OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon warranty ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLOelkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon warranty ?
    Posted: August/13/2008 at 00:09

Does anyone know whether buying a used/refurbished Nikon such as on this sponsors website.  I couldn't verify but I'd heard Nikon's warranty is only for original owners but wanted to see what others have found.  I've not heard good comments on Nikons customer service but also wanted to hear what others have experienced.  Obviously I'm still considering a Nikon but not sure if used vs new would be worth the small savings.  Thanks! 

COLOelkman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLOelkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 00:11
Now that I'm awake, to clarify, just checking on whether the Nikon warranty is transferrable.
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 05:15
Nikon claims "full warranty" on their ads but, then they dump a bunch refurbs on the market with a 60 or 90 day warranty.Loco I've yet to hear of a way to tell what warranty,if any, a used Nikon would have.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 06:08
Originally posted by crispycritter crispycritter wrote:

Nikon claims "full warranty" on their ads but, then they dump a bunch refurbs on the market with a 60 or 90 day warranty.Loco I've yet to hear of a way to tell what warranty,if any, a used Nikon would have.
i believe you are correct, which is another reason to buy a zeiss or bushnell elite 4200
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 12:30
Brand new Nikons have a lifetime and they claim you don't need a receipt or warranty card, although they don't have a great reputation for service. The refurbs have a 90 day warranty. Personally I'd bite the bullet and by a new one.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLOelkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 13:17
Nikon replied to an email and said they have a lifetime transferrable warranty.  This seems to conflict with the 90-day warranty that others are noting on refurbs.  Since the sponsor of this site sells refurbs, i was interested to ask them but haven't found any link on their "sample list" website that you can ask anyone anything.  Their prices seem to be very good but I didn't want to get stuck without any warranty.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 13:26
It's weird but true, all "Nifurbs" get a 90 day warranty.

I personally think that the money you save on the refurb, it's worth rolling the dice and buying off the Sample List.

Chances are VERY HIGH that you won't have any issues any way, my friend. 
Don't assume a Nikon "refurb" means that it's been broke, repaired and back out into the system.     

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 14:59
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

Personally I'd bite the bullet and by a new one.

Same here. 90 days vs. a lifetime is a bit of a difference. Unless you're about to turn 93 or planning to sell after hunting season.Big%20Grin
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 09:19
 I have a better idea yet .... buy a new NIKON at SWFA .... 110% price guarantee and all ! Then if you're 19 now .. you won't have any hassles until you're 99 .  Some other companies you have to send the scopes to europe and god knows where to get service or replacement .... and YES .... they have been lost in the not-so-reputable overseas mail systems .  Take your time ... pick exactly what you want ... buy it and you'll be happy and satisfied for many years . Plus Cheaptrick is correct .... the man knows what he's talking about .... I have NEVER seen him spread any BS on this forum .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 16:20
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

Plus Cheaptrick is correct .... the man knows what he's talking about .... I have NEVER seen him spread any BS on this forum .

Thanks for the kind words. I have learned MORE here than I ever taught.

Buying new or a Nifurb both have their advantages.

But I'm not totally convinced that if your Nikon refurb went tits up, that Nikon CS dept would know it's only warrantied for 90 days.
See what I mean?

I bought a Pro Staff (Nifurb) off the Sample List and it still kicks ass on my .22 
Which Nikon model are you considering?   
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLOelkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 23:24
I'm considering the Monarch in either the 2.5x10, 3x12 or 4x16 and probably the 42 objective.  Although I've not ruled out the 50, I'm just not sure the extra weight is worth the extra light gain.  I've also been considering a Zeiss Conquest, Leupold vxII or III.  I've more or less ruled out the Bushnell 4200.    I've only had one quick time to look at them and it was indoors at a local retailer.  Any opinions on these are more than welcome!
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 23:48
What are you going to use it for? What rifle and cartridge? It makes a difference.

I'm not the guru that some of the wizards on here are and I've never touched a Zeiss. But I do own three Monarchs and two Bushnells. My 4200 is a beauty but mine is a bit more scope than you're looking for. A 4200 would be my first choice between it and a VXII and a Monarch - as long as eye relief isn't a factor. The Bushnells don't have enough eye relief for my taste when mounted on hard kicking magnums. For something like a 308 or a 30-06 they rock but I wanted at least 3.5" for my 6.3lb 300WM and it sports a 3-10x40 Burris Signature. I'd rate the Monarchs close behind those two. Especially my new 2-8x32 Monarch - it rocks!

Of those I own I'd rate them...
  1. Bushnell Elite 4200
  2. Burris Signature Select
  3. Nikon Monarch
  4. Bushnell/Browning
  5. Weaver Classic V-Series
Good scopes all.

Edited by sholling - August/14/2008 at 23:49
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLOelkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 18:35
I plan to mount it on a 7mm Rem Mag Browning (mid 60's) and mostly for elk hunting.  I hunt in both dark timber and wide open areas.  Although I haven't had a need for long shots typically, I expect to be hunting in other states in the next 5 years which may likely provide more open terrain.  Thus, shots out to 300-400 yds might be possible however I'd certainly need to practice longer ranges before I'd feel comfortable at more than 200 yds.  I was assuming a bit bigger than the 3x9's that I'm used to might help.  I'm also just learning pros and cons of various features and would greatly appreciate comments from people with experience.  In particular, I assume an AO is not what I'd want for hunting.  The side focus (SF) I see is not really clear to me whether this would be good or bad for my planned use.  Thanks for any help!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLOelkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 18:37
Forgot to note I do wear glasses for distance so eye relief is important. 
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 19:08
I know that the feeling of some here is that Nikon is a bit lacking in the customer service dept but you couldn't prove it by me.  I bought a used Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 Nikoplex reticle at a good price but eventually the reticle seemed to have a eye-lash peel off of it.  Looked really strange.  I called Nikon and they gave me the address in which to send the scope for repair and gave me a website to check on it's progress. Two days after they received me scope they had posted that they had shipped me a new scope.

Well......if that wasn't good enough they also sent me an upgrade.  Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 Nikoplex all new in box.  Now that is outstanding.  Now all I have to do is decide if I want to sell this one and hope I get my Kahles back from Austria or mount this on my Savage 10ml muzzleloader and hope to sell the Kahles if they indeed fix it.  Either way......my hat is off to Nikon.

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 10:08
 Yea Doug ... seems someone at one time had a bit of a problem ... I've called them many times with great response ! That should be a fantastic testimonial that should quell all the negative hype about their customer service .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 10:25
Originally posted by COLOelkman COLOelkman wrote:

Forgot to note I do wear glasses for distance so eye relief is important. 
I don't wear glasses for distance but both the Nikon Monarch/Primos and Burris Signature have a good 1/2" more eye relief tha the Bushnell Elite or the Weaver Classic V-Series.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 13:28
Thanks for sharing, Doug!
Yeah, good to hear Nikon treated you right.

Me??
I haven't had a chance to try out the CS Dept yet. Big%20Grin
No matter what I do, I just can't get these darn Nikons to break for some reason....Whistling
nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 15:03
do the refurb nikons on samplelist have a mark or something that denotes that they are refurbished so if you did have a problem and tried to send it in they would know and not honor it?
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 15:22
If they are serial numbered then I would bet that they are flagged in the Nikon database.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic