OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Name Your Favorite Cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 12:12
Mouth%20Taped%20Shut............Cencored........................................Laugh
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 12:31
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Squeeze, when you go on vacation, you can bring your 375 Ruger up to Montana, and he can bring his 375 H&H up.  We will go gopher hunting and at the end of the day, I will let the group here know which gun wins.

I don't think one of those gophers, let alone mbogo would know the differenceWink
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 12:34
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

yes, and some of them are wearing brands...................Smoking%20Bandit

That's what we call tattoo's on some of da yooper women. When it's dinner time their men get out the triangles and ring 'em on in.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 12:37
Squeezer, check out the new heavy magnums. Hornady is doing for the WinMags/H&H what they did for the .06 and others. They are loading them with their proprietary powders and getting great results. Except for us 7mag fans, that is. They only load the 139 gr. Big%20Smile
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 12:53
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Squeezer, check out the new heavy magnums. Hornady is doing for the WinMags/H&H what they did for the .06 and others. They are loading them with their proprietary powders and getting great results. Except for us 7mag fans, that is. They only load the 139 gr. Big%20Smile
..................Thanks! I`ll do that!.... What I`m waiting for now though, is some of that Rel #17 for my 300 WSM! Alliant says it beats all other powders in the velocity dept. with somewhat better accuracy, that are listed in the Speer manual for the 300 WSM. I`m really looking forward to chrono-ing that stuff!.............HEY! I wonder what RL17 will do in a .375 Ruger!!!! Naughty..............
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 13:03
I need to get off my butt and try some different powders, too. In the mean time I'm sticking with the 7 mag as my favorite. It has been for twenty years. Maybe when I get some more notches under the belt on the .260 that could change.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 18:05

....................Yeah! I went to the Hornady site! However, no 300 WSM ammo from Hornady let alone in the magnum loads! They do show a pretty good jump in the 300 Winny using the 180 gr SST`s from 2960 to 3100 fps. I love the SST`s. My favorite bullets for my 300! Their test barrels are more than likely 24`s.........From what I understand, Alliant is waiting for approval to transport the RL17. First, they have to go through the normal red tape BS! Where I live in So. Cal., nobody has any RL 17 yet!......... Although RL17 will work in others, Alliant created it specifically for the short mags! That`s the stuff I really want to get my hands on!Naughty 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 20:04
I have been shooting the 180gr BTSP Heavy mags at 3100 out of my 300 for over a year, and I love them.  Never tried the SSTs in the 300.  I would like to get my hands on a 300 RCM with a short barrel to play with and see how I like it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 20:06
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Squeeze, when you go on vacation, you can bring your 375 Ruger up to Montana, and he can bring his 375 H&H up.  We will go gopher hunting and at the end of the day, I will let the group here know which gun wins.
......Do those gophers up there have BIG antlers and weigh about 800-1000 lbs?.......Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin

Naughty

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 20:12
Do your women have brands like da yooper women?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 20:17

LMAORoll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 20:22

I have been shooting the 180gr BTSP Heavy mags at 3100 out of my 300 for over a year, and I love them.  Never tried the SSTs in the 300.  I would like to get my hands on a 300 RCM with a short barrel to play with and see how I like it.
.........................A 300 RCM? With a 20" tube? A "Squeezer Special?"........Hey! You`d better Mouth%20Taped%20Shut and keep that a secret around here because you`ll be in the vast minority owning a compact!............But! Trust me! If you play with one of those RCM`s like I did for awhile, you`ll REALLY like it! Play with one, but do so at your own risk,,,,,in buying!............Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 20:40
I can't afford one yet, but I am intrigued and like the idea of a lightweight performer for hiking and packing.  Once I can afford it, I will get on.  Probably a 300 RCM, or maybe a 338 RCM.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 22:16
Item 8A: 430 gr. L.B.T.- L.F.N. - G.C. (1925 fps / M.E. 3537 ft. lbs.)
(Big game up to 2500 lbs. - Penetrator Load)

Item 8B: 405 gr. J.F.N. (2000 fps / M.E. 3597 ft. lbs.)
(Big game up to 1000 lbs. - Expander Load)
Item 8C: 350 gr. J.F.N. (2150 fps / M.E. 3592 ft. lbs.)
(Big game up to 2500 lbs. - Penetrator Load)

Item 8D:

500 gr. FMJFN (1625 fps /M.E. 2931 ft. lbs.)
A non-expanding Full Metal Jacket bullet designed for the
deepest penetration on the largest game animals.
Item 8E:  300gr. Speer Uni Core @ 2350 fps (3678 ft. lbs.) 
(Big Game up to 500 lbs. - Expander Load) 
Buffalo Bore's loadings for my original favorite loading-45/70 ... I use the 350 gr load for Black bear , and the 300 gr round for deer..both work great

Edited by martin3175 - June/26/2008 at 22:17
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 22:22
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

LMAORoll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

Laugh
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 22:23
I would like to hunt with a 45/70 one of these days as well.  Used a 45 LC rifle once, and had a lot of fun with it.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 01:20

I would like to hunt with a 45/70 one of these days as well.  Used a 45 LC rifle once, and had a lot of fun with it.
....................Later, I just may add into my small arsenal, a BFR 45-70 S/A revolver with the 7.5" bbl......According to Magnum Research`s website, this thing can be loaded UP to only 30K psi, exceed the velocity of a 7.5" 454 Casull, with recoil comparable to that of a 44 mag. (about 2/3rds the recoil of the 454)......Its not exactly a light weight at 68 oz. and not for most, but I`ve handled them and they aren`t that bad at all to carry, holster and aim for handgun hunting!........The BFR line of S/A revolvers, is the only line that I know of that offers the REAL big stuff in the single actions!!..............My kinda hand cannons!!.............
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 06:07
Biggee, you are an animal!  45-70 in a revolver.  My Redhawk with full blown 300 grain loads is enough for me.  and I don't even want to know how you strength train your wrists for something like that.
God save the Empire!
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 09:01
B-Big
F- ???Loco
R-revolver

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 11:33
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Biggee, you are an animal!  45-70 in a revolver.  My Redhawk with full blown 300 grain loads is enough for me.  and I don't even want to know how you strength train your wrists for something like that.
...............Well! I do just a littleWeight%20Lifter......................

Actually!! Putting the difference in weight aside, if one can handle comfortably a full power 44 magnum, there won`t be a problem handling the BFR 45-70!.....Go to..."magnumresearch.com"....From their home page click on "FAQS"....then click on....."FAQS on BFR Revolvers" and then have a good read! The BFR is in reality, a Ruger Super Blackhawk on steroids!

Talks about PSI and explains why the lower recoil and pressure in the 45-70 regardless of the its high (with reloads only) performance exceeding the 454. Gives a chart showing the recoil differences for the 45-70 vs other guns and calibers. You should find that quite interesting as I did.

If you own the 454 Casull Super Redhawk, your factor for recoil is at the TOP of the food chain as that chart shows!!

Aside from needing a little more shoulder and some arm strength, you don`t need to be an animal as much as you may think to operate this handgun! The 45-70 is the only revolver cartridge that offers that much power with less recoil and no muzzle ports needed to tame it. The 45-70 operates at much lower pressures than all the other big bore handgun rounds! 

If one reloads it up to 30K psi, (can probably go higher in the BFR), it will exceed the 454`s performance given the same bullet weights and barrel length and do so without the recoil factor of the 454.

The only drawback to the BFR is its size and weight! But that`s ok with me! It`s not a revolver for everyone, which is what I like!      
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic