OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

trail cams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trail cams
    Posted: June/22/2008 at 21:40
Hey--been doing some reading from Dr. Deer James Kroll (sorry if I missed the spelling?!).  What are your experiences with game trail cameras?  What brands, battery life, flash vs. no flash, etc.  What would you recommend?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2008 at 18:02

This is the best in my opinion.

Almost all trail cams use infrared flash that the target does not see so flash is no problem.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2008 at 18:25
Is SWFA going to carry these?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2008 at 19:29
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

This is the best in my opinion.

Almost all trail cams use infrared flash that the target does not see so flash is no problem.

I've had excellent results with my CuddeBack "No Flash."  There are some trail cameras still using the conventional flash.  I don't see how that wouldn't scare animals, so I wouldn't personally buy a camera that didn't have the infrared flash.  The thing I like about the CuddeBack is the fast triggering of the pics.  Most trail cameras have a delay that causes a lot of blank shots or pics of deer tails.  The CuddeBack consistently produces more good game pics than the other camera brands we use on our hunting lease.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 12:20
Here's some pics from a Bushnell Trail Sentry. I'm pretty happy.

The hawk came in pretty good, too.

Edited by tahqua - June/24/2008 at 12:32
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 12:23
Originally posted by SChunter SChunter wrote:

Is SWFA going to carry these?

Yes we will be expanding our offerings once we build our new facility.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 12:24
Here is well after dark. The flash took away from the pic because of the eyes reflecting the light. I hope to have more pics this year.
flcooler View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flcooler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 14:12
Their is a great site that truly test and reports on trail cameras. Called http://www.chasingame.com  I and my freinds found this to be a very helpfull to for making  a purchase without wasting time and money.
Hope this helps
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 22:14
flcooler==that's a great site with detailed reviews.  What camera did you and your friends purchase?
flcooler View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flcooler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 22:21
We have 2 of the moultrie I 60 and 8 of the I 40 as far as we can tell their is no picture quality difference.
flcooler View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flcooler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 22:22
Look at the triger speed of each cameras the are different from advertised some times.
flcooler View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flcooler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 22:26

Some pics taken from yhe I-40

flcooler View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flcooler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 22:28
something went wrong their
flcooler View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flcooler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 22:35

SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 22:39
thanks--are you finding issues with trigger speed?
flcooler View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flcooler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 22:46
Not with the cams we have but cuddy back is slower than the commercials say.
One of the club members has one and some times he has problems with his cam when it's set to take pics every min.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 16:53

Update on trail cameras:

I purchased a Moultrie I-40 a month ago based on recommendations from the folks at Bass Pro Shops.  The specs on it looked impressive for the price.  I was hesitant at first, having such dismal success with Moultree products in general in the past. 

Anyway, after a month of this camera attached to a tree near one of my hunting sites, I recovered the card.  Out of 460 pictures taken 409 of them were BLANK!, with just pics of the scenery.  Of the 51 pics of animals it did take, 10 of them were of deer butts, indicating the camera triggered too slowly.  It appears that trigger time on this camera is over 3 seconds, which doesn't impress me.  The other problem this camera had is that it took black and white pics well into the morning hours when they should have been color.  The B&W pics are supposed to be only at night, while in infrared mode.  In addition, the LCD display quit on my sample.  A couple of the guys on my hunting lease have Moultrie cameras and they too get a bunch of blank pics.  The salesman at Bass Pro assured me that the new '08 cameras had addressed the problems of previous generations of their cameras, but if my I-40 is any indication, they failed.  Luckily, Bass Pro is allowing me to exchange it for another unit.  I won't be exchanging it for another Moultrie camera.  Everything I've bought with the Moultrie logo on it to this point has pretty much sucked!

As for Cuddeback, their trigger time definitely isn't as fast as advertised, but at least 90% of the pics my No Flash has taken had an animal or multiple animals in them and it was able to distinguish between day and night.  I had to return mine to the factory recently, because the case wasn't completely waterproof, and water leaked inside, causing corrosion on the circuit board.  They refused to repair it under warranty, so it cost me $100 to have fixed.  I'm not real pleased with them either, but at least the camera was reliable and took pictures of animals instead of scenery while it was working.  Up to this point, I was pretty much sold on Cuddeback cameras.  The repaired camera may have fixed all problems, but my opinion of them has dropped a few notches after this experience with CS.  

My next camera will probably be the Leaf River IR-5.  It has gotten great reviews so far, and it has 1 second trigger speed, along with some other nice features. 

Overall, though, I've had relatively bad luck with electronic devices designed to remain outdoors. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2008 at 14:47
We just picked this line up.

They claim to have the fastest trigger and to be the only unit to use a glass lens.  I like the built in LCD touch screen, super easy to program.  You can look at and delete pics while it is attached to the tree.  You can take pics with you via the card or via the USB port with a jump drive.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 17:34
Chris, have you started carrying this line?  What are the user reviews?
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 10:56
They never delivered the product and I canceled our P.O. with them due to lack of communication and lack of product.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic