OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax DCF Sp 8x43 vs. Vortex Viper 8x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax DCF Sp 8x43 vs. Vortex Viper 8x42
    Posted: July/13/2008 at 15:33
I've been looking for a general purpose pair of binoculars, and I guess there is a lot of comparisons on this forum.

I would like to know if anyone has had experience and opinions about these two brands?

The Vortex Vipers are a little cheaper than than the Pentax, although the Vortex seems to have a wider FOV.  Both are made in Japan.

Also any opinions about the Pentax DCF ED 8x43 and the Vortex Razors 8x42? 
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 14:58
For most people there is probably not a discernable difference between the SP and the Viper.  I have the Vipers and like them a lot.  I do not have the SP's because, for my eyes, and this is a strictly personal deal, the SP has way too much color fringing for me.  Every SP I have ever looked through has the problem.  Every Viper I have looked at does not.  You might well be different.  Get one of each and return the one you do not want to keep. 

As to the Razors, they have a lot bigger field of view than the Vipers and their distance resolution is better.  The Vipers may be a bit brighter than the Razor, but the Razor is a notch up in resolution.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 16:57
I agree with Klamath, this is a personal descision you must make, both are very good optically and come from great companies.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 10:55
I have the Pentax SP in 8x43 and really like them.  I was out at the range the other day 40 minutes past sunset and was very pleased with what I could see with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic