OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need info on SS scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need info on SS scopes
    Posted: March/29/2004 at 19:09
Need info on the SS10x40  What mount dues anyone reccomend for mating this scope with an M14?  What ballistic info is available for standard M-80 ball in 7.62?  Info on M-118 Special Ball abounds.   Also interested in what may or not be called a NIMROD scope.  The NIMROD is a 6X scope used by the Israelis on their version of the M-21.  I am also told that this scope was made by Tasco and called an SS 6x40 If so, tell me please.  Want to look at this type of scope in 6x more closely.
Tailback View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tailback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2004 at 14:04
I've also got a question about the Tasco SS 10X40. Does anyone make calibrated cams (like on the Leupold long range M3) for the 175 grain M118LR ammo?
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2004 at 22:57

Put an M3-style turret & Gen-2 mildot reticle on the SS and I'd buy it right now!

Tomac

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2004 at 16:26
The 6x nimrod was made by tasco in the same factory as the Super Sniper but has not been available for about 15 years.  They made them in black and green with a 26mm tube.  1" is 25.4mm  If you find one make sure you get the correct rings for them.
M1Garand View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Garand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2004 at 16:51
Correction: PPS should be PSS!
I have 3 SS 16X42 scopes I love them!! I have them mounted on a Remington 700 Police Sharpshooter .308 (Commonly known as the 700 PPS), Savage 10FP (Tactical) .223, and on a Springfield M1A on 3rd Generation Scope Mount!! Since I shoot mostly 100 yard targets I like the see the targets close! When I get my 50 Cal!! I'll get the SS20X42!!!!
old shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2004 at 15:14
Have the following silly questions.  how does the kahles 6x42 compare with the SS series/  Are there pre-set cams/caps/BDC aparatus for specific calibers/loads for either line? (as in M-3)   Where can I find 26mm rings to fit a standard m1913/Picatnney rail?  Does any one make the same one piece rail to fit a 98 Mauser reciever?  Is anyone familiar with the Dragonov scope presently imported for .223 or 7.62 147 gr. ?
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2004 at 09:01
I have a few questions on the Tasco SS10X42.  I have it mounted on a Savage 10FP Tactical in .308  The thing is bore sighted out to 25 yards.  I haven't shot it yet because I want to slip the rings back to zero, once I have a 100 yard zero.  Does anyone know of a scope tool for this type of scope?  Thanks
M1Garand View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Garand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2004 at 09:41

Mithran,

I haven't heard of any tool for theses SS scopes to do what your looking for. I have 3 SS scopes, when I have to change bases or rings or do any scope adjustments in the past I've use my Bushnell bore sighter and I use a laser bore sighter. Then fire the shots and make my final adjustments.

Enjoy shooting your Savage 10FP I have one but in .223 and I love to shoot it!

Cheers

M1Garand

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2004 at 14:32

M1 I just found it.  I'm going to do some tinkering but I think you can turn the dials back to zero using the little alan wrench that came with the scope.  I thought about it for a minute, and decided to look in the box the scope came in.  And under the bubble wrapping in a place I would never have thought to look there it was.  A small alan wrench that I'm sure will fit those three holes on each knob.  If I succeed at this I'll let you all know.  Later.

Mithran

M1Garand View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Garand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2004 at 19:11

Mithran,

Your right!! Stupid me I forgot about that!! And I totaly mis-understood your post!! And inside your scope box there should be instructions!!

M1Garand

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2004 at 11:29

old shooter wrote:

how does the kahles 6x42 compare with the SS series/  Are there pre-set cams/caps/BDC apparatus for specific calibers/loads for either line? (as in M-3)   Where can I find 26mm rings to fit a standard m1913/Picatinny rail?

The Kahles is a better scope.  Uses better glass and coatings as well as a hammer forged steel tube.  They do not have as much adjustment range however.  The Kahles KZF scopes are no longer imported, when they were they did have bullet drop cams like a M3, the SS has never had cams available.  Leupold did make 26mm rings at one time, they are hard to find by any maker currently, your best bet would be to do a search on one of the popular search engines like Google or Yahoo.

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2004 at 23:33
What do you guys recommend as the best scope rings for the SS scopes?  I already have weaver bases and millet high rings but I don't think they'll hold up to long. 
Tomislav View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomislav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2004 at 17:41

Regarding the SS scopes: What sort of warranty are they covered by, and who provides service for them? More and more I read about them, the better they sound, but I want to make sure I am covered if something goes wrong!

Also, I was going to order some Leupold QRW rings to go with a SS; Anything particularily bad about that combo?

Grey Ghost View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2004 at 20:52

Can someone tell me the difference between the SS10X42M and the SS10X42? I see that the M has the parallax adjustment on the side and is $100 more but what else is different/better?

Thanks

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2004 at 10:49

Mithran wrote:

What do you guys recommend as the best scope rings for the SS scopes?  I already have weaver bases and millet high rings but I don't think they'll hold up to long. 

If you have a "Weaver" brand base or any "Weaver style" base made of aluminum you will need to upgrade it as well.  Badger Ordnance makes the ultimate mounts.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2004 at 10:51

Tomislav wrote:

Regarding the SS scopes: What sort of warranty are they covered by, and who provides service for them? More and more I read about them, the better they sound, but I want to make sure I am covered if something goes wrong!

Also, I was going to order some Leupold QRW rings to go with a SS; Anything particularily bad about that combo?

Lifetime warranty through Bushnell.

The Leupold QRW rings work well and would be a good choice with an SS.  It would be best if your base was steel or Leupold QRW as well.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2004 at 10:52

Grey Ghost wrote:

Can someone tell me the difference between the SS10X42M and the SS10X42? I see that the M has the parallax adjustment on the side and is $100 more but what else is different/better?

Thanks

That is the only difference.

Stevie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2004 at 20:36
Tailback, check out www.kentonindustries.com for a BDC for the Super Sniper.
Stevie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2004 at 20:40
Old shooter, the Kahles scope is outstanding.  I have found some excellent 26mm rings for mine made by www.tacticalprecision.com.  Badger quality at a fraction of the price.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2004 at 09:35
Guys I have somewhat of a problem.  Actually a big problem.  Ok here we go.  The target knobs on the SS say Strike of Round with an arrow pointing in the direction of UP.  But when I turn the knob in that direction my sight picture is taken in the opposite direction.  I would think if you adjust to the right left up or down that your'e sight picture should go in that direction correct.  I think something in those knobs was assebled backwards.  Let me know if you have had this same problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic