OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for my new 7mm magnum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for my new 7mm magnum
    Posted: December/12/2008 at 06:55
I hunt in Alabama. I need a scope for low light conditions. I hunt in Canada also once every two or three years. I have $900.00. to spend. What do you recommend for quality and durability?
bama
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 07:27
I just used a Docter 3-12x56 on a hunt last weekend.It is amazing at low light, it is by far brighter than my Zeiss Conquest.The cost is about what your looking to spend.The scope is made in Germany and is quality.I want to buy this scope also because it works so well in low light.Only found two companies on the net which have them for sale here in the U.S. I believe that this scope is made in the Zeiss factory so it has to be good.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 07:47
I'd say Swarovski AV 1" tube 3-10x42 is one of the best  $800-$900 scopes ever made.  Great resale too.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 08:05
kahles cl
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:30
Also had the Meopta 4-12x40, though I think I would chose the Swaro 3-10 AV.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:42
Another vote for Swaro   Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 17:19
A Kahles 3-9x42 would be an excellent scope. It has the same glass and coatings as the 30mm C models. The glass is excellent and the scopes are tanks built for hunting. In a 1" tube they are a definite step up from Zeiss Conquest. http://www.swfa.com/pc-13252-1219-kahles-3-9x42-helia-kx-riflescope.aspx
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 18:03
Nothing with a 1" tube, so says Zeiss and Swarovski.

Kahles, Bushnell 6500, lots of fine choices (though I still don't understand the need for the multi-zero kahles, and don't think I'd spend the extra $$ on that feature.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 19:04
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Kahles, Bushnell 6500, lots of fine choices (though I still don't understand the need for the multi-zero kahles, and don't think I'd spend the extra $$ on that feature.)

Really on a 7mm too?? I wonder if Kahles recommends the same?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 19:53

Why nothing with a 1" tube? Doesn't make any sense. Except the high dollar Zeiss and Swaro are 30mm. I guess, recommend the high end stuff, and make more money.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tundraotto View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tundraotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 07:48
if you have to have the 30mm tube go nikon monarch X, Bushnell elite 6500 etc....or Elite 4200 6-24X50 and share the top dog bushnell glass before you step into the European money....
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 12:28
This is an easy one.  I highly recommend this scope, I have the same without the multizero, too bad they don't have any left!

8630 Kahles 3-10x50 Helia CL Multizero 51723, Matte finish, 1" tube, plex reticle, side focus, fast focus eye piece, allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, close to new condition. $1,315.00 $749.95

this would be good too:

4956 Kahles 3.5-10x50 American Hunter Matte finish, one inch tube, plex reticle, fast focus eye piece, ring marks. $806.00 $599.95

and if you really want the 30mm
6236 Kahles 2.5-10x50 Helia CS Multizero 51825, Matte finish, 30mm tube, plex reticle, fast focus eye piece, Allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, no ring marks, close to new condition. $1,879.00 $999.95
take em!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 12:37
Don't bother with the bushnell 6500 or 4200 if you a truly after low light capability.  They are no where near good European glass in low light.  They are a great day scope but not so much in low light. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 11:17
30mm euro glass will set him back way over $900.  The swaro a that was recommended is great, as is the Conquest, as is the Elite 4200.  All are bright, clear, and very tough (I have all of these).  There is absolutely no need for a 30mm tube in hunting scopes/rifles.  The better 1" tubes are more than adequate.  I would shy away from Kahles from a service/customer support standpoint, not an optics standpoint. 
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 11:20
Get a Kahles CL w/multizero off the sample list and don't look back.
Robert
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 11:27
i wouldnt let the current import issue or cs issue deter me from buying a kahles, i have enough faith in there product that i wouldnt let it worry me one bit, kahles makes some of the finest scopes in the world. have no fear
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 11:27
Why the multizero?  I understand why the scope was made (for a swap-barrel rifle) but cannot understand why so many here offer them as the best choice.

The erector assembly in a 1" tube is not as robust as that in 30mm tubes (so says Zeiss and Swaro) and thus the "no magnum" advice by both.

If you want a 1" tube on your magnum, go for it!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 11:29
if you have any doubts about kahles read this
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=728
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 14:46
I've got a CL multizer0 on my 7 mag and it is performing perfectly.  Multizer0 is nice b/c all I have to do is turn a dial a couple of clicks for distance, I've got zeros set at 200 300 400 500 600 yards so it's a nice feature.  I have a Kahles C on my 300 mag and it is holding up fine as well.  The CL will be fine on your magnum don't worry about it.  
Robert
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 15:20

Why the multizero?  I understand why the scope was made (for a swap-barrel rifle) but cannot understand why so many here offer them as the best choice.

I do because they don't have any non-multizero's on the samplelist!  I'm not recommending because of the MZ, actually in spite of it!  I was lucky enough to get a CL without the MZ and it was cheaper too!  But the ones on the samplelist with the MZ are still a great buy!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic