OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Press Release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 09:23
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think they are trying to say that this particular gas mixture is better at handling rapid temperature changes than poor old nitrogen. You know like when you take your rifle out of the cabin into 100 degrees below zero.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 11:24
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think they are trying to say that this particular gas mixture is better at handling rapid temperature changes than poor old nitrogen. You know like when you take your rifle out of the cabin into 100 degrees below zero.

Laugh   [ This does not apply to the do-it-yourselfers who want to " clean" their crosshairs and put a vise grip on the locking ring and then remove the ocular bell to look inside there.............Shocked]      ( but you fellers already knew that....)
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 11:43
I hope fast focus is part of the package.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:02
I don't recall seeing the fast focus as a new feature. Alot of new names though.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:06
I didn't see that, either. I'm just thinking that they have to be looking at the competition from 4200, Monarch and Conquest. Those three have definitely benchmarked Leo for some of their products. I think we are all coming out on top because of this.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:12

i cannot understand why they dont put fast focus on all of their scopes

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:42
I do!  They want to keep the ocular bell down to the size of an airplane hangar instead of the size of a small city---so it can be mounted on top of a rifle!!!    Flame    Good for them!!!    Bandito
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:50
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I do!  They want to keep the ocular bell down to the size of an airplane hangar instead of the size of a small city---so it can be mounted on top of a rifle!!!    Flame    Good for them!!!    Bandito

you are on dope ed!

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:51
I know that when B&L first started making the 3000 and 4000 series they said they had the make something that was significantly better than what was out their in the price ranges. Personaaly, I think loosing that Bausch & Lomb logo hurt them more than anything else.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:55
Ed might not be to far off the mark because larger oculars do cause problems mostly with bolt actions and handle clearance.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:57
all of my scopes have fast focus and i havent noticed any issues
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 12:58

Bow
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 13:00

( ........all of pyro's scopes are probably all nasty and scratched the hell up from where his bolt handle has been slamming into them.....but he hasn't noticed any issues!!!   Roll on Floor Laughing)  

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 13:02

the fast focus doesnt make the scope that much bigger around maybe 1/4" more than a scope without which isnt much of anything and certainly not enough to become a clearance issue with the bolt.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 13:12
Well, it would be a problem with a few old timers out there.....but not with 95% of rifles produced today.......however, since I have some of those old rifles ( Winchester Model 70 is on the borderline....and a Winchester Model 52 takes some EXTRA CAUTION 'cause that bolt handle comes up way high...) so this THING ( FAD?) of fat eyepieces annoys the hell out of me.......as well as the STAMPEDE of the scope companies to give everyone FOUR INCHES of eye relief........that's fine for 30-378 Weatherbys but how about us regular guys??  I can't push the scope far forward enough!!  Cussing    Soap Box       Get Your Popcorn Ready      Soap Box 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 13:48
Ed, the same guys that tell you that they need that 4 inches of (Leupold) eye relief will never say that these same scopes (Leupold) have an eye relief that varies by an inch or so. The longer relief of these (Leupold) almost always comes with a narrower FOV. That is not a problem either. Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Gold Ring.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 17:30
I don't care for "fast focus" either.  How often do you ever adjust that?  Plus how do you use Butler Creek flip up lens covers, AND adjust that focus ring?  I don't see that as a big improvement in scope design.  I'd rather have a smaller ocular as well. 
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 17:43
The ocular size has not affected any of my rifles. I set the focus and then put my Butler Creek's on. That way I have a visual aid as to what my most common setting is.
Now that I have started wearing glasses I have taken quite a liking to the fast focus feature. I ran into a problem with one of my Burris Signatures with a locking ring focus adjustment. I had to back it off so far that I thought it would come off. None of my fast focus scopes have that problem.
I hope Leo goes with this feature.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 18:54
Fast focus oculars have gotten way more attention than is genuinely need on scopes that have reticles in the second focal plane. Euro scopes with their first focal designs benefit more because with their side focus parallax adjustments apparently the reticles can change position as you change parallax settings causing the reticle to go slightly out of focus. Also using flip-up scope caps in a pain in the arse with the fast focus oculars.
Valjean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valjean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 20:18
If the VX-3 is replacing the VX-III, are there going to be closeout prices on the VX-IIIs?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic