OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex diamondback 8x42 or 10x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoot4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex diamondback 8x42 or 10x42
    Posted: July/28/2008 at 18:28
I am ready to purchase a set of diamondback bonos. The only thing stopping me is trying to decide between 8x42 or 10x42. They will be used for deer hunting and low light situations.   All help will be appreciated.
Heitmann13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heitmann13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 21:39
Rifle or bow hunting?
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 22:15
8x will be a little easier to view because of exit pupil (higher the better, up to a point) and the higher the magnification, the more difficult to hold steady while viewing.   If you are going to hunt at greater distances and primarily from a blind where you can rest on the stand, then use the 10x, otherwise, go with the 8x.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 13:32
In my experience with both the Diamondback and other binoculars in the $300 and below price range is that, as a general rule,  you get better optics with the 8x than with the 10x.  I know for a fact that my eyes tell me that the 10x Viper is better optically than the 10x Diamondback.  I think the 8x Diamondback is a good deal.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic