OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-L - quick review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-L - quick review
    Posted: September/21/2008 at 16:50
A friend recently purchased a new Weatherby Vanguard in .308 and decided to top it with a Leupold VX-L 3.5-10x50.  He came over a few weeks ago with 3 rifles and 3 scopes to mount.  He said the .308 would get the most time on the trigger and asked if I recommended the Leupold to top it or the Conquest 3.5-10x44.  I recommended the Conquest, he decided to go with the Leupold.  I mounted the Leupold a the .308 Weatherby Vanguard sub-MOA.

Today we went to the range to sight in.  I also mounted a Bushnell 4200 (firefly - not a fan) on a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm Mag.

First and foremost, at the same power setting, I found the Bushnell brighter (to my eye) than the Leupold.  Clarity was about the same.  Next, I seriously hate the firefly reticule, it is at least 5x thicker than the standard duplex.  Perhaps for a dedicated low-light or night-time gun, it'd be OK; if not, the reticule covers allot of the target at any power setting - far too course for my purposes.

The Leupold was nice, felt good, looked great, and didn't impress me with optical clarity.  The clicks were positive and barely audible, the rifle shouldered well.

The most positive remarks I can muster on the VX-L were these:
1.  It lasted 10 rounds and didn't break.
2.  It sure is pretty to look at!
3.  It ain't mine!

When we finished (and I did keep my thoughts to myself), the friend noted that he was disappointed in the brightness and said he might want me to mount the Zeiss on the .308 sooner rather than later.

When it comes to Leupold, it is what it is: a decent scope from a company with great customer service - that costs too much and doesn't optically impress.

My 4X IOR was noticeably brighter and sharper than the Bushnell and the Leupold - both at 4X.

And the suppressor on my 10/22 with standard-velocity .22 LR 40-grain rounds was as much fun as one can have with his pants one - in my humble opinion.

A good day was had by all!

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/22/2008 at 08:13
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 16:56
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The most positive remarks I can must on the VX-L were these:
1.  It lasted 10 rounds and didn't break.
2.  It sure is pretty to look at!
3.  It ain't mine!

LOL......What reticle did the Leupold have?

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 17:20

How did the Vanguard shoot? Was the Conquest the best looking scope of the three.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 18:09
The Leupold is indeed a pretty scope, the Conquest has much better glass but won't attract as much attention on the gun range.  People really seem to think Leupold makes the absolute best scopes - and if you ain't got Leupold, you don't know better.

It had a standard duplex reticule.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 18:50
Yeah it is the same down here, Leupold seems to rule the roost although popularity has waned thanks to the local importer inflating prices to a rediculous amount.

I have had a mark 4 and think that it is a nice scope with good glass but by no means the best.
Always learning
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 20:23
Despite the fact that I'm a Leupold fan....I agree with your conclusions.  Leupold hasn't lost a step...everyone else seems to have caught up or passed them.  Especially in the 'best bang for the buck' department.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic