OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2 questions about 300 WSMs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 questions about 300 WSMs
    Posted: August/23/2008 at 18:09
Got a question for you guys about magnum rifles. I own a 7mm Rem mag. I don't hunt with it often but I have killed a few nice bucks with it. I prefer my 06 & .270 so I only shoot it a few times a year. Maybe 2 boxes of Winchester ammo. The gun is a Browning A bolt hunter.

I was at the rifle range with it today & this guy told me that magnum barrels don't last very long. He was shooting a Rem 700 with what appeared to be a sniper set up. The gun was very heavy & the barrel was really fat. He told me that magnum barrels for the 300 are only good for 1,000 shots.

Is that true? I always figured a gun properly cleaned & serviced will last between 5k-6k shots with regular factory ammo. 

I'm in the market for a 300 wsm, actually I've fallen in love with a Sako 85 I plan to buy very soon. My second question is recoil & weight. This gun weighs 6 5/8 lbs my 7mm mag weighs 7lbs without a scope. With a scope it weights about 9 lbs & the recoil doesn't bother me. Will a 7 lb 300 wsm loosen my teeth with recoil?

Edited by Obi Wan Kenobi - August/23/2008 at 18:11
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2008 at 18:30
First, the guy at the range does not know what he's talking about. If you don't over heat the barrel you should get double that mileage, maybe more. The 300 WSM doesn't have a reputation for being a barrel burner. As far as recoil, the 300 WSM in that weight rifle will have some bite. Only you can be the judge of your recoil tolerance, so if the 7mm Mag is acceptable, the 300 won't be a heck of a lot more. By the time you put a scope, mounts and ammo, you will be at 7.5 lbs give or take a few oz's.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2008 at 18:57
Originally posted by Obi Wan Kenobi Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

Got a question for you guys about magnum rifles. I own a 7mm Rem mag. I don't hunt with it often but I have killed a few nice bucks with it. I prefer my 06 & .270 so I only shoot it a few times a year. Maybe 2 boxes of Winchester ammo. The gun is a Browning A bolt hunter.

I was at the rifle range with it today & this guy told me that magnum barrels don't last very long. He was shooting a Rem 700 with what appeared to be a sniper set up. The gun was very heavy & the barrel was really fat. He told me that magnum barrels for the 300 are only good for 1,000 shots.

Is that true? I always figured a gun properly cleaned & serviced will last between 5k-6k shots with regular factory ammo. 

I'm in the market for a 300 wsm, actually I've fallen in love with a Sako 85 I plan to buy very soon. My second question is recoil & weight. This gun weighs 6 5/8 lbs my 7mm mag weighs 7lbs without a scope. With a scope it weights about 9 lbs & the recoil doesn't bother me. Will a 7 lb 300 wsm loosen my teeth with recoil?
...........................+2......A typical,,,,CLOWN,,,, at the range that does not know what HE`S talkin about!!. Not for a 300 WSM. Did you ask that idiot if he own a 300 WSM??? Let alone had reduced barrel life from one???..............However, the over bored (too big a case for the bore), like the 30-378`s or a 7 RUM`s, will see reduced barrel life..........Go ahead and get your 300 WSM and enjoy. And the next time someone tells you something stupid, ask them to site a specific example or some personal experience!!..........300 to 500 shots?..Grrrrr....Furious.......That bonehead had a few shots too many I`d say!!......BoozerOR?..........Light%20It%20Up
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2008 at 20:15

depends alot, on how hot you load it, I like the whissm loaded about like a hot 30-06, which still puts it 10 grs behind a 300 win mag. A 308 or 30-06 might go 7k or so. But more to the point is what level of accuracy do you expect? Hunting accuracy is a pretty wide latitude.

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 12:11
Thanks for the answers fellas.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 19:59
I'm thinking 3500 to 5000 round barrel life at a minimum - unlikely you will get there in a lifetime unless you really shoot it a lot. Max loaded 300WSM loads have a tremendous muzzle blast.  The light weight ones are (carry them a lot shoot them a little) type of hunting guns and not ideal benchrest every weekend shooters.  It should make a fine hunting rifle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
284winguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 284winguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2008 at 07:17
 I have a fairly light A-Bolt 300WSM. It does kick a bit, a little more than a 30-06 or in that ball park anyway. I reload so I can adjust the loads to to a good degree when I want..
snowflake77 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 00:10
My m70 300 WSM kicks more than I thought it would.  I sold my 300 RUM with a muzzle break and thought this would be in the same ball park out of the box.  I was wrong. I will not be shooting any varmints with this gun.  I handload and the most accurate hunting load I came up with kicks too much for anything other than a bug game trophy. 180 gr with 70gr 4831sc
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 16:21
For those folks who own Mod. 70 as well as Rem 700's in the same caliber, do you think the 70s kick more than the 700s?  I had a late 1970's version of a m70 in 30-06 and eventually sold it.  It seemed to kick more than other '06s that I shot including 700s as well as a Montgomery Ward (FN made I think) mauser.  Wondering if that had an affect on snowflake.
take em!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 22:19
I ran across an opinion from a trusted source which I will post to share since it is on point about this issue:

Home

Important Message from Fred

Please let me inform all potential customers that the following calibers are not on our list of calibers, so there is no sense asking "please". No WSMs, nore WSSMs, nor Ultras, nor STWs, nor Wbys (outside the smaller 240 Wby). These are calibers that are not applicable to the Encore.

And further, it is my opinion that they are also too much for at least 95% of the shooters in America. Please understand that the gun writers, God bless 'em, are all victims of the printed glossy magazines, and must continually come up with stories and praise about something new and wonderful, while in reality, these "Horsepower" calibers are probably the worst choice for our numbers.

While I'm not a particular fan of the old 270 Winchester, I do agree with the father of that choice, the great Jack O'Conner, whom I read religiously in my youth back in the 40s and 50s (yeah, I'm old, but not stupid). His philosophy of a gun in a moderate caliber that becomes second nature in handling for an individual, is far more deadly than those massive "horsepower" guns, that are mostly shot with the shooter's eyes closed. It's been my pleasure on several occasions to prove this theory to the macho types. When on the bench, I unsuspectingly slip ped someone a gun with an empty chamber. The embarrassment of the anticipation of huge recoil, and almost pushing the gun off the bench is enough to humble those big fella's. My point is; just shoot a gun with which you will be comfortable, and then you'll be making a well placed shot, with hopefully the correct projectile for the job at hand, and make a clean kill. Wounded game at extreme ranges is just another method of giving the "Anti's" a way to get at our sport. The average shooter will do much better with a 260 Rem, 7-08 Rem, 308 Win. Sure we'll make you a 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag (among hundreds), but please be a bit more conservative in you choice of caliber, and you'll be a happy shooter for a lifetime of enjoyment.

This message was felt necessary as myself and the rest of the Bullberry team are answering at least 25 questions a week regarding these extreme calibers. So, let's be safe, confident, and have some fun out there.

Thanks,
Fred

I will add that there are specific needs for some of the heavy calibers but I venture to say that a 308 or 30-06 will likely kill anything that a 300WM or 300WSM or 300Ultra Mag will, and the ammo is a LOT cheaper.  There has been a trend for people to jump into the big magnums over the last 10 or 15 yrs when they might be better off with a more traditional cartiridge and some hunting skills.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/23/2008 at 22:26

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 22:25
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I ran across an opinion from a trusted source which I will post to share since it is on point about this issue:

Home

Important Message from Fred

Please let me inform all potential customers that the following calibers are not on our list of calibers, so there is no sense asking "please". No WSMs, nore WSSMs, nor Ultras, nor STWs, nor Wbys (outside the smaller 240 Wby). These are calibers that are not applicable to the Encore.

And further, it is my opinion that they are also too much for at least 95% of the shooters in America. Please understand that the gun writers, God bless 'em, are all victims of the printed glossy magazines, and must continually come up with stories and praise about something new and wonderful, while in reality, these "Horsepower" calibers are probably the worst choice for our numbers.

While I'm not a particular fan of the old 270 Winchester, I do agree with the father of that choice, the great Jack O'Conner, whom I read religiously in my youth back in the 40s and 50s (yeah, I'm old, but not stupid). His philosophy of a gun in a moderate caliber that becomes second nature in handling for an individual, is far more deadly than those massive "horsepower" guns, that are mostly shot with the shooter's eyes closed. It's been my pleasure on several occasions to prove this theory to the macho types. When on the bench, I unsuspectingly slip ped someone a gun with an empty chamber. The embarrassment of the anticipation of huge recoil, and almost pushing the gun off the bench is enough to humble those big fella's. My point is; just shoot a gun with which you will be comfortable, and then you'll be making a well placed shot, with hopefully the correct projectile for the job at hand, and make a clean kill. Wounded game at extreme ranges is just another method of giving the "Anti's" a way to get at our sport. The average shooter will do much better with a 260 Rem, 7-08 Rem, 308 Win. Sure we'll make you a 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag (among hundreds), but please be a bit more conservative in you choice of caliber, and you'll be a happy shooter for a lifetime of enjoyment.

This message was felt necessary as myself and the rest of the Bullberry team are answering at least 25 questions a week regarding these extreme calibers. So, let's be safe, confident, and have some fun out there.

Thanks,
Fred

+10,000 to that
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
snowflake77 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 22:28
Nice read.
Not sure about the difference in the m70 and the 700 in relation to the kick.  What it comes down to is the weight of the gun and the load coming out. These lightweight, high caliber rifles are not for everybody. I can tell you that I would flinch shooting at a varmint but there will be none when that trophy is in the scope. This is why we keep a multitude of guns in our collection. One for this and one for that.
rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 16:52
I bought a Tikka Lite in 300WSM a while back and mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50 scope on it using the factory Tikka rings. It was brutal enough to bust the locking lug of the front ring and bring it back through the ring itself horizontally. Yes everything was tight and I have mounted countless scopes having owned a gun store for 6 years. The recoil was brutal in a 6 pound rifle. I took it in to a local gunsmith and had the barrel threaded and braked. It now has less recoil then my 243. I put Millet rings on it and will now shoot under an inch at 200 yards. Prior to that my groups were 3-4 inches at 100 yards, which must have been shooter apprehension. I hope this helps.
Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.

~Davy Crockett
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 17:13
Originally posted by snowflake77 snowflake77 wrote:

Nice read.
Not sure about the difference in the m70 and the 700 in relation to the kick.  What it comes down to is the weight of the gun and the load coming out.

To add to this, fit and stock design cannot be overlooked. Stock design alone has made a big difference for me on a .300 win. And a good recoil pad goes a long ways too.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 17:42
Wes, I'm glad I read that, makes me feel better about my narrow minded " been shootin' a .308 for 30 years why the heck change now"  LOL
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic