OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle Scope Upgrade Which one!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igt2beme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle Scope Upgrade Which one!
    Posted: November/18/2008 at 09:23
I hunt with a 3X9X50 Nikon Prostaff mounted on a Remington 7600 chambered in 30.06.  The scope optics are great but it does not do very well in low light conditions.  I live in SC and we can legally shoot an hour before and after sunrise or sunset.  I can not see anything for about the last 20 minutes of legal shooting time.  I can see deer fairly easily in my binoclars but not through my scope so it has to go.  I am not a rich man so $350 to $400 is my limit.  Which scope should I buy?? Am considering Bushnell elite 3200, 4200, Sightron Bigsky, or Nikon upgrade.   Does anybody have suggestions or sother scope ideas???  I would appreciate all answers
Lee H.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 10:20
4200 is probably the best deal going in variable hunting scopes.  The optics will be significantly brighter.  If 3-9 works for you now, no reason to change.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

For a step up (in price and in optical quality), consider a Zeiss Conquest.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1525-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx

The Zeiss is $50 above your listed range; however, they do show up on the Sample List from time to time and that would put it in your range.

The Zeiss will be brighter, either would be a significant improvement.

I hear good things about Sightron but do not own one, so cannot offer any first-hand input.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 10:24
Originally posted by igt2beme igt2beme wrote:

I hunt with a 3X9X50 Nikon Prostaff mounted on a Remington 7600 chambered in 30.06.  The scope optics are great but it does not do very well in low light conditions.  I live in SC and we can legally shoot an hour before and after sunrise or sunset.  I can not see anything for about the last 20 minutes of legal shooting time.  I can see deer fairly easily in my binoclars but not through my scope so it has to go.  I am not a rich man so $350 to $400 is my limit.  Which scope should I buy?? Am considering Bushnell elite 3200, 4200, Sightron Bigsky, or Nikon upgrade.   Does anybody have suggestions or sother scope ideas???  I would appreciate all answers
...............At the $350 to $400 price point, either the 4200, the Monarch or the Big Sky is about as good as you`re going to get. The 50mm objectives in those scope brands are over your budget as is the Leupy VX3.

You`re going to have to increase your optic quality, while reducing your objective size to meet your budget. An optical upgrade with a 32 mm to a 42mm objective will be better in low light, rather than having a scope with a 50mm objective with lower optical quality.

Another option is the 2 or 2.5-8x32 (if I remember correctly) Zeiss Conquest @ $399. 8X on the high end is more than adequate for the 30-06.

On your 7600, a lower profiled scope with a smaller objective will look better anyway. 

igt2beme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igt2beme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 10:51
So the 4200 Bushnell in 2.5x10x40 would be a better choice than the 2.5x10x50 in the 3200 series??? 
Lee H.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 10:56
yes!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
igt2beme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igt2beme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 11:01

How much difference would I see in the 50mm and the 40mm in the 4200 series.  Would it be worth spending the extra money.  Its about $100.00 as far as I can tell

Lee H.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 11:32

At 3X no difference in brightness that you can use in either scope.  At 10X the 40MM scope will give you an exit pupil of 4mm Vs 5mm for the 50mm scope.  May make some difference at last shooting light.

Whether you can achieve a comfortable cheek weld with the larger 50mm scope bell may be a bigger issue as well as weight and aesthetics. Those are personal issues.
God save the Empire!
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 12:16
Think I would save $100 and get the Bushnell Elite 3200 or the Nikon Team Primos (both sell for $200 @SWFA). Have hunted with both scopes in low light situations and found them to be excellent. The Elite series has the Rainguard coating which is useful in wet conditions. Both feature above average optics, light transmission, and are light weight and durable. I have found the 50mm adds weight and little appreciable advantage. Of course I have never been able to afford the upper echelon scopes where it might make a difference?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 12:17
I just posted a "review" of my Kahles CL 3-9X50 in the "Member's Tests and reviews" section.  I would HIGHLY recommend you save a little longer and get one of these!  Mine is not the "Multizero" and was less expensive.   Here is one with the multizero from the samplelist.com

6234 Kahles 3-10x50 Helia CL Multizero 51723, Matte finish, 1" tube, plex reticle, side focus, fast focus eye piece, Allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, no ring marks, close to new condition. $1,315.00 $749.95
take em!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2008 at 19:14
I agree with Todd, I think your going to have to jump up to the $500.00 plus range to get the results your looking for, the Zeiss conquest would be my cheepest suggestion, next would be a Meopta R1.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
sheephunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheephunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 23:49
I put a Nikon Team Primos on my 300 this fall and I like it a lot. After looking through mine my buddy bought one he really likes it. We have a truckload of scopes between us. The 4200 is nice too but I prefer the Nikon Primos.
"There is no defense comparable to that of being fully prepared to meet the enemy." George Washington
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 00:47
Let me jump in and be the first to ask a stupid question - do you know that how bright a scope appears depends on which power you have the scope adjusted to?
For example with a 3-9x40 scope if one wished to use the scope at its greatest ability to gather light one would want a 7mm exit eye pupil and one would accordingly divide the objective size 40mm by 7 = 5.7 power.  So if you take the scope you have and dial down the power to 5.7power  ---- POOF it just got brighter.  So understanding the concept lets say you selected a 50mm objective and divided 50 by 7= 7.1power and so by using a ten mm larger objective you have gained about one more power of magnification increase at the maximum level of gathering light.  Now having said that I really like the Bushnell 4200 scopes especially the 4-16x40 but having a 40 mm objective if its turned up to 16 power  you are down to a 40divided by 16= 2.5mm exit eye pupil which is not very bright.
Point being you have to turn down the power when it gets dark. Try that with the one you have and see if you still want something else and if you do TRADE IN the one you have to SWFA and get what you want to use.   Good Hunting Rudolph

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/24/2008 at 00:48

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 07:00
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I agree with Todd, I think your going to have to jump up to the $500.00 plus range to get the results your looking for, the Zeiss conquest would be my cheepest suggestion, next would be a Meopta R1.

Me, too.....once you commit yourself to spending a big gol-durn pile of cash for a fancy-pants rifle scope----stay up there with the BIG, BAD, FANTASTIC Scope Brands!!!  Bucky    Once you get up to the neighborhood of $600-700, don't even look at anything less than Kahles, and IORs and Meoptas..........( that's what I would do if I had any money....Stare )
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 07:01
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Let me jump in and be the first to ask a stupid question - do you know that how bright a scope appears depends on which power you have the scope adjusted to?
For example with a 3-9x40 scope if one wished to use the scope at its greatest ability to gather light one would want a 7mm exit eye pupil and one would accordingly divide the objective size 40mm by 7 = 5.7 power.  So if you take the scope you have and dial down the power to 5.7power  ---- POOF it just got brighter.  So understanding the concept lets say you selected a 50mm objective and divided 50 by 7= 7.1power and so by using a ten mm larger objective you have gained about one more power of magnification increase at the maximum level of gathering light.  Now having said that I really like the Bushnell 4200 scopes especially the 4-16x40 but having a 40 mm objective if its turned up to 16 power  you are down to a 40divided by 16= 2.5mm exit eye pupil which is not very bright.
Point being you have to turn down the power when it gets dark. Try that with the one you have and see if you still want something else and if you do TRADE IN the one you have to SWFA and get what you want to use.   Good Hunting Rudolph

I like that "POOF"......    Roll on Floor Laughing
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 10:55
Only thing I would add to Urimaginaryfrnd's post is that Glass quality and coatings quality will make a difference with low light as well!
take em!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2008 at 07:48
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

4200 is probably the best deal going in variable hunting scopes.  The optics will be significantly brighter.  If 3-9 works for you now, no reason to change.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

For a step up (in price and in optical quality), consider a Zeiss Conquest.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1525-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx

The Zeiss is $50 above your listed range; however, they do show up on the Sample List from time to time and that would put it in your range.

The Zeiss will be brighter, either would be a significant improvement.

I hear good things about Sightron but do not own one, so cannot offer any first-hand input.

+1  Thunbs Up
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 20:55
The Nikon Prostaff always fails in low light conditions.Try the Sightron SII 3-9x42 great scope for around the $200 mark and yes it works great in low light for me for over five years.I recently just used the new SII Big Sky and have to say its brighter than my Zeiss Conquest and works better in low light.Hope you buy a Sightron the best warranty in the business.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 21:05
Originally posted by igt2beme igt2beme wrote:

An HOUR AFTER SUNSET???  You might outta invest in a spotlight.  In Va. it's a half-hour and that's pushin' it for even the best scope made....
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 07:00
I think "POOF" is as good as "snort"................we need to use that more often!!! Bucky
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic