OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Handguns for home protection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pronghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handguns for home protection
    Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:42
Wife and I are talking about purchasing two handguns for home protection.

One would be for my use, and one for her.

I am thinking .45 ACP in 1911.  Stopping power without being to hard to handle.

Please give me your best shot.Big%20Grin

Cartridge?
Model?
Manufacturer?

Or???  I am open to all constructive input.

We go to the gun range as a family.  Have not practiced much with handguns.

Thank you,

Pronghorn

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:46
Problem with 1911s is you have to spend a lot of money to get one that is reliable as a Glock or XD. 

If you are okay spending alot, then a Wilson, Night Hawk, Ed Brown, Les Baer are some pretty good ones.  As far as production guns Kimber makes a pretty nice gun.  I have one of those and it works pretty well, but not as reliable as an XD or Glock.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Pronghorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pronghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:54
XD ??

Which cartridge for the Glock?

Thanks 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:56
Get the biggest caliber that you can handle well.  Handguns are all weak, so the bigger the better.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:57
HK USP
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:58

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 22:59
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Get the biggest caliber that you can handle well.  Handguns are all weak, so the bigger the better.  
i wouldnt say that, from the .44 mag up they are nasty in my book the .500s&w will dislocate your shoulder if your not prepared, i sure as hell wouldnt want to get hit with that geo metro.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:00
As I said the biggest caliber you can handle well.  

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:02
i agree, i wouldnt use any of those big sombitches for home defense, 10mm isnt a bad choice
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:03
agreed, 10mm would be about the best you could get until you get into the magnums which are to much for most people. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:05
a 10mm might be a little much for a female?? depending on the gun
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Pronghorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pronghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:08
So far.

Glock
HK USP
Springfield XD

.45 ACP
10MM

I have shot the .45ACP.  How does 10MM compare?  How does stopping power compare?

Thanks again.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:11
10mm would probably be superior to the .45 ACP.  They would be pretty close though. 

I would look to a .40 or a 9mm for the wife.  Some gals handle the .45 and 10mm just fine though, just depends upon their training.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:11
General Information:
Load No
Caliber
Grains/ Grams
Bullet Style
Brand
Use
P10HS1
10mm Auto
180 / 11.66
C45C
45 Auto
185 / 11.99

Ballistics Comparisons:
  Velocity in Feet per Second (To nearest 10 FPS)
Load No
Caliber
Muzzle
25 Y
50 Y
75 Y
100 Y
P10HS1
10mm Auto
C45C
45 Auto

Energy in Foot Pounds (To nearest 5 Foot Pounds)
Load No
Caliber
Muzzle
25 Y
50 Y
75 Y
100 Y
P10HS1
10mm Auto
C45C
45 Auto

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:12
Those 3 handguns listed are probably the best out there as far as reliability and shootability.  I am all about the 1911's, nothing beats the feel of them, but can't justify $3000 to get a good one.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:15
We were shooting ballistic glass once with our precision rifle just to see what it would do.  When we were done we all pulled out our handguns and started shooting it.  The 9, .40, and .45 would just bounce off.  The 10mm was actually penetrating into the glass and sticking to it.  

Pronghorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pronghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2008 at 23:28
pyro6999, thank you for the .45ACP 10MM comparison.

supertool, thanks for your experience with 10mm.

This is very helpful, please keep info coming.

Of the brands mentioned, any particular models? 

Which brand(s)/ model for wife?  She is 5'1" tall.

Are these guns under $1000??

Thanks
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 00:26
Are these going to be carry guns?  If not and are just home guns, nix the handguns and get a shotgun or carbine.

9mm is just fine with some of the top names in hollow point ammo, shot placement is key.  10mm if you can find the ammo is a great round.  Staw away from .40S&W.  It's needlessly hard on guns and doesn't perform much better than 9mm.

All that said Glock 17/34 9mm (17 rounds), Glock 19 9mm (14-15 rounds), Sig 229 9mm (14-15 rounds), or Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm (14-15 rounds) for wife, and you.  If you are dead set on a .45ACP then a Smith & Wesson M&P45 (10 rounds) or the Springfield XD45 (13 rounds).  The Sig is the most expensive at around $700.00-900.00, the others are about $400.00-700.00. 

Those would be my suggestions.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
Pronghorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pronghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 00:41
Home guns.

How does 9mm compare to .45ACP in knock down power at close range?

Thanks
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2008 at 09:17
Cencored What abunch of crap this thread has turned into and fast.

Get Her a Browning highpower and you do the same.  Don't worry about stopping power until you have all yours shot into the bottom of a pop can at  10 yards in a split second.  When you can do that then you can start adding power. You have to have a hit into the vital area damn fast. In pratical terms there is not that much power differance between a 9mm and a 45.  A short .45 only turns out 9mm numbers.  There is a differance between recoil and that is the differance between getting a good hit and a bad hit.

You need to hit the "tee." That's eyes to the spine with the heart mixed in.  No two people heart is in the exact same place; ask a heart Doctor.  That takes a certain amount of control. That means skill.  Skill means getting the muscles trained right the first time. To do that you need to get the recoil managed.

Start with a 9mm.  They are much easier to feed and have less recoil. The High power has a smaller grip and is a big favorite of women shooters.  Both of you having the same gun gives an edge. If you get something else latter ok. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic