OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hensoldt Fero Z-24 x4 for HK-91 Clone or other

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hensoldt Fero Z-24 x4 for HK-91 Clone or other
    Posted: July/30/2008 at 15:06
Hello everyone

I'm VERY new to optics and none of my current rifles have anything besides iron sights on them so please bear with me. I put this under military because the Hensoldt Fero Z-24 is a German military issue scope. Mods please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong area.

I just bought a PTR-91K. That's a 16in barrel HK-91 clone. I'm thinking I want to put a scope on it and the mounting seems limited to the claw mounts. I understand this doesn't give a good cheek weld and I will have to get some sort of riser.

The regular range I visit has has 100 and 300 yard rifle ranges so that's the distance I would be shooting from. I understand this rifle is 3-4 MOA at best. I'm also going to be getting a trigger job from Bill Springfield so I'll have a halfway decent trigger.

It seems the easiest way is to pick up a Hensoldt Fero Z-24 from CTD for $380.00. I've read they are made by Zeiss and are supposed to be good scopes.

My question is this. For just about the same price as the above Hensolt I can get a Bushnell 4200 3-9, the HK claw mount and decent rings OR for about $100.00 less I can get the Sightron S2 4x with HK mount and rings.

What would you choose (doesn't have to be my suggestions) or should I not even bother putting an optic on this rifle and wait until I get an AR?

Thank you
Davewil37 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davewil37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 17:32
The Hensoldt scope is a good deal.  That is the issue scope and mount but it does sit high.  There are other mounts available like the MFI.  Do some more searching as the low profile mounts can usually be left on the rifle and will not block the iron sights.  I am at work so I cannot search the sites for the other maker (another German comapny) With the low profile sights, you can mount regular scopes a bit lower so the check position is not as much of an issue.

Dave
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 17:36
My 91 is over 25 years old and I have tried various optics. Yes, the cheek weld with the HK claw stinks. It is your best choice in a mount, though.
The Hesoldts have had there problems with getting zero. I have been seeing problems here http://hkpro.com/forum/search.php?searchid=574649 for quite some time.
I think a modern scope like this http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx with the http://www.swfa.com/pc-6515-138-arms-1-g-3mp-5-scope-mount.aspx would be a better way to go. I could not find the threads at HK Pro that talked about the comparisons but the Hensoldts are older optics and not up to par with newer glass. Also there are a few threads on the zero issues http://hkpro.com/forum/search.php?searchid=574649.
Good luck on your decision. I dumped the optics a long time back and use it for what it is, an extremely well made and tough battle rifle.
joe_sun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 17:37
Thank you for the reply. I've researched the MFI and I've heard a lot of bad stuff regarding it. It's lightweight aluminum, flexes and it's not very stable with anything besides a red dot.

At least that's what people are saying about it.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 17:43
I forget one thing, welcome to O.T.
You can mount a red dot on top of the ARMS and that will work. I had an Aimpoint up on mine for a while and it was OK. The sight was great but I was chicken necking to use it. If the PTR is 3-4 moa, the dot is definitely worth a look.
joe_sun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 21:22
Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

Maybe I should just file this rifle away with the rest of my "no good way to scope" rifles and get one made for a scope.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 00:38
Originally posted by joe_sun joe_sun wrote:

Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

Maybe I should just file this rifle away with the rest of my "no good way to scope" rifles and get one made for a scope.

Yep there are a lot of guys trying to make assault rifles be target rifles and unless you have a lot of money to throw at it you are better off with a good scoped bolt action.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic