sniper is a very repeatable and extremely rugged scope.  The only problem is I dont know a single person that has one. 

exhogflyer what model do you have?

Part of the problem is no has all the scopes in stock that would like to pick from so I could do a side by side comparison.  I dont want to spend $XXXX.XX But I would if it was what I wanted.

What the hell I guess I'll just by one of each and then I'll know which is suitable for me........................ LMAO!

Yeah right I'm from Mi we are in a recession, whosever last to leave, turn off the lights.
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 09:08
The model I have is the nightforce NXS 8-32x56.By the way, I have looked thru a super sniper and they are NOT bad, but I think very comparable to that Bushnell you have so I'm not sure what you'll gain except some more mag, but it may not actually help you.I understand that the Bushnell 4200 "tactical" model is very clear ( I have 3 of the 4200 elites, target type) but I question their ability to survive for long on a 50.I would rule out a Zeiss, not because they are not good( I have several and love them), but again the durability issue. That will be the biggest problem you will have with that 50, many have run into just that....
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic