OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - whats the difference and why the price difference?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

whats the difference and why the price difference?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats the difference and why the price difference?
    Posted: October/16/2008 at 21:30
I was just wondering what is the big difference between the Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 and the conquest 3.5-10x44.  Ok so the obj. is a little bigger, why does it cost so much more; $650 as opposed to $450?  The eye relief is less; 3.5 as opposed to 4in.  Is the quality of glass better?  Is the quality of something else better?  It cant be just the obj. because Zeiss has a conquest in the same section as the 3-9x40 that is the 3-9x50 for $550.  The 3.5-10x44 is like in a different category or section  under most cabelas or bass pro shops and other similar catalogs.  I'm just wondering why is this so much more expensive and what is so much better about it?

thanks
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 21:36
Some of this comes down to volume of sales. The 3-9x40 is the most frequently used scope for big game hunting. Optics companies sell many of these, so the price is lower. Also any scope with higher magnification is usually going to be higher priced. I think at the higher magnification, the glass has to be better to make the image remain clear.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 22:02
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Some of this comes down to volume of sales. The 3-9x40 is the most frequently used scope for big game hunting. Optics companies sell many of these, so the price is lower. Also any scope with higher magnification is usually going to be higher priced. I think at the higher magnification, the glass has to be better to make the image remain clear.
thats a a pretty reasonable answer and i wont argue it. although i kinda think its retarded that they do stuff that way

Edited by pyro6999 - October/17/2008 at 06:09
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 22:49
Well, I do know that the Z plex in the 3-9x40 is a little different than in the 3.5-10x44. The center (thinner center section) is wider between the heavy outer lines than in the 3-9x40. So if you want one you should look through the two and compare before you buy.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 06:21
There's more glass there, for two obvious reasons. Magnification, and objective size. For this reason additional engineerining costs are there to keep the weight within comfort parameters, There are I'm sure some other design issues that cause this as well. Then as was stated supply and demand.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 13:53
The reason is not so complex guys, there is no real difference in the cost of the two scopes, Zeiss just makes less money on the 3-9x40.  It is sort of a loss leader deal.  When they launched the Conquest the flagship 3-9x40 had a promotional price of $399.95.  Well sales volume dropped significantly when the promo went away, Zeiss brought back the $399.95 price last year to stimulate sales but have since raised it back up $50 because that is the lowest they can get it now because of the weak dollar against the EURO.
SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 15:18
so is the 3.5-10x44 worth the extra $200?  i do hunt in low light often, so will I notice a significant difference with the 44mm obj.? (by significant i mean big enough for it to be worth around $200 more with just a little more magnification)
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 15:31
The 3.5-10x44 is not worth $200. more, in my opinion.  They are too close in magnification and objective size for the human eye to really realize any difference.

One is not brighter than the other if they are put on the correct power to achieve a 7mm exit pupil.  The 3-9x40 puts out 7mm on 5.7x, the 3.5-10x44 does it on 6.2x.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 15:41
Ah, come on Chris that .5x is going to make it so I can kill my buck easier.  Top%20Secret
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 18:06
seriously, get the 3-9X40, you won't be disappointed!
take em!
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 21:10
You will like the 3-9x40.  Earlier this year when upgrading to a conquest, I picked up a 3-9x50 at a gun show for $425.  I was already set up for a 50mm objective so I got the 50, especially at that price. Otherwise I would have gotten a 3-9x40. a number of which were on the Sample List at the time. You will not see any difference at the lower power ranges and you can mount it lower.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2008 at 00:13
3-9X40 is a gem! A gift from the gods!
slip View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2008 at 17:00

Some of this comes down to volume of sales. The 3-9x40 is the most frequently used scope for big game hunting. Optics companies sell many of these, so the price is lower.

That doesn't make any sense  Trigger. Imagine you have 100 Zeiss scopes and 1.000+ customers that want to buy it. How would you form the price?
I would increase the price and make more money :D But that's just me!

Slip

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2008 at 17:14
Originally posted by slip slip wrote:

Some of this comes down to volume of sales. The 3-9x40 is the most frequently used scope for big game hunting. Optics companies sell many of these, so the price is lower.

That doesn't make any sense  Trigger. Imagine you have 100 Zeiss scopes and 1.000+ customers that want to buy it. How would you form the price?

Slip

sure it does its called supply and demand, just because you only have 100 zeiss scopes doesnt mean the guy down the street doesnt have 200 zeiss scopes, everybody and there dog makes a 3x9 scope, except companies like nightforce which is more geared towards tact and target shooters, companies like that arent intrested in the majority of hunting folks. so companies like bushnell, leupold and nikon have flooded the markets with 3x9s in various lines hell leupold has at least 3 different lines of scopes in a 3x9, nikon has at least 3 also, bushnell has probably got 6+ lines with a 3x9 in it, doesnt take long to have ten million scopes for one million people.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2008 at 17:19
If you had to pay engineers to develop products, wouldn't it be easier to pay them for developing a product that you sold lots of? Many times products that are sold in greater volume are priced less. I see this quite a bit in my business. I think if you wanted to raise the price of your 100 Zeiss scopes for your 1000 customers, the customers would buy Bushnell 4200 Elites! The development cost of these scopes goes in to the price of the product. If you sell many scopes, that cost can be spead out to many customers. If you only sell a few of a certain scope, a few people have to pay those costs. If your development cost is $1000 and you sell 1000 scopes, you can pay for it with a dollar per scope. If you only sell 100 scopes, then you are looking at $10 per scope.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2008 at 18:50
i know that i have posted something very similar to this before but while i have so many people saying go for the conquest, what do you guys think while comparing the Zeiss conquest 3-9x40, and the Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42?  I've got it down to these two scopes for sure and want to know that i am making the right choice.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2008 at 11:38
I have the Zeiss, but I haven't ever looked thru a Big Sky, not sure if many have.  Are you unable to compare them both side-by-side?
take em!
SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2008 at 16:24
no, no one carries sightron around here besides one small shop that has one low end cheap model,  so thats why the questions have been a little extensive. (sorry)
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2008 at 17:53
Originally posted by slip slip wrote:

Slip

I honestly don't believe that something will become lower in price just because the demand is high for the product.  It is more likely that as the new 4x zooming systems on rifle scopes become more popular the optics manufacturers are selling off the lower 3x  systems and planning on discontinuing them.   Thus a lower price to clear them out.  But for me the good ole 3-9 magnification is all I really need for whitetail deer hunting in Virginia.
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2008 at 23:27
This isn't a simple supply vs demand issue here, there are other factors involved!  In a simple system, high demand will always lead to higher prices and lower demand will lead to lower prices as will higher supply lead to lower prices and lower supply leading to higher prices with all other factors remaining unchanged.  Competition would be one of the "other" factors, so is production costs.
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic