OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lens size vs. cost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lens size vs. cost
    Posted: September/03/2008 at 00:05
A Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 costs the same as a Buckmaster 3-9x40.
A VX-I 3-9x50 costs the same as a VX-II 3-9x40.
A Bushnell 3200 3-9x50 costs more than a 4200 3-9x40.
Even given the difference in the exit pupil measurement, it seems to me that the better, smaller scope would be the way to go.  A lot of people must see it the other way.  Does the larger lens make that much difference?

crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 02:46
Not for me. I'd rather have the better glass and keeping the scope low makes it more better IMO.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 06:26
Lens quality and coatings matter more than size alone.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 15:04
A scope having a larger objective size lense will only help once you get the the highter magnifiation settings. As stated, better glass amd coatings will go further in providing a sharper, brighter image. A scope with a 50mm objective lense with cause you to mount a scope in higher rings, which in my opinion prevents you from being able to mount the scope closer to the line of sight. I would go eith the 4200 3-9x40.

Roy

Edited by Roy Finn - September/03/2008 at 15:10
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 17:17
 40 or preferably 42mm  ..... no size of objective lens DOES NOT mean better results .... quality and coatings are the answer .... that's an old mistaken idea a larger OBJ will increase anything if the quality is'nt there  .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 19:11
 I will have to chime in here and say that a larger objective lens allows for a larger exit pupil and if all else is equal will give a better sight picture in very dim light.
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 19:22
Originally posted by dougedwards dougedwards wrote:

I will have to chime in here and say that a larger objective lens allows for a larger exit pupil and if all else is equal will give a better sight picture in very dim light.
This is true, however, it will only be noticed in higher quality glass.
Derek
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 20:03
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

Derek

Yes i second that. There also seems to be a practical choice, even given high quality glass. For example a top of the line 50mm objective scope vs. the exact same brand scope in 56mm. Yes there would be a difference but i bet it would be hard to decipher. For normal hunting and target shooting purposes, for me, a good quality 44mm objective lens max, is the most practical, anything over would just be a novelty. However, for low light hunting, extreme range target shooting, or for military sniping, then a larger 50 or 56 mm obj lens with a 30mm or larger tube may be what is needed.           
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 11:04

Derek

Just remember that the eye reacts to the amount of light transmitted through the scope.  It does not open up just because because you have a larger lens.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 11:42
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Derek

Just remember that the eye reacts to the amount of light transmitted through the scope.  It does not open up just because because you have a larger lens.

That is understood but a larger objective lens can be appreciated in very dim light when a smaller lens offers no sight picture at all.  The difference is very noticeable to my eyes.
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 12:11
Depends on the magnification that you are trying to use in the dim light scenario Doug.

A 4X-32 will let in all the light you can use whereas you would need to go to approx 50mm obj if you were using 6X to achieved the same perceived level of illumination.
God save the Empire!
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 12:23
I have a Swarovski American 3-9x36 on a custom gun. Mainly to keep weight down. I also have a Kahles 3.5-10x50 KX on a Weatherby Mark V Lightweight 240 Wby mag. The Kahles is better on higher powers in low light but, there is only a noticeable difference after about 6 power. I  use my setup with the Swaro 90% of the time just came across the Kahles at a good price. I personally would rather have better optics and a smaller objective.

CFII
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 12:59
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

I have a Swarovski American 3-9x36 on a custom gun. Mainly to keep weight down. I also have a Kahles 3.5-10x50 KX on a Weatherby Mark V Lightweight 240 Wby mag. The Kahles is better on higher powers in low light but, there is only a noticeable difference after about 6 power. I  use my setup with the Swaro 90% of the time just came across the Kahles at a good price. I personally would rather have better optics and a smaller objective.

CFII

Can we infer from your post that you feel that the superior optics of the Swarovski over the Kahles is the reason for a smaller objective lens projecting an equal or improved sight picture at lower powers?

Doug
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 13:05
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Depends on the magnification that you are trying to use in the dim light scenario Doug.

A 4X-32 will let in all the light you can use whereas you would need to go to approx 50mm obj if you were using 6X to achieved the same perceived level of illumination.

So what you are saying is that 8mm of exit pupil is 8mm of exit pupil no matter how you slice it?  If we have the same level of optical quality........a 50mm lens will be of no more benefit at 4x than a 32mm lens even in the darkest situations?  I am asking a question here, not making a statement.

Doug
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 13:23

That's it exactly - assuming the same level of optical quality.

God save the Empire!
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 13:55
They are very close in optical quality but what I was getting at is without a substantial difference in glass quality the objective size will not make a substantial difference. It does make a difference in low light but, ONLY on higher powers when the exit pupil will begin to come into play.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 14:08
 Well I learned something today.  Today is a good day.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic