OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

"short-range" AR-15 scope suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy29075 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "short-range" AR-15 scope suggestion
    Posted: September/11/2008 at 21:26
Hello all,
  I'm trying to find a scope to mount on an AR15 flat-top to shoot at ranges 100-300 yards. My problem is that I'd like to find a sturdy/durable fixed power scope (somewhere between 3x and 6x) that is adjustable for parallax... Essentially, I want a Super Sniper "Jr." Wink I'm not interested in red-dot type optics (Aimpoints, EOTechs w/magnifiers), but I'm not opposed to an illuminated reticule telescopic sight.

Can anyone provide me with a suggestion for an optic that fulfills the following criteria:
  1. fixed power in 3-6x range
  2. adjustable for parallax
  3. around or under the SS price range ($400 or less)
Thanks for any advice you can offer,
-Andy
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 22:28
the fixed 4x IOR , built (and looks) like a tank.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 22:42

First welcome to OT.

Second you don't need a parallax adjustment for 300 yards and in, most scopes without a parallax adjustment are fixed between 100 and 300 yards anyway and I doubt you'd notice a difference.  Might I suggest this one.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-8357-184-bushnell-2-7x32-elite-3200-rifle-scope.aspx It's small and is very clear.  I have one and it's plenty to get good hits out to 300 yards, but also enables you to dial down and be quick on target.  Or try this one.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-5649-1108-burris-2-7x35-fullfield-ii-tactical-rifle-scope.aspx  Same magnification, target knobs and a reticle that will work for hold offs.  Well within your price range, and will be much more versatile.

Edited to say, the one Dale posted would be another way to go.

Edited by Mithran - September/11/2008 at 22:44
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 00:31
Parallax adjustments rarely seen on a scope under 9X. All of the above mentioned scopes are very well suited for your stated goals Both Mithran and Dale have provided well suited choices.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
andy29075 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy29075 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 07:16
Excellent advice and choices; thanks to all for the fast replies!
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 08:37
Welcome to the OT ..I also used a 3200 2x7 on an 7.62x39 flat top AR and it worked very well ..the rainguard is a welcome feature also ..
Could also try a 

Edited by martin3175 - September/12/2008 at 08:38
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 09:05
+1 on the 4x IOR.  I have one and have picked them up for 3 or my biddies and they are very very good scopes.  Extremely durable with very nice glass.  The BDC is calibrated for a 20" flat top AR with 62 gr bullets.  But I shoot 55gr out of a 16 inch and the bdc in on until about 500 yards.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
andy29075 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy29075 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 10:58
Thanks all for the input!

On the IOR 4x, how's the eye relief? I've read other places that it's rather short for a low-power fixed scope. Any opinions on the rubber eyepiece thingie?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 11:21
That is actually an issue.  It has 3.5 inches but there is about a inch of metal tube after the glass ends.  I actually took a dremel to mine and cut off that extra bit of tube.  I never had a problem when I was standing up.  But when shooting prone I was constantly hitting the scope against my glasses and it was scratching them up.  It is fantastic now with that extra cut off, I think that is how it should have been in the first place.

The rubber thing can be taken off.  It did not work for me. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 19:04
Glad you asked.  Here are some pics of my latest setup.  Weaver V7 2.5 - 7 x 32.

What a dynamite scope.  Made in Japan.  As far as I am concerned it is every bit as nice as a Leupy VX 2 or 3.

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 19:17
What grip is on that rifle, Bomb Guy?
Great looking setup! Thunbs%20Up
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 19:27
Hey CheapT.

That is the Magpul MIAD.  Magpul has just released the line of MOE (Magpul original equipment) items including the stock on my carbine and a grip like you see on mine.  They are no frills OEM items and are priced right.

Edited by army_eod - September/12/2008 at 19:28
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic