OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How to decide?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 23:05
I won't claim it's any better than anyone else's approach or hunting style but I really thought long and hard recently about upgrading the scope on my rifle and decided against it. In my case, I have a Rem. LTR in .308 with a 20" barrel. I've been pretty happy with the Leupold FX-II fixed 4X scope that sits on it now.

You have a .270 ( a necked down .30-06) so you can reach out farther, but as long as you are thinking that 0-300 yards is your desired range, you really don't need to worry about BDCs or high magnification. For practical purposes, I don't consider the .308 that lethal beyond 300 yards - at least on elk - so I have standardized on one load and used the ballistics calculator at http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj/traj.html to figure out my maximum point blank range zero for an 8" dia. vital zone. That is great for antelope and works even better for bigger animals. At 100 yards, my aim point is 3.5" high and at 300 it is 4" low. It worked just fine on the two antelope I shot this year - one at 310 yards with a 15 mph crosswind and the other at 230, both off a Harris bipod.

Despite what one poster said, at least for me, at short range 4X is not a problem. Mostly that's because I shoot a lot of .22 through a 4X scope. I got a cow elk at 35 yards when I jumped her in thick timber this year. It was no problem getting accurate placement even through she was running.

Again, I'm not trying to claim this style is better. You have to do what works for you, but if nothing else, play around with the ballistics calculator and consider what you can do with a maximum point blank range strategy of some sort.

Jon
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2008 at 23:25
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Despite what one poster said, at least for me, at short range 4X is not a problem. Mostly that's because I shoot a lot of .22 through a 4X scope. I got a cow elk at 35 yards when I jumped her in thick timber this year. It was no problem getting accurate placement even through she was running.
Jon

I have found this to be true as well.  I have used 3 and 4x my whole life and have never ever been over scoped for any shot I have ever taken.  Even running deer, elk, small game within 30 yards have never been a problem. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 09:18
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Jon

I have found this to be true as well.  I have used 3 and 4x my whole life and have never ever been over scoped for any shot I have ever taken.  Even running deer, elk, small game within 30 yards have never been a problem. 

which i also agree with, which is why i think a good 3x9 is all that is needed
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 14:54
ok, but here is my delimma. I don't want to spend $200 and wish I had a better scope for low light. I don't want to spend $500 and the 2 or $300 one would suffice for my needs. I know you get what you pay for, but then there's the line where you are only paying for a name. I just don't know where that line is for scopes. Zeiss, Nikon, Burris, Leupold,...they all have great names and great reputations. But when is enough enough?? A local Sporting goods shop that is privately owned sells more Nikons than anything. Does that mean Nikon is better than the others listed??------not neccessarily. I just want a really good scope to take home my Trophy buck and put meat on the table.
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2008 at 15:05
buy the zeiss, i currently have 3 nikons on three of my rifles i also have a 4200 elite on one, i will tell you that there isnt any hype about the zeiss conquest, the down fall with nikon is there poor customer service dept. leupold is one company that you pay for a lot of name.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 18:53
I've heard of a $30-$50 dollar rebate on the leupolds is comming after Thanksgiving.  If your going a leuo, wait a couple of days.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 20:42
I'm with pyro - get the Conquest 3-9X40!  I put one on my son's .270 and he "loves it"!!!  He took his first two deer with that combo along with 130 grain Federals in the blue box this past weekend.

I have a Kahles CL 3-10X50 on my 30-06 and its low light capabilities are incredible!!!  I'm currently considering upgrading my other son's scope from a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 to a Swaro American 3-9X36 from the samplelist.com.  It is the same as I paid for my CL off the samplelist and is about $200 more than a Conquest.  Is it worth the extra 2 bills, I don't know, but it sure as hell will look sweet on his BAR .243!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic