OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope advice please for 300 wing mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tgrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope advice please for 300 wing mag
    Posted: August/04/2008 at 15:35
HI All,

I have a 300 wing mag Remington 700 LSS.
Right now I have a Leupold VXII 3-9X40mm silver with Leupold ring.

I'm thinking about switching that scope on my 17 HMR and gething a new scoppe for the 300 wing mag.

I'd like something that would be more bright in Dusk & dawn.
I'd like to stay with a Silver scoppe the color match the barell and the stock.

I was thinking about:
Leupold VXII 3.5-10X50mm(silver)
Zeiss 3-9X50 conquest(Silver)

any advice?
or bether scopp that I din't see in my recherche?
I heard Swarovski or awsome but coun't find any in silver......

Thanks

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 17:48
Zeiss all the way out of those two.  Or if you want to keep your budget down and willing to go with black I would take a look at the Bushnell 4200 3-9x-40.  Glass nearly as good as the Zeiss conquest for a lot less money.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx
Those are great scopes, everyone on the forum that has one just loves it.  Easily the most popular scope on the site.  I would choose either one of those over the Leupold.

Edited by supertool73 - August/04/2008 at 17:50
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 19:15
I second Supertool. The 3-9x40 4200 will mount lower and is very bright. One of the best buys in scopes I've ever made......except the Nikon Monarch.
The Team Primos Nikon is also very good in the 3-9. It has the BDC that might be better for long range hunting.

TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 20:12
Forget the leupy, the conquest is easily better.  The 4200 is a better choice than the leupy but is either tied or just behind the conquest.  Can't go wrong w/ the 4200 or the conquest.
Robert
Tgrasshopper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tgrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 21:36
Black scoop on a LSS?
any one have a picture of a setup like that?

I din't know that the Elite 4200 was bether then leupold for light transmision I should a have read more about it back in the days...

This years Buchenell are making the Elite 4200 in 2.5-10 x 40mm.(SILVER)
Is it same quality ? 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 21:36
Originally posted by TheDrakeTaker TheDrakeTaker wrote:

Forget the leupy, the conquest is easily better.  The 4200 is a better choice than the leupy but is either tied or just behind the conquest.  Can't go wrong w/ the 4200 or the conquest.

+1
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 22:04
[QUOTE=Tgrasshopper]Black scoop on a LSS?
any one have a picture of a setup like that?

/QUOTE]

I prefer the matte black.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 22:12
You can get the 4200 in silver as you indicated and it is of the same quality as the 3x9---good choice
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tgrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 22:40
@tahqua Look good!
but mine the stock is gray/black

Think I'll get the 4200 in silver and keep money for a spoting scopp.

I alwayse tought the buchenell was cheaper optical then leupold.....
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tgrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 22:43
On that picture it's a 50mm?
Tought 40mm and 50mm fit the same ring....
On that picture the ring seem predy high
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 22:43
Originally posted by Tgrasshopper Tgrasshopper wrote:

I alwayse tought the buchenell was cheaper optical then leupold.....

Lots of people have thought that because of the wonderful marketing campaign of Leupold.  But there are lots of other scopes out there that beat leupold in both glass quality and price.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 23:07

HI All,

I have a 300 wing mag Remington 700 LSS.
Right now I have a Leupold VXII 3-9X40mm silver with Leupold ring.

I'm thinking about switching that scope on my 17 HMR and gething a new scoppe for the 300 wing mag.

I'd like something that would be more bright in Dusk & dawn.
I'd like to stay with a Silver scoppe the color match the barell and the stock.

I was thinking about:
Leupold VXII 3.5-10X50mm(silver)
Zeiss 3-9X50 conquest(Silver)

any advice?
or bether scopp that I din't see in my recherche?
I heard Swarovski or awsome but coun't find any in silver......

Thanks

I had a silver 50mm scope and sold it. It's just me but it seemed to be way too much silver sitting on top of my rifle while hunting.

I also had a silver 40mm on the same rifle, it was perfect and looked great. I finally replaced it last year with a matte 50mm scope and silver rings. It looks pretty good too.

Edited by mike650 - August/05/2008 at 00:24
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 08:06

On that picture it's a 50mm?
Tought 40mm and 50mm fit the same ring....
On that picture the ring seem predy high

Those are high rings with a 3.5-10X50 Leo.
Thanks for the compliment.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tgrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 08:00

I called a local shop and they told me the Elite 4200 2-10*50 is a verry good scopp and the price is good arond 420$ here in Canada.

But he told me this is not the right scoop for my 300 win mag the eyerelif is to low also with time if I end up with glass it will only be worst.

This guy in the local shop told me to go with the Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 *50
he told me 700$ for it and he seem to say that I can't go wrong with that they are robuste good optical good eye relief.

My questions is why you guy are teling me that the Zeiss conquest is way bether then the VXIII and why you guy's hate leupold that muth?

THanks
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 09:16
When a lie is repeated enough it is believed by many. This is advertising. Truth is expensive. Get your gun shop to let you look between a Leupold and Conquest outside and let you decide. Try reading print at a distance. I am very confident you will learn why so may say the Leupold is over advertised for its performance. As Walter Brennan used to say "No brag just fact."
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 09:40
 I try to stay at a 42mm lens max .  Alot of guys gripe about looks of high mounts and see thru's and then  mount a 50mm or 50mm+ scope tight against the barrel which causes some heat radiating problems and looks like a spotlight on the objective end .... kind of gawdy to say the least . Go figger .... Whacko   Leupolds .... are overrated for the cost .... high markup for the seller .... that's why alot of shops push them .... and many people still believe the Leupold hype .   3-TENS is telling you like it is ...
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tgrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 10:41

Yeah I din't ask him about the Conquest.
But I will.

The Conquest have predy muth same Eye Relief  as the Leupold.

Both scopp have the Tube size 1".
30mm would probably be bether but not realy worked for the ring price and difference in twlight.

The guy at the Shop told me to by the 50mm but I'm still not sure about that.
I used Hight ring in See thrue before and I hated it because the scoop mounth is to hight and I'm scared to instaled to hight ring, the lower the bether.

What I diffinitively want is and Improvement in the Optical in Duck & down compared to my VXII 3-9*40

and other compagnie that I looked at but might not have looked at enuf is burris.
Not sure if I should looked more closely at them are stay with the conquest.
I know the EuroDiamon is 30mm tube but that does not make the scoppe bether optical at 100%......

me is freaking confuseWhacko
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 10:48
No a 30mm scope will not be brighter than a 1 inch tube all else being equal.  As far as a 50mm, if you are going with the 3-9x or 10x 40mm is just right.  No need to go any bigger for a scope in those power ranges. 

I would buy the Zeiss, it is just a flat out nicer scope than a Leupold VX3.  the 4inches of eye relief will be nice on your .300 as well.
Just on this baby and you won't be sorry, http://www.swfa.com/pc-1525-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx

Edited by supertool73 - August/07/2008 at 10:49

Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 11:49
I have hunted whitetail in Saskatchewan for the past few years using a Conquest 3.5x10,44, and I have compared it with lots of Bushnell and Leupold scopes belonging to other hunters. I promise you that in low light, low contrast situations, the Conquest has always been superior.

One of my friends from the hunts, who shot a 300 Win Mag (Sauer) that had a VX-III, enticed me to sell him one of my Conquests because it's image was so much better than his Leupold.

I don't like the fact that Leupold's eye relief changes with magnification.

I think the Bushnell 4200 is a nice scope, but I think the Conquest is a bit better in low light.

Tom

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tgrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 12:53

I think I'll stick with the conquest  3.5-10*44
I think it will fit on the ring I already have.

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/catalog/turnin_style_rings_and_bases

I have to double check with one I have exactely I think it's the medium size.

What recticule I should be looking at in Zeiss?
I found Zeiss  web site is a bit confusing regarding recticule
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic