OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for deer rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for deer rifle.
    Posted: December/14/2004 at 09:22

Hi, I would appreciate any advice on a scope for a rifle I will be getting soon.  I'm looking at the following scopes so far...

Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50

Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50

Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10x50

My main want is a scope that will collect as much light as possible as it gets dark.  Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by carolinaflats
philgood80 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philgood80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 13:21

IMO, If you have the $$$ for the Zeiss, fork it over.  You will not be sorry.  However, I do not think that the 50mm obj. would have a major advantage over the 44mm.  Either way the Zeiss is a winner.

Philip

ljacobs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljacobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 14:48

I would recommend Simmons 2.8-10x 44mm AETEC Scope instead.  For it has a much wider field of view than any of these other models you mention.  I say this because a lot of deer hunting is done at close range.  Here in Western Oregon, long range shots are more the exception than the rule, for example.

Now if you do all of your hunting in real open land, then this would not be a reconsideration.  But otherwise, it is most helpful to have a big picture in your scope when hunting at 100 yards or less.

And you would be amazed at how good these AETEC scopes look.  While they cannot naturally match the quality of such expensive scopes, they sure are a huge value for the money.

Lance Jacobs

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 15:15

The Nikon has the largest exit pupil (20mm-5mm), a 30mm tube for more adjustment range, and side-focus parallax.

I don't think Simmons has anything on the three scopes listed.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 18:15

HAHAHAHA simmons AETEC....HAHAHAHA this guy doesnt mind spending money for some quality...one more time...HAHAHAHA...ok... i would say the 3.5-10x44 conquest, the 50mm objective doesnt let in any more light, and jsut adds bulk, and cost more money.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 20:48

Thanks for all the replys. I'm leaning strongly towards the Zeiss with the 50mm objective. The rifle it will be going on is a Winchester Model 70 Coyote in .25WSSM which isn't light  to begin with so the little extra bulk won't bother me. Most of the scopes I've used in the past were 50mm and the price difference is only about 20 bucks more. I sometimes hunt in pretty heavily wooded areas so any little bit of extra light is greatly needed. 

By the way...anybody have any experience with the .25WSSM? Seems like the ballistics are pretty much the same as a .25-06 which I really like. Thanks again! 

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2004 at 09:10
You're wasting money on the 50mm objective...you will see no advantage to the 44mm regardless of what you are thinking.  If that's what you have your mind set on then buy it, but you are wasting cash.
arro222 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arro222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2004 at 12:21
Even if it has been discussed many times, it does not mean everyone knows about light transmittance through a riflesope. CF if you do most of your scope work on high powers like 7 or 8 or higher and only if you are young. then you will need a large objective like your're  thinking. I don't know how old you are, but our irises do not get past 5 mm openings after about 40 years of age. 7mm if you're a pup. {before 40}. So a 20mm scope will transmit the same amount of useable light as that 50 mm at around 3 power. If you're older like myself, Then you can't use much more than a 36mm scope. I rarely go over 6 power. 36 divided by 6 power = a 6 mm exit pupil. My eyes are lucky to open to 5. Anything more than that is like pouring water into a full glass. The rest of the light coming through is wasted and unusable. This is why everyone is telling you to go to a smaller size objective. Just divide what power setting your scope is on the most or where it will max out for your hunting needs into an objective size. Depending on your age, if it comes out to 5,6 or 7 thats all the objective size you need. 

Edited by arro222
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2004 at 12:40

Originally posted by arro222 arro222 wrote:

Even if it has been discussed many times, it does not mean everyone knows about light transmittance through a riflesope. CF if you do most of your scope work on high powers like 7 or 8 or higher and only if you are young. then you will need a large objective like your're  thinking. I don't know how old you are, but our irises do not get past 5 mm openings after about 40 years of age. 7mm if you're a pup. {before 40}. So a 20mm scope will transmit the same amount of useable light as that 50 mm at around 3 power. If you're older like myself, Then you can't use much more than a 36mm scope. I rarely go over 6 power. 36 divided by 6 power = a 6 mm exit pupil. My eyes are lucky to open to 5. Anything more than that is like pouring water into a full glass. The rest of the light coming through is wasted and unusable. This is why everyone is telling you to go to a smaller size objective. Just divide what power setting your scope is on the most or where it will max out for your hunting needs into an objective size. Depending on your age, if it comes out to 5,6 or 7 thats all the objective size you need. 

Well said.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2004 at 15:45
I'm 23.  I'm willing to spend the extra 20 bucks unless there is a reason I should not. Thanks for all the info!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2004 at 14:33
Go for the 50mm.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2004 at 20:40

remember, larger objective = higher rings = center of scope being higher off the rifle = a bad cheek weld (most of the time) but do what you want, i will stay with my smaller objectives, and have the same preformance... hey, if you dont mind spending money, why not go for the swaro A-line???

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2004 at 21:40
I'm with Cory all the way on this one. If you want to give up the farm, then as Cory stated, go with the Swarovski 3-10x42 w/ the TDS reticle.If not go with the Zeiss with the 44mm objective.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2004 at 04:43

Conquest w/ 44mm objective. It's all the scope you will ever need deer hunting.

The Nikon Gold is a terrific scope too though.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Bart Simpson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2004 at 19:29
If your setup can handle a 50mm, go for it, especially if you hunt in SC. I don't think of too much light as a problem. I'm using a Nikon Gold 2.5-10x56(#4 reticle) and a Kahles 3-12x56 and don't feel overscoped because the rifles balance well. I also use a Conquest 3-9x40 on a 760 carbine and it's very nice. I would recommend the Conquest in 50mm if that's your preference and it works on your rifle. Good luck.
Carl in N. FL
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2004 at 21:02
Well I went with the recommendations from you guys and have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 on the way. Found one for 418.00 so for the price and figured the 44mm would do after what I'd read.  Took the new Winchester Model 70 Coyote in 25WSSM to the range this afternoon with a temporary scope mounted (Bushnell Sportview 3-9x38) that my dad has had for years. The gun shoots really well with the Bushnell so I can't wait to get the Zeiss mounted!  Thanks again for all the good advice and Merry Christmas to all!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2004 at 14:28

why not buy it from SWFA??? good choice with the objective size BTW.

cory

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2004 at 18:31

I was planning on buying from SWFA but the scope I found was on ebay and from what I read it seemed like the price guarantee did not apply to auctioned items. 

model88mattie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2004 at 11:36

Just my opinion, but I've bought and sold quite a few items on ebay as I'm sure many here have.....I have sincerely come to appreciate spending a little more (of course there's a limit) to buy direct from a company like SWFA and know 100% for sure that they will make sure I'm satisfied.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2004 at 12:25

I agree with you, but I'm a little biased.

We sell on eBay too and hear a lot of horror stories from customers that got ripped off.  Most common complaints involve people never getting their product, product not having a U.S. warranty or product being damaged or broken. Counterfeit optics got so bad on eBay that Swarovski actually did a press release concerning the problem.  We had to serve an eBay seller with papers to stop him from selling counterfeit Super Sniper scopes on eBay.  Bushnell / Tasco had to do the same thing to a company passing "off brand" scopes on eBay as Bushnell or Tasco.

The easiest way to keep from being taken is to make sure that whoever you buy from is an AUTHORIZED dealer for whatever brand you are looking to buy.  A simple phone call or e-mail to the manufacturer will tell you.

The second easiest way is to just buy it from us.   We have excellent customer service, ship the same day you order, stock just about every ring and base made, provide you with information via RifleScopes.com and OPTICSTALK.com all with a smile.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic