OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Finland Low Light Scope Test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 08:06
Don't sweat it!!! Just trying to help.

Thanks again for posting this. Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
csumpm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csumpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 17:02
How old is this finnish test -- 2004?  if so, is it even relevant now?
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 10:03
The Docter 3-12x56 is a very good low light scope.Nice to see how Leupold did,many Leupold fans must be upset by the results. 
puppezed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppezed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 05:33
Originally posted by csumpm csumpm wrote:

The test was in Metsästys & Kalastus (Hunting & Fishing) issue march 2008.
puppezed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppezed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 05:47
It´s worth mentioning that both Leupold VX-III and Nightforce NF both got very good marks on their optical quality in daylight use.

The reasons why Nikon Monarch E and Nightforce NF performed poorly in low light situations were later analyzed by Helsinki University of Technology. It was noticed that the light transfer rates with blue light wavelength were poor compared to mid-european scopes. Both scopes have excellent light transfer rates in daylight spectrum.
63chuck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 09:20
ALWAYS CARL ZEISS
375ruger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 375ruger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2009 at 17:37
Originally posted by puppezed puppezed wrote:

Originally posted by csumpm csumpm wrote:

The test was in Metsästys & Kalastus (Hunting & Fishing) issue march 2008.

hello ,

my first post.

do you know if those tests were made too for driven scope ???!!!

see you
puppezed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppezed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 06:55
Originally posted by 375ruger 375ruger wrote:

do you know if those tests were made too for driven scope ???!!

Yeah, there has been a low magnification variable scope test in M&K magazine but unfortunately I´ve lost that issue somewhere.

Recently there was a low magnification variable scope test in Rekyyli, Finnish gun magazine. The test was written by guy who has won the Finnish reservist 3-gun nationals in open division several times. I´ll make a separete thread on this test when I get the magazine back in my hands. If I remember correctly, Meopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 K-Dot was the bang for a buck scope in this test (beating scopes like Nightforce NXS and Burris Euro Diamond and got beaten only by a few mid-European manufacturers) and the test was won by Swarovski Z6i 1-6x LD-I.
375ruger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 375ruger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 11:54
Thanks a lot for your answer and post the results when you can.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:40

Even online pictures looking through the Meopta K-dot scope look very impressive...almost as if there is no lenses....looks the same as everything outside of the scope.  Can't imagine how it is in person.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 10:35
ouou looks like a spamer check post
Duce  Stare
Duce
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 10:52
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

ouou looks like a spamer check post
Duce  Stare

Account has been suspended and posts deleted.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 11:40
Ah damn!! Ted beat me to it!!
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 21:00
Yes!!  is the same headache I have with Zeiss, I bought both the 3-12x56 Diavari and the 6-24x56 Diavari too, one is too low powered and the other one has very little FOV, if they could just do something like swaro's 3-18X, I would be very happy with them....

Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 21:07
Hey don't diminish Leupold, just take into account that in Germany it is legally to hunt in the night, that is why zeiss is so specialized/proficient in low light. Leupold instead makes Scopes for the US market where it is not legal to shoot 30 minutes before/after sun is down, so why would they need to make a scope so sophisticated/expensive for dark  ???

slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 01:03
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Excellent stuff. I found this very interesting. Who would expect to see Leupold so low on the list.  OK , don't all shout at once!!!
I don't know about higher end Leupolds but from my experience with their VX-I line I'd expect them to be very low. I didn't find them to be any better in low light than many of the cheaper Chinese scopes I've used. There were others in the same price range that I think are much better.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 11:01
I would have to agree with Agustinmx. Yes the european scopes are more proficient for low light as it is legal to shoot after dark in much of europe. However since we in the US are confined to 30 min before and after legal sunset (not sundown) I don't see why there is the push to mount a scope on your rifle that is heavy and costs 3x as much as a decent Leupold or Burris scope. Especially to the point of having to bash the guys that don't. I have my trusty old weaver K4 and while it is certainly no tech marvel other than being super reliable for the past 35 years it has plenty of ability to see what I'm shooting at during legal shooting hrs. Likewise my Leupolds are some what superior to the Weaver so I guess to me it's sort of like having a porsche to drive to work. Looks good but it still has to poke along in traffic like the rest of us in our pickup and toyotas. To me it really just points out two things: 1 We are really lucky to have a lot of excellent scopes avaliable to us from a relative low price of $150 to $2000 and 2: Each of us gets to spend our $$ as we see fit. I myself would rather have a good $400 Leupold ,Burris, Nikon,Weaver, Sightron and a pile of $$ left to spend on a nice hunting trip or two with a good friend as have a scope that I use to look at trees etc.in my back yard and impress myself with how much I can see in the dark. If I lived in Europe I might think differently.
De_Tomaso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De_Tomaso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 13:50
It is the same with scopes as with other things in life. Not many among us need a Zeiss, Swarovski or Schmidt&Bender but it is really nice if it is possible to have a scope in this price range. The same goes for cars, clothes, mobile phones and everything else.

The difference in quality is mostly obvious but like I said not always really needed. In things that matter to me I am always looking for quality. I know that in many cases I don't need it but still it gives me a good feeling and we live only once. So if there is possible and you can afford to buy a good product, why not? 

For things that don't matter a lot to me I don't really care. But optics is not one of those things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic