OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ziess vs. Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 13:32
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

This is how I see it.-Leupold scopes are alot like Bose stereo products. Bose makes VERY GOOD sounding stereo equipment and speakers, but they certainly are not the BEST. Bose mass produces their product, over inflates the price and spends a ton of money on marketing and advertising telling the world that they are the best sounding product on the market. As a result we the consumer are bedazzled by their flashy ads, radio and television commercials. We are bombarded daily (and have been for the last 20 years) by the Bose marketing strategists. Marketers know that it is human nature to want to identify with something-be it a sports team, a particular car company, etc.... so it is only natural that we are drawn to the company that has the MOST ads, the BIGGEST ads, and the ads that tell you that "we are the BEST" Ask anyone that knows just alittle bit about stereos what the best brand out there is and they will probably say "Bose"   ...Enter Leupold... they do exactly the samr thing. You cant pick up a hunting or shooting magazine anywhere without seeing a full page, full color, usually on the inside front or back cover, ad by Leupold. So is Leupold a good scope - YES, is Leupold the BEST scope? - NO!  He who advertises the most, wins.

Very good analogy, Bose and Leupold, Brian!!! Excellent products but with a little research or a web site like this, one may find better choices and bigger return for their money.
Great analogy with Bose.  As a high fi fanatic since I was a kid, that was great to hear.  Personally, I am a Vandersteen nut.  How about you bricat and mike650.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 13:50
I'm a Brazil nut.  Bucky      
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 14:01
My stuff's old school, outdated, and mix of names from the past, Carver, McIntosh, Nakamichi, Technics, Klipsch and Bose. Wink

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 14:02
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I'm a Brazil nut.  Bucky      

You kill me Ed!! Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 14:19
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I'm a Brazil nut.  Bucky      
I knew that.Big%20Grin
My eyes hurt and I just started to check my e-mail.Whacko
Didn't Leupold get beat-up here about 5 months ago?Whacko
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 16:28

My stuff's old school, outdated, and mix of names from the past, Carver, McIntosh, Nakamichi, Technics, Klipsch and Bose. Wink

That's good stuff.  As long as it sounds good too you, thats all that counts.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 00:41
Sony ES and Rotel components - Paradigm speakers.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 04:27
Head%20Bang

Can we PLEASE try and stay on topic, Gents!!!! This thread is all about donuts!! Yippee
(Thats MUCH more fun than yet another boring 'ol Zeiss/Leupold blab-fest.) Wink
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 08:23

At last count I reload for 38 different rifles, most of them for friends.  I shoot all of them at the range to test new loads and start low for working up.  Some of those have or have had Leupolds on them.  Of course it is entirely possible to shoot small groups with Leupolds if the gun and the load are up to it but now I understand what those range provided spotting scopes behind the firing line are for - shooters without scopes or shooters who have Leupold scopes on their rifles.

This is a typical story of a range session where I went with a friend who had a new gun and I loaded up some generic loads (new case - medium powder charge) for a 7 mag, it was a Wtby Vanguard and had a Leupold 3.5x10x50mm VX-III, it could have been a VariX-III, I don't know or care just know it was new.  He would shoot and get up and go back to the spotting scope to see where the bullet hit.  After a while I started telling him where from looking at his target through my Zeiss Conquest 3x9x50.  He finally noticed and asked how I could see the bullet hole.  I just picked my rifle up and went over and set it in his sandbags.  He was amazed and impressed and made the statement that he wished he could afford a Zeiss.  When I told him I had paid a little less than $400.00 for it his jaw literally dropped.  I took his gun back to my bench and adjusted the ocular ring (I know that is only adjusting the reticle clarity) but could not make that Leupold clear up.  The next week I was mounting a new Zeiss Conquest on his rifle.

The reason I say it is a typical story because almost all of my friends who make range trips with me wind up replacing their Leupolds after looking through decent glass.  Just recently I procured and mounted 5 new scopes on rifles, none of them my own.  There were 2 Conquests 4.5x14x50 RapidZ 800's, 1 Conquest 4.5x14x44 RapidZ 800, 1 Conquest 3.5x10x50 RapidZ600 and 1 Simmons Aetec 4x14x44 (he's a cheap bastard).

I generally try not to be prejudicial and am working on it but when I see someone at the range with a gold ring on their scope I think to myself that shooter just doesn't know any better.  Sorta like in politics when someone says they are a Democrat I think that they are just not well informed and logic and facts will not work with changing their ideas.  Like I say, for those shooters out there who I am offending, I'm working on it.  Most of the time if someone in camp starts bragging about their Leupold scope, I don't say a word, well not much anyway, because it's like discussing religion or politics and they are not going to believe me anyway, so why go through the possible hurt feelings.  Now if they are to the point where they want my opinion I will give it to them, and then prove it.

Can you shoot bugholes with a Leupold, yes.  Are Leupolds tough scopes, I suppose although the only 2 scopes I had fail were Leupolds.  But, friends don't let friends shoot Leupolds.

Now I know that this is going to piss some of you guys off, but this is JMHO.  After all, somebody asked for it, didn't they?
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 09:04
Well said!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 09:16
I think that it is more often the uninformed Leupold owners who go around putting down other people's optics.  I would never pester anyone just because they chose to have a Leupold on their rifle.  And I'm sure that there are lots of normal Leupold owners, too, who do not go around making a jerk out of themselves. 

But I think that more Leupold owners are members of the OPTICS POLICE than any other brand for some reason.  I believe it is because of Leupold's smart ass ad campaigns--- and the fact that so many gun writers have got Leupolds on their rifles.  The proliferation of Leupold optics in print-- and in hunting camps-- seems to entitle jerky people into thinking that they can boast about their optics and sneer at other brands.  In all fairness to Leupold , these people would probably be boasting about their lawn mowers, too, for all I know.  It isn't Leupold's fault.  It ain't the poor little scope's fault, either---THAT is just an inanimate object----It's just the JERKS. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 09:24

Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 09:32
Is that a George Foreman donut griddle?? 
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 09:53
I think it's a Leupold donut griddle, see the golden rings.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 09:54

like D's Dad said-- your listenin to the equipment not the song. Zeiss's range of product line sucks. their technology in the conquest is (1 in tubes ,plastic turrets ) somewhat old and cheap, and have only recently updated their reticle selection. they have no lower market tier, (not a question if vx, rifleman etc are good or bad, they get compared to a conquest). comparing scopes from a bench is questionable at best. Judging the scope by their (as ed points out) marketing is a fallacy of relevance arguement. Some rifles, bolt throw, won't allow larger euro type ends.

had a conquest come apart on an ar10 decided to give them second try, as everyone thinks there so great. this one seems better made, no wobbely in the side focus. who knows it might make it past the normal leo test.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 10:37

Good one, bricat!
+1 on what Dale says, too.
Leo has a huge product line with offerings for a wide range of shooters. They won't have everything for everyone but come pretty close. They are the biggest and that is bound to displease people, also.
They are one of the brands that are always in consideration for me. The reason being is I have always had great reliability with them.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 10:39

Big%20Grin
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 10:41
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Good one, bricat!
+1 on what Dale says, too.
Leo has a huge product line with offerings for a wide range of shooters. They won't have everything for everyone but come pretty close. They are the biggest and that is bound to displease people, also.
They are one of the brands that are always in consideration for me. The reason being is I have always had great reliability with them.

Like Microsoft, big company, big target.

I agree, when choosing a scope I always check my Leupold options too.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 10:49

Very well put.
As far as arrogant Leupy owners go, I've never come across any in camps or at the range. In fact, most of the shooters I come across want to check out the 4200's, Monarch's and Kahles I bring. The Kahles C models never fail to impress, BTW. These same shooters and hunters see plenty of Zeiss but not much of the Kahles.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 11:06
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Very well put.
As far as arrogant Leupy owners go, I've never come across any in camps or at the range. In fact, most of the shooters I come across want to check out the 4200's, Monarch's and Kahles I bring. The Kahles C models never fail to impress, BTW. These same shooters and hunters see plenty of Zeiss but not much of the Kahles.

That's because your armed. I think the ugly side comes out mostly on these type forums, and this forum is mild to say the least. Much higher class of folks here.

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic