OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Press Release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 18:56
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

I'm gonna have to call B.S. on that one. 

So you do not believe it is possible?  It is.
Quote In my own experience the only type of ocular adjustment

Well, in my own experience I've had the Leupold style come loose but never the FF style move, so I guess that cancels that.  Except, I'm not saying your claim that you had the FF style move is BS.  I don't make claims without evidence.
Quote I haven't seen the long list of people who are challenged to tighten the Leupold style.

I haven't been a member here very long so you might guess those are based upon discussions on other boards which would be rude to link here.  They're there if you care to look, including the most infamous Luppy underwear wearin' fan on all of the internet, E, stating it has happened to him along with numerous others.  Of course it requires his backward logic to use that as an argument for that style, but that's beyond the point.

I don't know how much it has been discussed here, (maybe we should start a list!) but I really think you'd need to have lived in a cave to have never heard of it happening, much less think it's impossible.

But I don't think fast focus is "better" for the reason stated. 

You haven't addressed the reasons stated, all you've done is argue one perceived problem you have with it.

Does nobody else ever shoot your rifles, ever?  Does your eyesight never change, even minutely?  Do you ever compare your scopes to others?  Etc, etc.  You haven't made any argument of why you think making a feature so difficult to use it effectively ceases to be a feature is better besides your fear of a problem most of us who have used these scopes find not to be a problem.
Quote some folks think any scope that doesn't have it is junk.  Loco

I don't recall anybody here saying that.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 19:01

Let me count the ways.  Lighter, more compact, more reticle choices, significantly smaller ocular bell, better fit and finish, non-plastic turret caps, better customer service, better packaging, smoother turret clicks, different turrets for up/dwn lft/right, should I go on?

To raise the scope tube to allow bolt clearance will raise a shooters cheek on most modern classic straight comb stock.  Bad advice.  It is advantageous to keep the scope closer to the bore for a number of reasons.

I had to call Zeiss 3 times to get a replacement turret cap since one of mine was deformed.  The Zeiss STICKER they put in the center of the cap was bent in half and falling off.  It took 3 calls leaving my name and address all 3 times to finally get it a month later.  They also come in the poorest quality box and packaging of any scope I've ever seen.  In my youth I bought $30 Tascos in more protective boxes.
hmm sounds like you like leupolds to me, and just because you had a bad experience with zeiss doesnt automatically make them a bad scope. as far as ring height goes, going from a low to a medium isnt a big deal, not everybody can use low rings so thats a moot point, some rifles you have no choice. most of the stuff you mention is "superficial" i will agree that leupold has a huge reticle selection, and there custom shop is neato, but other than that most of your issues are your opinion which is fine, but i would hardly say that those things make a zeiss a bad scope. in the same breath i will say that the vx3 isnt a bad scope, but for what leupold wants for one they are kidding themselves.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 19:31
Actually a VX III 4.5-14 would have cost $200 less than my Conquest.  Like I said I'm not a Leupy cool aid drinker.  I own Swarovski, Zeiss, Nikon Monarchs, Burris Black Diamond, VX III's, Elite 4200, and Weaver T24.  I have no reason to be a brand loyalist who denies any fault with Leupy's.  But it's a little nauseating the people who think their knowledge of optics is proportional to how much they don't like Leupold.  ALL designs have trade-off's IMO.  And that's really what this is....an opinion forum.  I'll leave the details to some of the "wiser" members here who have owned more different brands and styles of scopes than I have.  

I realize there's a backlash here from years of Leupold loyalists.  However Leupold haters are just as repulsive.  I'm neither!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 19:36
im not a hater either i still have a few varixII's in service.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 19:54
Sometimes I think the Leupold fans and loyal followers should just leave it at that. What I don't like is how insulting some of them become if you should dare veer off the path established by our great grandfathers. I don't see the heavy handed loyalty here, but I can think of one site where you will be deemed a flatlander, novice, yuppie, greenhorn if you don't comply. Hell even Leupold advertising suggests the same arrogance that is instilled in the brand loyal enthusiasts.

Edited by Roy Finn - December/07/2008 at 19:56
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 20:25
Doesn't Leupold state that they have fast focus as well, the only difference is their's lockable?

I've had few vari-xIII that served me extremely well. One thing I noticed throughout the years was the power selector dial on all of them eventually became very hard to turn; they also all had some kind of internal lubricant that eventually leaked around the same dial. I had one vx-II that was my favorite Leupold, after many years of use it started to stiffen up as well though not nearly as bad, no fluid leak. IMHO, wouldn't that would be more of a concern?

I've been using Swaro's for two years now and love 'em. I do notice that I usually have to check and maybe reset the silky smooth fast focus dial after one of our "hard hunts". No problem!!!

Edited by mike650 - December/07/2008 at 20:50
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 20:39
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Doesn't Leupold state that they have fast focus as well, the only difference is their's lockable?

A bit of relativism, I guess.     Wink     For the VX-III's with the "faster than they used to be" focus, they call it:
Quote Lockable, fast-focus eyepiece.

For the Euro-style VX-7, they call it:
Quote Internally threaded, extreme fast-focus eyepiece

Excellent
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 20:42
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

A bit of relativism, I guess.     Wink     For the VX-III's with the "faster than they used to be" focus, they call it:
Quote Lockable, fast-focus eyepiece.

For the Euro-style VX-7, they call it:
Quote Internally threaded, extreme fast-focus eyepiece

Excellent

Roll on Floor Laughing  Excellent   Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 05:03
Marketing hyperbole is the same no matter what the product!!!!

Roll on Floor Laughing
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 05:15
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 06:08

Edited by 8shots - December/08/2008 at 06:10
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 08:03
 may have been posted, too long to sort thru-- all mk4 leos are fast focus without creating an oversize unit.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 08:09
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

may have been posted, too long to sort thru-- all mk4 leos are fast focus without creating an oversize unit.
which is a good point most fast focus scopes are like that also, look at bushnells scopes they are like that and so is nikon.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 08:43
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

That is being saved to my hard drive. Very funny.

Roy
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 09:04
That one is great for this site.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 09:19
could you imagine posting that on 24hrcampfire! those guys would be pissed
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 09:29

Actually a VX III 4.5-14 would have cost $200 less than my Conquest.  Like I said I'm not a Leupy cool aid drinker.  I own Swarovski, Zeiss, Nikon Monarchs, Burris Black Diamond, VX III's, Elite 4200, and Weaver T24.  I have no reason to be a brand loyalist who denies any fault with Leupy's.  But it's a little nauseating the people who think their knowledge of optics is proportional to how much they don't like Leupold.  ALL designs have trade-off's IMO.  And that's really what this is....an opinion forum.  I'll leave the details to some of the "wiser" members here who have owned more different brands and styles of scopes than I have.  

I realize there's a backlash here from years of Leupold loyalists.  However Leupold haters are just as repulsive.  I'm neither!

Is it jus Moiu or du yu smell a "Closet Leupold Fan"
Let me give you my two scents worth
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 09:40

Skunk

Do you have anything of interest to add to the discussion or are you just trolling for confrontation?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 10:00
I did not expect the negative backlash regarding fast focus eye pieces. It is a feature I have taken to in the last few years. I would like to see Leupold add this to a popular line of scopes and that's pretty much it.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 10:06

Skunk

Do you have anything of interest to add to the discussion or are you just trolling for confrontation?
it appears to me that if anyone is looking for confrontation it is you sir, you are the one on the defensive as i read it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic