OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Adjusting the eye piece focus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjusting the eye piece focus
    Posted: June/18/2008 at 13:11
I have several different rifle scopes.Simmons, Tasco, and Redfield. Is it possible to focus the eye piece to see the target better? I am 53 years old. My eyes are getting bad. I have to put on reading glasses to read just about everything. A buddy  told me that you can focus the eye piece. I did just that on a Simmons 3x9x40 scope. I need to get to the range and play with the focus. Thanks, gearyr.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 13:16
Yes, your scopes have either threaded eyepieces or a rotating diopter.  Based on what you said, most likely, they have the threaded eyepieces.  Simply loosen the lock ring in front of the eyepiece and while looking at a blank wall or the sky, rotate the eyepiece several turns counterclockwise until the reticle is visibly out of focus.  Then turn back clockwise until the reticle is focused as sharply as possible.  Verify the focus on a distant target and make fine adjustments from there.  Then, tighten the lock ring and you're done.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
gearyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 13:20
Thank you for the reply! I am going to have to adjust all of my rifle scopes to my eyes. So I guess that anybody that has better eyes than me. The scope will be out of focus for them. I have to see what I am shooting at first. So thanks again. Now I have get out all of them rifles and adjust! It's going to take a while. gearyr.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 13:22
Originally posted by gearyr gearyr wrote:

I have several different rifle scopes.Simmons, Tasco, and Redfield. Is it possible to focus the eye piece to see the target better? I am 53 years old. My eyes are getting bad. I have to put on reading glasses to read just about everything. A buddy  told me that you can focus the eye piece. I did just that on a Simmons 3x9x40 scope. I need to get to the range and play with the focus. Thanks, gearyr.
................If those scopes have a focus eye piece, that`s exactly what they are supposed to do, focus your eye on the target and remove the blur............With your scopes, if you cannot get clear sight pics through any one of them by adjusting the eye piece, check out other and better scopes and see if there is a better difference!  
gearyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 13:25
Oh, one more thing. Do I need to adjust the eyepiece focus at the lowest setting?  Or does it mater. Most of my scopes are 3x9x40. Except a Redfield Partner 3x12x44  on my Remington Model 700 in .300 Win. Magnum rifle. Thank you, gearyr.
goodkid1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodkid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 22:53
I do not believe the magnification is a factor for focusing a reticle. But there is one other thing worth mentioning. When properly focusing your reticle, it is important to look at it only very quickly, and judge the focus from just a very short "look see". If you stare at the reticle for more than a second or so, your own eye starts to compensate for the out-of-focus reticle, making the job of correction very difficult.  It is o.k. to get the reticle close to focus by looking thru the scope while you adjust it, but then, look thru scope only very quickly and take your eye away from the scope.....make a small adjustment on the fucusing wheel (1/4 turn on the usual "lock" type focuser, much less of a turn on the newer "Quik Focus" type)....then take another quick look.... adjust ...look...adjust....until the reticle looks clear for you.  
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 07:30
Just remember that the diopter correction of the front eye piece of your scope is doing the same thing that a pair of reading glasses is doing.  If you are trying to read something up close and you are older and suffering from presbyopia, where your lens in your eye does not thicken when relaxed to refract and focus the image presented to you properly on the retina, it will be out of focus.  The fast focus eyepiece or diopter correction will do this refraction for you so you will not have to use eye glasses while shooting.  The reticle is withing reading distance as well as the image, because you are seeing it off of the ocular lens making it in the near field, not in the far field as if you were looking at the same image without the scope.
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 09:09
I adjust the eye piece  until the reticle is in focus at the same time that the target is in focus.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 11:12
Mine come into focus at the same time.  Or at least pretty close.  If there is an AO or SF adjustment, this will help bring the object into better focus.  I usually will use the eye piece fast focus to focus on the reticle first and if there is no AO or SF adjustment will adjust for the object that I aim aiming on next.  If the scope has a AO or SF adjustment, I will fine tune the object that I am aiming at with it, as it will correct for parallax. 

Edited by Dolphin - June/19/2008 at 11:16
goodkid1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodkid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 12:04
It is good idea to focus the reticle first, independent of all other adjustments for a particular shot. To this end, while focusing the reticle, aim the scope at a white wall, or even the sky, (away from the sun of course) dring the process. It isolates the reticle from all competing media.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic