OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

45/70 marlin which barrel length is better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 45/70 marlin which barrel length is better
    Posted: November/17/2008 at 13:51
Im looking at getting a 45/70 marlin,Here,s the problem which is the better
barrel length 18.5 inch 22inch or the 24inch.
I know there all good barrel lengths.
but what I would like to know is what length would be a good all around fit
for this rifle. I hunt elk in eastern washington state with a 300 mag its great.
I want to hunt the west side of washington state and I need a good brush wacker
I think the 45/70 fits the bill.
most shots would be 150 yards or less maybe 200 yards at the very,very max.
could anybody help out there.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 14:28
I have one with the 24" and like it a lot.  It gives me the ability of the extended ranges and is still a very light gun that is easy to carry and use.  The little bit of added velocity that the longer barrel will make on a large .45 cal bullet will make a big difference in bullet drop.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 14:32
A 45/70 drops about a foot at 200 yards (when sighted in at 100).  There are many calibers that offer far better ballistics.  I'd get a 30-06...or something a little larger, depending on your quarry.  Also, ANY bullet that hits a limb or twig will get 'knocked off'....so the idea of a brush rifle is kinda silly.  Brush Gun = 12ga. with OO Buck.

To answer your question, I like a short barrel.  It's easier to move thru the woods and it doesn't hit on ever limb you go under when slung on your shoulder.  I've owned several compact Rugers (like a 16-17 inch barrel) and they are by far the best rifles to hunt in the woods with.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 16:35
I also like the 18.5" barrel in a Marlin lever gun, as long as your shots are under 150yds, this should make an excellent heavy cover gun.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 18:18
Originally posted by realist realist wrote:

Im looking at getting a 45/70 marlin,Here,s the problem which is the better
barrel length 18.5 inch 22inch or the 24inch.
I know there all good barrel lengths.
but what I would like to know is what length would be a good all around fit
for this rifle. I hunt elk in eastern washington state with a 300 mag its great.
I want to hunt the west side of washington state and I need a good brush wacker
I think the 45/70 fits the bill.
most shots would be 150 yards or less maybe 200 yards at the very,very max.
could anybody help out there.
..................The 45-70 is at its best a 100 to 150 yard round. Quite a big bullet drop from 100 to 200 yards as previously mentioned.

Since your shooting MAY extend out to 200 yards and for the timbers/brush, I would opt for a quick handling, more compact flatter shootin rifle with more than enough stopping power for elk out to 200 yards............Do you have to have a lever??

Speaking from personal experience because I have this rifle but not in the same caliber, for your situation, based on what you are looking for, I strongly suggest you take a good look at the Ruger Frontier chambered in the 338 Federal; 35.5" OAL, 16.5" barrel, 6.75 lbs. before scope. It is perhaps, the best handling bolt compact on the market.

You can scope it conventionally over the receiver, put a scout scope forward on the barrel, put a 1x red dot on it, or opt for all to adapt to whatever terrain you`re hunting in. Scope conversions are quick to do on this rifle. It is the only rifle to offer both conventional mount and the scout mount. Acquisition and aiming is very fast!!

If you are open to a bolt, consider the Frontier.

BTW! I forget which, but there is an audio/video on either "gunsandammo.com"  "shootingtimes.com"  or on "rifleshooter.com" in their video section, showing Boddington plinkin away at the range shooting this very rifle in the 338 Federal.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 19:41
That video is at "shootingtimes.com" called "The 338 Federal Rifle Cartridge."
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 22:40
The 45/70 will serve you just fine..I know you didn't ask about other cartridges--just what barrel length would be preferred. I have 2  Marlin 45/70's ..A XLR on left ( 24")and the 1895 ( 22')  on the right . I have the XLR at the gunsmith now getting cut down to 20" .. I personally haven't tried a Guide Gun out, but haven't had any issues with the 22" tube to date. I like the pistol grip also, and that is why I went with the XLR and am having it cut down to be a little bit more stand friendly ( gonna be my go-to bear gun). Give Buffalo  Bore ammo a try. The 300 gr loading is listed at 2350 FPS and the 350 gr loading at an honest 2150 fps- all from a 22 inch barrel...more than enough to carry out to 200 yds ..

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 00:21

I dont have either however I have looked longingly at both.  I do like the pistol grip stock rather than the straight stock and at distance think the longer barrel is an advantage. The 45-70 is a fine and versital cartridge and other than that I do like the .375 H&H 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/18/2008 at 00:21

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 18:29
I like the straight grip better on my marlin,  it just seems quicker to shoulder.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 00:13
my Marlin 45/70 with the 18.5" barrel.  I really like how short it is for brush hunting.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2008 at 13:08
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

my Marlin 45/70 with the 18.5" barrel.  I really like how short it is for brush hunting.

.............What a good lookin and beautifully wood grained,,,"Squeezer Special!"...............ClownClownClownClownClownClownClown
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 22:21
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

.............What a good lookin and beautifully wood grained,,,"Squeezer Special!"...............ClownClownClownClownClownClownClown

It is!  Now I would like to kill something with it.  Let me say though, that it does a number on pumpkins!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
realist View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 14:48
I went out and marked 100 yards 150 yards and 200 yards. I shot all three 45/70s
18.5 in 22 in and the 24 in.
depending on the bullet you shot this is what I  found out.
the 18.5 is a great rifle 100-125 yards great 125 plus yards it drops fast.
the 22in like I said depending on the round was better no problem hitting 200 yards
with about 7-8 in drop.
the 24 in was the best over all 100 yards 150 yards 200 yards very accurate with about
a 4-6 in drop at best.
I used buffalo 300gr 350 gr Hornaby 325gr and garrett 420gr for my little test.
with that said and reading all the replys .
I think the 22 in and the right round would be best over all and even better if you could
get it in stainless.
the xlr is great to . For a brush rifle its a little long barreled for me.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 14:53
THe new hornady lever evolution bullets are awesome.  I don't care for the factory load, so I pull the bullets and reload my own powder.  But they have significantly less drop and are quite a bit faster than the flat nosed bulelts.  It really changes the abilities of the 45-70.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

realist View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 16:33
which 45/70 do you shoot  Supertool73 ? 
 Is there a reason you dont care for the factory loads or do you think it performs better
with your own load and you can get more performance out of it,
then the factory loads can.
just wondering.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 17:07
I have the 24" barrel.  The Leverevolution factory loads suck ass, they are lawyer proof loads if you ask me.  I could not even get my gun to zero with my scope it was dropping so much at 100 yards.  I pulled the bullets and loaded them much hotter and was hitting about 10 inches higher at 100 yards.  Velocity was up over 220 fps as well.  Supposedly they loaded a few runs with a different kind of powder and that is what caused the problems.  But now, I just buy 3 or 4 boxes and pull them immediately and dump out the powder and load them up with H4198 and reseat the bullets and I have much more powerful ammo.

I also figure if you are shooting a gun like a 45-70 it should rattle your teeth when you pull the trigger.  None of these sissy half loads for me. 

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 11:45

Shocked
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 12:13
If you don't reload these l;oads should be able to rattle your teeth:

God save the Empire!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 15:59
Originally posted by realist realist wrote:

I went out and marked 100 yards 150 yards and 200 yards. I shot all three 45/70s
18.5 in 22 in and the 24 in.
depending on the bullet you shot this is what I  found out.
the 18.5 is a great rifle 100-125 yards great 125 plus yards it drops fast.
the 22in like I said depending on the round was better no problem hitting 200 yards
with about 7-8 in drop.
the 24 in was the best over all 100 yards 150 yards 200 yards very accurate with about
a 4-6 in drop at best.
I used buffalo 300gr 350 gr Hornaby 325gr and garrett 420gr for my little test.
with that said and reading all the replys .
I think the 22 in and the right round would be best over all and even better if you could
get it in stainless.
the xlr is great to . For a brush rifle its a little long barreled for me.

Good feild test realist, I think you did well with what you had available. I do want to reinforce what supertool said though. If you want to get some real satisfaction out of your 45/70 then look at loading some rounds. I have had similar results with all my big cal lever guns. Finding that some just simply didn't do well at all with factory ammo. But once I loaded ammo for it, it was a joy to shoot. My latest was my marlin 444 with 22" barrel that I first thought may be a lemon because it would not group at all with the Rem ammo that came with it. But I had already got the loading dies for it so after building four sets of 5 rounds for powder charge I gave it it's best chance to stay with me. Excellent!! I now have a 444 that if I want to, I can dial in a confident shot to 300yds. So enjoy your rifle and happy shooting! OH! and Welcome to the OT.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 22:22
I heard the same thing about the Hornady rounds having a few runs of "slow" stuff due to powder supply issues... I wonder how many made it to the retail shelves
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic