OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which state would you choose for big game hunting?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which state would you choose for big game hunting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Which state would you choose for big game hunting?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [37.50%]
3 [12.50%]
2 [8.33%]
1 [4.17%]
3 [12.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which state would you choose for big game hunting?
    Posted: June/21/2008 at 14:20
Let's say that you could move to any of the 50 states. Let’s also pretend that you could easily find a job in your state of choice, and family wouldn’t be an issue. So the factor that would determine which state you would move to would be big game hunting! Which state would you choose?

I would be especially interested to know why you made your particular choice. Also - if you selected "other", please let us know your "write-in" choice.

Thank you in advace for voting!

(p.s. States are listed alphabetically, and not necessarily in order of my preferences.)

Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2008 at 14:22
I’ll get things started!

I picked Alaska because of the incredible scenery and because it has probably the largest variety of big-game species.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2008 at 14:24
oh rats - i meant to put this in the "hunting" forum! if someone could move this over there, that would be great!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2008 at 15:06
I was torn between Alaska and Montana.  I had to go with Montana for a couple reasons.  One, I already live in Montana and hunt here.  Two, Montana, has many of the same animals.  There are a few animals that I would like to hunt up there like the Dall Sheep, Moose and Caribuo.  I can hunt moose in Montana though.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2008 at 15:37
Originally posted by Jeff H. Jeff H. wrote:

I’ll get things started!

I picked Alaska because of the incredible scenery and because it has probably the largest variety of big-game species.

Same reasons here, very diverse country.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2008 at 16:29
New Mexico

Better weather, big Elk, Pronghorn and Mulies.  Nothing that will eat you.  Not near as many mosquitoes during the summer, not too far from Las Vegas!  Big%20Grin
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2008 at 17:09
alaska, if I were single.  New Mexico with my family!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 13:24
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

New Mexico

Not near as many mosquitoes during the summer, not too far from Las Vegas!  Big%20Grin

That's great, on both accounts.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 13:34
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I was torn between Alaska and Montana...

i was also...
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 13:36
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

New Mexico

Better weather, big Elk, Pronghorn and Mulies.  Nothing that will eat you.  Not near as many mosquitoes during the summer, not too far from Las Vegas!  Big%20Grin

i was really surprised when i first found out that there were elk in new mexico lol. i always thought of new mexico as being basically a desert - and i never imagined elk being in the desert!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 14:27
There are lots of forests in New Mexico----Smoky the Bear was from New Mexico!!! American%20FlagHowever, there ARE elk that live in DESERTS, too!! ( the Red Desert in Wyoming has lots of elk..) Big%20Smile

I would choose New Mexico because its got it all.  But Montana, and Wyoming, and Utah, and Colorado are great, too!!  Bandito  ( get a Winnebago!!,  you gringos!!)  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 15:51
I picked Texas because I grew up hunting there and I still have friends there who own big ranches and would let me hunt with them.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 19:20
I do very much enjoy hunting in my home state of Texas, but I love the mountains, so it was a hard choice between one of the Rocky Mountain states and Alaska.  I concur with the sentiment that if I were single, I'd probably pick Alaska because of the remoteness, the beauty, the wide variety of game, and the excellent fishing.  Second would probably be New Mexico because of the variety of game, the trophy quality of the elk and mule deer there, and the fact it's not prohibitively far from my family in Texas.  I'm quite fond of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado as well. 

Texas is a pretty good state to live in for hunters, though.

Edited by RifleDude - June/22/2008 at 19:22
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 20:33
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Texas is a pretty good state to live in for hunters, though.
texas is a pretty good state for gun owners to live period
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 21:12
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

...if I were single, I'd probably pick Alaska because of the remoteness, the beauty, the wide variety of game, and the excellent fishing.  Second would probably be New Mexico because of the variety of game...

oooh yes i forgot about the fishing there :)

i just can't get over the fact that new mexico seems to be a top-notch hunting state. i never would have imagined...

thanks for the responses so far guys! keep 'em coming!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 21:38
Well, if I had to live there, I'd probably opt for Montana. I love hunting big whitetails and they have that, not to mention eveything else available. Don't think I could adjust to the lifestyle change that remote Alaska has to offer. Plus, when was the last time you ever saw a doable chick from Alaska? I mean without a 5th of Jack in ya anyway. That would get old right quick.

Roy

No offense to any native Alaskans.

Edited by Roy Finn - June/22/2008 at 21:40
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2008 at 23:09
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Plus, when was the last time you ever saw a doable chick from Alaska?

lol
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2008 at 11:00

Well, if I had to live there, I'd probably opt for Montana. I love hunting big whitetails and they have that, not to mention eveything else available.

Ah, yes, the Milk River offers world class whitetail hunting!

On the "doable" Alaskan chick question... that might sway me from making the move, but then again, I can't say I've ever seen any confirmed Alaskan chicks to make that call.

OTOH, I do believe that singer Jewel is from Alaska, and she looks pretty good to me...
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2008 at 13:11
If I were hansom enough and rich enough to get chicks like Jewel I give up hunting altogether.   <g>

Roy
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2008 at 21:43

If I were hansom enough and rich enough to get chicks like Jewel I give up hunting altogether.   <g>

Roy

I am not sure I could ever give up hunting.  Unless it was a hot chick in a helicopter with me!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic