OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need scope advice for M77 compact

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cypress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need scope advice for M77 compact
    Posted: September/23/2008 at 16:40
   I need some input on a new scope for a new Ruger M77 compact in stainless steel.
Criteria: variable power in the area of a 3-9, must be light and somewhat compact, must match the gun (silver, nickel, or something), must be bright enough to shoot by moonlight, absolutely can not cost enough for my wife to divorce me. My options so far are the Burris FF II 3-9x40, Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40, and Weaver Classic V 2-10X38. Which of these would be my best option. Feel free to throw some more names in the hat. I've seen the Elite 4200 2.5-10X40 but its $400 dollar price tag is likely to start my wife out the door. Thanks in advance!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 16:48
Not sure if you saw this scope, but I think it would be hard to beat!

take em!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 17:20
Originally posted by Cypress Cypress wrote:

I need some input on a new scope for a new Ruger M77 compact in stainless steel.
Criteria: variable power in the area of a 3-9, must be light and somewhat compact, must match the gun (silver, nickel, or something), must be bright enough to shoot by moonlight, absolutely can not cost enough for my wife to divorce me. My options so far are the Burris FF II 3-9x40, Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40, and Weaver Classic V 2-10X38. Which of these would be my best option. Feel free to throw some more names in the hat. I've seen the Elite 4200 2.5-10X40 but its $400 dollar price tag is likely to start my wife out the door. Thanks in advance!!!
........................Well! Well! A Ruger compact owner like me? What do ya know!! Not too many around here on this forum. 

The Ruger Frontier stainless with a 16.5" barrel? To my recollection the new stainless is only available in the Frontier model.

Before I mention my scope reco, what caliber do you have and how are you going to use it? Average hunting distances? Terrain type? Game? etc.

On that rifle, i believe you can use either a scout scope or a conventionally mounted scope. I`ve used both on my rifle and very well experienced with both types on game and bench shooting..................I`ll set ya up good! Wink

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 17:25

Personally, I found that trials in my marriage make us stronger, buy the 4200 and work things out.  She'll love you even more for standing up for something that's worth the $.  Anyway, try the line she uses when buying her stuff: "it was on sale at such a great price, I couldn't pass it up.  I practically made money buying this!"

The 3200 is good, the 45200 is better.  Avoid the firefly reticule.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 17:45
Since we are going to test his marriage take a look at the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 as well. A fine scope for a compact rifle. 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 17:50
Originally posted by rockblaster rockblaster wrote:

Since we are going to test his marriage take a look at the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 as well. A fine scope for a compact rifle. 
....................Oh Yeah! That`ll work!!...............She`ll say; "see ya and start packing!".............Laugh
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 17:58
The approach that has worked best for me, is kind of like their shoe deal....... buy enough that they can't possibly tell when you've bought a new one or upgraded to something better!  Don't use a joint account to pay for it!  Don't let her see you carry it in the house and NEVER EVER let her see the packaging!!!

22 yrs and counting, I'd say its worked so far!

Edited by Tip69 - September/23/2008 at 18:00
take em!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 18:07
Whooooops! A correction!..........According to the Ruger website, the compact (non- Frontiers), are available in the stainless barrels for the conventionally mounted scopes. No scout mount option with these!.......Must be new for `08 &`09.....
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 18:23
I have a new 4200 2.5-10x40 in the for sale section if you decide to go with that scope.  It is new, I did mount it on a 270 M77, but it has not been shot.  May have faint ring marks from being mounted.  If no takers by the weekend it will be sighted in and kept.  $310.00 TYD in the lower 48 States.  Just an option and about $100 savings. 

Edit:  Sorry, it is matte, did not see that you wanted silver, etc....

Edited by antleraddiction - September/23/2008 at 18:26
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 18:40
My M77 Compact Rifle in 7-08 currently wears an Elite 3200 3-9x40.  That scope seems right at home on that gun.

Eventually I'll probably upgrade it but, not for some time to come.

Killed a pretty nice buck antelope last week with that gun.  Heading up after deer just as soon as I can get out of work on Friday.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 19:14
Any of the above Nikons and Bushnells and let me add the little Nikon Monarch 2-8x32. That will be right at home on a small rifle.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Cypress View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cypress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 19:14
The gun is not mine yet but it's gonna be a compact (non frontier) in .260 Rem. I'm in desperate need (read wife thinks it's critical to this hunting seaon) of a lightweight rifle and like the ballistics on the .260. Oh yeah, and I don't have a gun  in .260 yet so it makes sense. I guess I should have boldfaced the part about the $400 price tag and divorce. Just for giggles which of the three would you choose. I know nothing about the new weavers but I'm thinking of going with it.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 19:25
I never keep secrets from my wife when it comes to buying new toys... ever!
Angel

Cypress, given your stated budget and requirements, I would probably go with either the Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 or the Bushnell Elite 3-9X40, both of which have excellent optics, are less than 13" long, and weigh around 13 oz., which is pretty light for a variable scope in this magnification range.  Both also cost around the $300 mark.

Edited by RifleDude - September/23/2008 at 19:26
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 23:50

The gun is not mine yet but it's gonna be a compact (non frontier) in .260 Rem. I'm in desperate need (read wife thinks it's critical to this hunting seaon) of a lightweight rifle and like the ballistics on the .260. Oh yeah, and I don't have a gun  in .260 yet so it makes sense. I guess I should have boldfaced the part about the $400 price tag and divorce. Just for giggles which of the three would you choose. I know nothing about the new weavers but I'm thinking of going with it.
................The 260 Remy in that Ruger compact is a little sweety and very handy rifle.

Now to the scope........I know the color shade of that particular stainless. It is not like the "Target Gray" dull stainless used on the Frontiers. It is a shinier stainless on the non-Frontier compact.

It will be extremely difficult to match or even closely match the scope color to the barrel. The silver shades on the above suggested scopes which you can use, are a brighter silver and a different shade. Rather than contrast nicely with that stainless barrel, the brighter silver scopes may instead clash with the barrels stainless color.

You may want to consider just putting a matte black scope on. Your salt and pepper stock (the same one I have), has darker shades and will tie in nicely to a matte black scope. Rather than silver rings, I`d use the matte or gloss black Ruger 1 piece rings which will tie into the scope`s black color.

On the other hand and if you don`t have to have a 260, why not just get the Frontier version with the dull target gray stainless barrel in the 7mm/08; a better and more versatile cartridge imo. With that barrel color, a matte black scope will look better and SO WILL a Leupold in the "gun metal gray." The Frontiers also give you the scout scope option.

Also, the target grey`s barrel, with either a black scope or the Leupy gun metal grey will be less reflective in scaring or spooking game. My choice of the two, would be a gun metal grey Leupy which would look absolutely wonderful. But that choice may just,,, jump start,,, your divorce proceedings!!..........Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

For the Ruger compact, you should keep your scope as light and as compact as possible, which is why I would favor the 2.5-8x36 VX3 in either the gun metal grey or matte as a conventional mount for the target grey compact.
Cypress View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cypress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 16:49
Good info Big Squeeze. I'll wait till the gun comes in and try one of my matte scopes. Does anyone know how good the Weaver V series scopes are?
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 17:07

Good info Big Squeeze. I'll wait till the gun comes in and try one of my matte scopes. Does anyone know how good the Weaver V series scopes are?
...............I`m just a little leary of putting a bright silver scope over a shinier stainless barrel. The matte, blued and the dull grey barrel finishes are easier to color co-ordinate a scope.

The Weavers are good scopes for the money and would work very well.  
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 17:08
Quote You may want to consider just putting a matte black scope on. Your salt and pepper stock (the same one I have), has darker shades and will tie in nicely to a matte black scope. Rather than silver rings, I`d use the matte or gloss black Ruger 1 piece rings which will tie into the scope`s black color.
That is very good advice. I think silver and black looks much better than three mismatched shades of silver.

Here is an example...

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 17:18
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

Quote You may want to consider just putting a matte black scope on. Your salt and pepper stock (the same one I have), has darker shades and will tie in nicely to a matte black scope. Rather than silver rings, I`d use the matte or gloss black Ruger 1 piece rings which will tie into the scope`s black color.
That is very good advice. I think silver and black looks much better than three mismatched shades of silver.

Here is an example...

..................Very good!.............A matte black scope w/ black rings, will look better over a stainless barrel. The stainless Ruger compacts with the salt & pepper stock, will tie in nicely with a black scope....Wink 
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 20:16
When me and my ex-wife split...she took my 'lil Ruger'.  But I had already bought another one.  I still miss the gun.  **true story-it's in the seperation agreement**
I like the Burris FF II, I put a Burris Short Mag on the one she let me keep...and hate it.
oh. well...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic