OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Binocular Window Mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12gage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binocular Window Mount
    Posted: October/02/2008 at 22:51

Has anyone used or seen a light weight binocular window mount.  Either made of a light metal or good durable plastic.  Also, I need one that the clamp opens to at least 1 inch.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2008 at 11:09
Lots of companies make the window mounts for spotting scopes.    The one I have was  made by Bushnell and cost me something like $35-$40.   I'm pretty sure the clamp on mine opens up to more than an inch wide. There are plenty of others.

Add to one of those a binocular-tripod adapter (Vortex makes a good one that is super lightweight for $20) and you'd be set. 
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
12gage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12gage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2008 at 13:19

Has anyone had any experience with Gorilla Pods?  My primary questions is:  are you able to pan with them?(not for gold wise guys)   Also, how heavy are they?

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2008 at 13:49
I both have and use a GorillaPod.  It is fantastic.  It allows you to set up your camera/spotting scope (a smallish one)/binocular in all kinds of interesting places.  It is one of my favorite tripods.

GorillaPods do not have a tripod head of any kind.  They are just the tripod legs. You have to buy a head if you want to be able to do any kind of panning or adjusting.   I personally prefer the small Mini-Ball head from SLIK.  It is more than enough for holding a binocular, small spotting scope, or my DSLR and weighs mere ounces. 
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2008 at 14:16
http://www.swfa.com/pc-5076-799-bushnell-window-mount.aspx

This might work for you.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - October/07/2008 at 14:20
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2008 at 22:39

when you use window mount, do you have to worry about breaking the window if you don't use the force evenly?  I am thinking about getting one. But don't want to end up with a $300 repair bill for a $20 mount. thanks

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2008 at 23:45
Originally posted by spf2 spf2 wrote:

when you use window mount, do you have to worry about breaking the window if you don't use the force evenly?  I am thinking about getting one. But don't want to end up with a $300 repair bill for a $20 mount. thanks

I've never had a window break on me.  I've even had my huge 80mm spotting scope on my car window routinely and it has never been a problem.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2008 at 00:18
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

I've never had a window break on me.  I've even had my huge 80mm spotting scope on my car window routinely and it has never been a problem.

That's great to know. Thanks a lot.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2008 at 17:53

Years ago, the same homemade, rectangular, Bean Bags that were used on the shooting range, for support, were also used over the top of car or truck windows, to steady optics. Very safe and very inexpensive. 8>}
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2008 at 14:28
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Years ago, the same homemade, rectangular, Bean Bags that were used on the shooting range, for support, were also used over the top of car or truck windows, to steady optics. Very safe and very inexpensive. 8>}
ahaa.. I can smuggle a pillow out of house next time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic