OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron vs Millett vs Zeiss vs Burris

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slm9s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron vs Millett vs Zeiss vs Burris
    Posted: August/08/2008 at 22:04

My Savage 10fp .308 is on its way and I need scope opinions. This will be used at the range 100-200yds 80% of the time trying to get small groups. 10% elk hunting, 10% longer range shooting. I've got a choate ult sniper stock for the range, and the factory tupperware to drag through the woods.

At home I have a Sightron SII 3-12 duplex reticle scope.  Great for elk hunting.  No AO for the bench, duplex not the best for long range.

I also have a Millett TRS-1 4-16 ill mil dot reticle.  Good for the bench.  Heavy for the woods, not great glass.

Or, I could sell both and take the ~$500 and buy a Burris black diamond 4-16 (or Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16 but only duplex reticle) in either mil dot or ballistic reticle, or a Zeiss conquest 3-9.

brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 23:40
Don't have experience with Burris or Bushnell, but I do with Zeiss. The Conquest is great glass and one I would pick out of those you listed below without hesitation.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 00:21
Zeiss
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 00:21
One too many cats.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 00:49
I've never seen the Zeiss but I'm a big fan of the Bushy 4200 series on anything except hard recoiling rifles, and that Savage should be a pussycat. The other thing is that between that 10FP and a big scope you're going to be lugging a lot of weight. I think you have a great excuse for a second rifle. Big%20Grin

Edited by sholling - August/09/2008 at 00:52
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 06:38
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

I think you have a great excuse for a second rifle. Big%20Grin

+1!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 07:12
CLEARLY, the answer is Zeiss.      

Tom

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 19:44
For me it would be a toss up between the Zeiss and Black Diamond.  When I have put them side by side, I think the glass is about the same quality.  To me the Black Diamond seems more rugged, but I haven't heard of anyone have problems with the Ziess at all.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Deerhunter61 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deerhunter61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 22:47
Zeiss Conquest....I have 5 of them and have never had a problem with any of them and they perform. Frankly when I have been deer hunting I can see out of them well past the 30 minutes after sundown.  
slm9s View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slm9s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 18:25
Re: the Zeiss, will I be able to see .308 holes at 200 yds with a 9 power scope?

Re: the 4-16, is the adj obj or side focus gonna kill my hunting ability?  i.e. walking to a clearing and seeing a bull elk just about the disappear into the timber 250yrds away, vs a bull elk running across your vision 60 yards away.   Were do you leave the adj obj?

What about a picatinny rail and have qd rings for the two scopes i own?  Sightron for hunting, TRS-1 for range/target shooting?  Will Warne QD rings return to zero?  Will a cheap Bsquare rail work, or should I get a Millett/Farrell/Warne?

Thanks for all the information/opinions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic