OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Teflon tape between scope tube and rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeerGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teflon tape between scope tube and rings?
    Posted: September/16/2008 at 22:01
Would there be any disadvantage to applying one layer of teflon tape between the scope tube and rings? If applied carefully, across the entire interior surface of the rings, wouldn't it keep the scope from getting ring marks and provide some degree of extra grip once the rings are tightened?

Just for the heck of it I mounted my new scope tonight and did just that. I won't be shooting within the next week or so. I figured I would poll the forum and see if there was a theme of "dissenting opinions" within the replies.

My rifle is a 700 LTR in .223, the scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 and the rings are Burris Xtremes.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 23:50
the reason you don't did the same answers here, as on snipershide, is here no one believes 1) you are serious 2) you know what teflon is.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 00:25
Let me first say Welcome to Optics Talk.
Now for your question. No I personally do not believe that it is wise or necessary if you are using quality materials to begin with. There are a few ring makers that the rings are of poor quality that such a practice might be beneficial. Thus the reason for using good stuff to start out with.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 07:58
use quality rings and lap them before installing your scope and you should be set..skip the tape
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 11:45
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

use quality rings and lap them before installing your scope and you should be set..skip the tape

What he said...

I've seen so called "quality" rings out of spec before, some more some less; YMMV.  Normally the ring is under sized just a hair as the cutter is getting old.  Therefore the tape just helps to pinch the scope.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 23:10
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

What he said...

I've seen so called "quality" rings out of spec before, some more some less; YMMV.  Normally the ring is under sized just a hair as the cutter is getting old.  Therefore the tape just helps to pinch the scope.

That may be, But! If the so called "quality" rings are out of spec then ring marks are likely to occur anyway. teflon is subject to cut or crush and may not offer any help, but it isn't likely to cause any additional damage. I see what he's hoping for, but as mentioned lapping may be the better option.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 23:41
if you don't want it to slip  and want to use a tape use double faced scotch tape or better yet skate board tape.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 00:32
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

if you don't want it to slip  and want to use a tape use double faced scotch tape or better yet skate board tape.

Roll%20on%20Floor%20LaughingTeflon tape Poker Duh --- why dont things stick to my teflon coated skillet?Poker
because Teflon is slicker than greased owl snot.Shocked
If you dont want any scratch marks on your scope use Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 21:02
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

500mph tape...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 22:36
Teflon tape has a very low coefficient of friction; in other words it is slippery. Teflon tape is used as a lubricant and gasket between the threads of fittings. You don't want to use Teflon between scope rings any more than you would want to have oil between the rings and the scope. I often recommend wiping a thin layer of (red or blue) liquid thread locker (loctite) on the inside of the rings if you want to increase your ring holding strength.

If you want you avoid ring marks you might want to try Dale's suggestion of double sided tape.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 06:50
When did tape become the way to avoid ring marks?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 07:19
I was KIDDING...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2008 at 19:00
I was not suggesting double sided scotch tape as a preferred method of mounting. But I haven't seen similar material used in very cheap rings. It does seem to reduce ring marks in those cases. Personally, ring marks don't bother me at all. A light coat of decent spray paint does away with them, if a person really cares. That gives me an idea for a new thread... 
Juicespeare1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juicespeare1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2008 at 21:57
Believe it or not, I use electrical black tape cut to fit the rings and have for years. No ring marks on scopes ever. You do have to clean up the sticky residue on the scope and rings if you remove the scope from the rings which I seldom do.

In addition, this eliminates the need to lap the rings.

The black tape is sticky in the ring side and rubbery on the scope side and helps lock the scope firmly in place in the rings. In fact, when I remove horizontal stye rings the scope has to be slightly popped out of the bottom rings. Works just as well with vertical style rings as well.

As for Teflon tape, as others have stated, I wouldn't use Teflon tape as it is very slick and I think you'd really have to crank down on the ring screws more than they are designed for.

Thin, clear, double stick tape might work too, I never thought of that. But of course the thick foam types of double stick tape wouldn't work due to the thinkness.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic